Mag 537 just out of the box newbie questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speedy delivery from Walmart but I have concerns that this one was returned before, maybe never used but at least opened before. Packaging looks OK but not pristine. Couple of smudges on the underside and the plastic bags look like they have been opened and then re-taped closed.

There was no "initial setup" display when connected. Furthermore the DVD tray opened on command from the remote and the quick start instructions say it is not supposed to open until "initial setup is completed".

I couldn't find any way to get to an "initial setup menu" so I just hit the "menu" button.

The Menu display only allows me to select General settings or Timer programs. The remaining items on the main menu display (Title List /Disc edit / HDDmenu / Dubbing) are all greyed out. I went thru all the General settings, set the time and autoprogrammed in the analog channels with no problems. Those other menu items are still greyed out and not selectable. Any idea why?

Maybe there is still something else needs to be set up?

Is there a way to recall the "initial setup" menu?

This Autostart Recording function bugs me! There are times I would use it but I'd like the option to turn it off. Is there any way to turn off the "Autostart Recording" function? I've looked thru the manual and don't see any option to turn it off. This seems like unnecessary wear on the hard drive and I'm not going to need it most of the time.

Well maybe I need to read thru the manual more thoroughly but I'm kinda turned off by the condition of this thing on opening it.

Any help on the above questions much appreciated. Thanks!biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142

You can use the SKIP 079 procedure, Step 1 only, to check HDD On time, and the SKIP 123 procedure for DVD read/write time, as described in help files 8.a and 8.b in the list of help files on page 1 of the Sticky thread. (Click 1st link in my sig. if you don't already have that list bookmarked.) Those might provide a clue on whether new or used...  refurb'd units will show accumulated usage time.

There is really no official "Initial Setup" menu item to invoke if already set up. On  a new machine, a series of menus opens automatically under an "Initial Setup" banner for the critical setup functions, like clock, OSD Language, and channel scan (Auto Channel Preset). You can access each of those manually thru the General Setting > OSD Language, Channel, and Clock menus.

If the SKIP menus suggest prior usage, I'd call them and threaten to return it or at least get a discount as a "used" or "refurbished" item. Walmart has sold refurb'd 533's and 535's, but not 537's... hopefully, you're not the 1st to inadvertently buy a refurb'd 537 from Walmart!?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, those self check codes seem to indicate little or no previous usage altho I am still betting that the box was opened before.

Hard drive usage shows 3 hours which about how long I had the machine on last night. This brings me to my major complaint, the "auto recording" function. This may or may not be a deal breaker for me, I haven't decided yet. Why in the world don't they have an option to turn that auto record function off??? Seems like such a simple no brainer to me. Would save energy and save wear on the hard drive if you don't need it, and I don't!

Then the next question remains:
Why I can only select the first 2 items ("General Setting" and "timer Programming") in the menu and the other 4 items are greyed out and not selectable.
Any ideas on that? Thanks
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8r View Post

Thanks, those self check codes seem to indicate little or no previous usage altho I am still betting that the box was opened before.

Hard drive usage shows 3 hours which about how long I had the machine on last night. This brings me to my major complaint, the "auto recording" function. This may or may not be a deal breaker for me, I haven't decided yet. Why in the world don't they have an option to turn that auto record function off??? Seems like such a simple no brainer to me. Would save energy and save wear on the hard drive if you don't need it, and I don't!

Then the next question remains:
Why I can only select the first 2 items ("General Setting" and "timer Programming") in the menu and the other 4 items are greyed out and not selectable.
Any ideas on that? Thanks

There's no way to shut the AR off. Besides, expert articles say running a HDD is less wear-and-tear to a HDD than turning it on and off. In fact, mfgrs switched run time/longervity stats to start/stop cycles (or load cycle) since that, according to them, is more "stressful" for a HDD than spinning w/o load.

Edit: I should have mentioned one unacceptable way of turning AR off... put the Mag on Source L3. As long s it's on L3, no AR, but then ....

General Setting menu options are activated based on the possibility that they can be done. For example, Title List and HDD Menu are only active after you get some titles on the HDD, and Disc Edit and Dubbing menus only after you have a DVD fully loaded in the tray.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

There's no way to shut the AR off. Besides, expert articles say running a HDD is less wear-and-tear to a HDD than turning it on and off. In fact, mfgrs switched run time/longervity stats to start/stop cycles (or load cycle) since that, according to them, is more "stressful" for a HDD than spinning w/o load.

Thanks Wajo,
I can sort of understand that but I still say that it would be so simple to have the option to override the auto record for those who don't need it.
Maybe I can live with it, I haven't decided.

OK next question, Is there a way to save what's been recorded during Auto-record?
Again it seems like a no brainer that there could be times when something captured during auto-record would be worth saving, perhaps even dubbing over to DVD. Have not seen this addressed in the manual.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Wajo,
I can sort of understand that but I still say that it would be so simple to have the option to override the auto record for those who don't need it.
Maybe I can live with it, I haven't decided.

OK next question, Is there a way to save what's been recorded during Auto-record?
Again it seems like a no brainer that there could be times when something captured during auto-record would be worth saving, perhaps even dubbing over to DVD. Have not seen this addressed in the manual.

If for nothing else, you'll want AR for Pause Live TV and for Saving the 6-hour buffer to the HDD, both described here.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If for nothing else, you'll want AR for Pause Live TV and for Saving the 6-hour buffer to the HDD, both described here.

HI Wajo
Thanks for that link. Not exactly intuitive but at least there is that option to save. I'm still not happy about the whole AR deal. It's not so much that the drive is always powered up, more that it is always recording and then erasing. Doesn't this eventually cause fragmenting? Certainly more fragmenting than if it didn't always record.

I'll give it a few days while I explore the other functions.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:

HI Wajo
Thanks for that link. Not exactly intuitive but at least there is that option to save. I'm still not happy about the whole AR deal. It's not so much that the drive is always powered up, more that it is always recording and then erasing. Doesn't this eventually cause fragmenting? Certainly more fragmenting than if it didn't always record.

I'll give it a few days while I explore the other functions.

No frag from AR since it's just a temp. recording, gone on shutdown, switch to external source, or certain other actions listed in that help file. Thus, just big chunks of "free space" to overwrite again.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Would the AR process be included in the hours of hard drive usage on that page that comes up with "Skip-0-7-9"?
Old 07-14-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Would the AR process be included in the hours of hard drive usage on that page that comes up with "Skip-0-7-9"?

HDD On time is time when the machine is on, whether recording or not (like on a menu that stops AR). I tested this long ago and can't remember all the details my tests might have revealed (I kept stats, etc.).

BTW, I gave you the wrong SKIP numbers for DVD read/write time... it's SKIP 321. Exit with Return button.

Tags
Magnavox Mdr537h 1 Tb Dvd Recorder Hdd With Digital Tuner Black
Gear in this thread