DVR with Digital Tuner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am really new to the DVR world. Does the DVR with Digital Tuner function like a "TiVo:? Can you record one show and watch another? Can you program for future, based on the TV codes (those little numbers that they say will anchor recording)?

As I said I am really new at this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVORASNELL View Post

I am really new to the DVR world.
1 - Does the DVR with Digital Tuner function like a "TiVo:?
2 - Can you record one show and watch another?
3 - Can you program for future, based on the TV codes (those little numbers that they say will anchor recording)?

As I said I am really new at this

1 - A TiVo records and plays recorded programs. By definition the answer is YES, but with a million exceptions.

2 - If the DVR has a dual tuner. You can usually record one and watch a recording.

3 - Not to my knowledge.

This is a Standard Definition forum. Try searching the HDTV Recorders forum for other information. Try here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-in-the-us/0_50

Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVORASNELL View Post

I am really new to the DVR world. Does the DVR with Digital Tuner function like a "TiVo:?

Are you talking about the Magnavox DVD recorder with a hard drive? If so, the answer is "sort of, depending on what you want to do." It can record unattended to its hard drive, and do stuff like pause live TV (chase play.)
Quote:
Can you record one show and watch another?

Maybe, depending on your setup and TV provider (if you have one.) You will need a second tuner, such as the one in your TV. But we need more info on how you're currently getting TV (antenna, satellite, cable, etc.)

There are a lot of variables depending on what you have and want.
Quote:
Can you program for future, based on the TV codes (those little numbers that they say will anchor recording)?

Are you talking the old VCR+ codes? Or something like a cable box's guide? No, those don't work with the Magnavox.

If on the otherhand you're talking about a cable company's DVR (Digital Video Recorder) and not a DVD recorder, then yes, it'll work like a TiVo, though it won't have as many extra features.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!