Magnavox 533 Will Not Record Unless TV is On - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Magnavox 533 connected to an antenna, no cable box just OTA. It records perfectly if the TV is on and tuned to the channel being recorded, but each time I set a timer recording with the TV off or tuned to a different channel, it records nothing at all. No sound, no video. I've gone through the manual and I seem to be doing everything right, but still cannot successfully record using the timer programming feature. The main reason I bought the 533 was to record while I am away! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Antenna coax to Antenna In on 533

Antenna Out on 533 to Antenna In on TV (Sony Bravia HDTV)

HDMI Out from 533 to HDMI In on TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 PM

I am assuming you use an HDMI cable to connect the recorder to the TV. If so, try turning fun-Link off (what a stupid name) if it is on. I'm looking at page 115 of my manual and that is the setting for turning both devices on when the recorder is activated. There may be a conflict.

TVFOOL report

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply mirayage--tried a timed recording with "fun-link" both off and on. Same result. The 533 starts and stops recording as programmed, but no audio or video is recorded unless the TV is on and tuned to the channel scheduled for recording.

Additionally, I just set up a timed recording with the TV off, waited for a few minutes, switched the TV on, then back off again. When I played the timed recording back it was blank except for the moment I switched the TV on, then it was blank again.

I'm completely baffled!
post #4 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm242 View Post

Thanks for the reply mirayage--tried a timed recording with "fun-link" both off and on. Same result. The 533 starts and stops recording as programmed, but no audio or video is recorded unless the TV is on and tuned to the channel scheduled for recording.

Additionally, I just set up a timed recording with the TV off, waited for a few minutes, switched the TV on, then back off again. When I played the timed recording back it was blank except for the moment I switched the TV on, then it was blank again.

I'm completely baffled!

First, make sure the coax from the antenna in on the TOP connector on back of Mag.

If so, try connecting to your TV with a diff. cable type, like Composite YWR RCA, S-Video or Component RGB... no HDMI connected. Select that other TV input to see what the Mag is doing.

Then, if no joy, connect the antenna to a 2-way splitter with one output to Mag and one to TV. This will eliminate the coax pass-through circuit as a possible suspect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #5 of 12 Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I'm completely baffled!

That is a "issue" with the HDMI inputs of the new TVs that companies don't want to accept or change, due to the minor number of users affected, like you.

Until a major TV firmware fix, best answer is to leave the HDMI cable off and back to component or composite. Or just leave the TV on all the time. mad.gif
post #6 of 12 Old 07-28-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks wajo--been away from home, but I will try your suggestion tomorrow and see if there is any joy. If HDMI connection is the culprit, as profhat says, I hope the component connection works, as I don't want to have to leave the telly on 24/7 smile.gif
post #7 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
  • Quote:

I have the Magnavox 533 connected to an antenna, no cable box just OTA. It records perfectly if the TV is on and tuned to the channel being recorded, but each time I set a timer recording with the TV off or tuned to a different channel, it records nothing at all. No sound, no video. I've gone through the manual and I seem to be doing everything right, but still cannot successfully record using the timer programming feature. The main reason I bought the 533 was to record while I am away! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Antenna coax to Antenna In (TOP) on 533

Antenna Out (BOTTOM) on 533 to Antenna In on TV (Sony Bravia HDTV)

HDMI Out from 533 to HDMI In on TV
    Sounds 'almost' right to me - connection-wise, I see no problem. I don't see how the channel selected on the TV affects the channel selected to record on the 533?!? confused.gif
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by mirayge View Post

I am assuming you use an HDMI cable to connect the recorder to the TV. If so, try turning fun-Link off (what a stupid name) if it is on...
    With the OTA Antenna Coax connected DIRECTLY to the 533 Antenna In, I don't see how the HDMI OUT can affect the recordings *UNLESS* the Fun-Link is preventing the 533 from powering on. But, the OP said he tried it both ways...
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Quote:

...Additionally, I just set up a timed recording with the TV off, waited for a few minutes, switched the TV on, then back off again. When I played the timed recording back it was blank except for the moment I switched the TV on, then it was blank again.

I'm completely baffled!
    First, make sure the coax from the antenna in on the TOP connector on back of Mag.

If so, try connecting to your TV with a diff. cable type, like Composite YWR RCA, S-Video or Component RGB... no HDMI connected. Select that other TV input to see what the Mag is doing.

Then, if no joy, connect the antenna to a 2-way splitter with one output to Mag and one to TV. This will eliminate the coax pass-through circuit as a possible suspect.
    bkm242,

With the TV off:
    • Does the 533 POWER UP 2 minutes before the scheduled record time?
      - If not, did you try disconnecting HDMI and connecting COMPOSITE?
    • Does the 533 front display start counting up?
    wajo,

Reasonable troubleshooting, but
    1. Why does the 533 depend on the power state of the TV if the 'Fun-Link' is disabled?
    2. Why would a splitter be different from a direct connection to the wall?
    confused.gif
    The BIG question, IMHO, is whether or not the 533 is powering up for the scheduled Timer Recording.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by profhat View Post

That is a "issue" with the HDMI inputs of the new TVs that companies don't want to accept or change, due to the minor number of users affected, like you.

Until a major TV firmware fix, best answer is to leave the HDMI cable off and back to component or composite. Or just leave the TV on all the time. mad.gif
    Please explain this "issue" a bit more. With my MINIMAL understanding of the HDMI Interface, I can understand how ENABLE'ng the Fun-Link on the 533 could control the Power State. But the OP says he DISABLEd it?!? confused.gif

AFAIK, even with NO OUTPUTs connected on the 533, an OTA Antenna connected to Antenna IN (TOP) should record.
Looking forward to reading the solution! smile.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

Remember, it's only TV...
post #8 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Just tried disconnecting the HDMI and connecting first component cables, then composite, as suggested by wajo. Same problem. I then connected a 2 way splitter to the antenna feed as suggested. Same problem. I'm going to contact Magnavox/Funai tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. The box is only a few months old so it should still be under warranty.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just tried...
Thanks for the feedback! smile.gif

LURKing to see what Funai has to say - still not working with the HDMI cable disconnected has me puzzled.

What about my questions at to whether or not the 533 is actually powering ON and counting UP with the TV OFF?

post #10 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

ClearToLand,

The 533 powers up prior to a timed recording. It goes into record mode and the counter on the front display shows the recording in progress. If the TV is ON, it records audio and video perfectly. If the TV is OFF, it records for the proper length of time as set in the timer programming menu, but the recording is blank on playback. I have started a timed recording with the TV off, then switched the TV on during the recording, then switched it back off again. Upon playback, when the TV is OFF there is no audio or video, when the TV is ON there is audio and video.

I have verified all of the connections several times, and have tried with HDMI (all three slots on the TV), composite cables and component cables. I don't have an S-video connection on my TV, so that is the only connection I haven't been able to make. Having to leave the TV on in order to use the timer programming function pretty much defeats the purpose of the timer programming function!
post #11 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just tried disconnecting the HDMI and connecting first component cables, then composite, as suggested by wajo. Same problem. I then connected a 2 way splitter to the antenna feed as suggested. Same problem. I'm going to contact Magnavox/Funai tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. The box is only a few months old so it should still be under warranty.
  1. Did your setup work with the TV OFF before 7/21/13 at 11:18pm (your first post)?
  2. What Manufacturer / Model Number is your HDTV?
  3. Do you have another HDTV, or CRT, that you can connect?
  4. Try scheduling a short recording for a few minutes in the future with the TV Coax connection disconnected - i.e. Wall to 533 RF IN. When the recording ends, see if anything recorded.
    - Besides a faulty 533, the only WAG thoughts I'm getting are that the TV Coax IN is shorting out when powered down. Yeah, it makes no sense to me either. Same with having the TV tuned to a different channel disabling the 533 Timed Recording. We'll see what Funai says.
  5. Is the 'few months old' less than 90 days / did you purchase it from Walmart?
At this point, I'm out of ideas... frown.gif

post #12 of 12 Old 08-01-2013, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

ClearToLand,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't try the timer programming until 7/21, so I can't say if it was an issue before then. I've just set up a timed recording with the TV coax disconnected and the antenna coax IN to the 533 only (no antenna OUT).

TV is OFF and no antenna OUT from 533 to TV antenna IN
533 is OFF (powered up when timer programming recording started) with antenna IN only
Counter on front of 533 is counting UP . . . . .

SUCCESS! It recorded audio and video with the TV OFF. I'll set up another timer programming recording for later today and see if this has fixed the problem. I should be able to run the antenna coax back in to the TV using the 2 way splitter and bypassing the antenna OUT on the 533, right?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page