Mediacom switch to all digital and the effect it will have on my PANASONIC DVD Recorder Model No. DMR-EH55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mediacom will be switching to all digital in our area in a couple of months. I currently have my PANASONIC DMR-EH55 connected directly to the cable with an HDMI cable out to the HDTV to view recorded programs and an RF cable from the DVR to the TV. When the switch occurs I could connect the cable to a Mediacom digital adapter but I suspect that would mess up my TV viewing.
. Do I need a split connecting the cable directly to my TV and to the digital adapter box? Or am I "hosed" when the digital switch occurs ... meaning no more DVR recording?

Bob R .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
When you say "DVR", do you mean the Panasonic? Because DVR to most people is a cable company digital video recorder.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 354
The EH55 does not have a digital tuner so you will only be able to record the output of an STB. If your TV has a digital tuner, you can still plug the cable into the TV, UNLESS, they scramble all the channels and you get no clear QAM.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

OK ... the cable comes in from the wall. I plug it into a digital adapter then run that into the PANASONIC EH55.
HOW do I get the DIGITAL signal to the TV?

Bob R .
post #5 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr2k View Post

OK ... the cable comes in from the wall. I plug it into a digital adapter then run that into the PANASONIC EH55.
HOW do I get the DIGITAL signal to the TV?

A splitter should work, one to the TV, one to the adapter. Adapter to the recorder.

If the channels are encrypted, then we have to discuss whether the adapter puts out HD video (highly unlikely) and whether you need to step up to a full HD cable box.

post #6 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A splitter should work, one to the TV, one to the adapter. Adapter to the recorder.
Now, can we get more specific? Can anyone recommend such a splitter? And where it can be purchased?

Bob R .
post #7 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr2k View Post

Now, can we get more specific? Can anyone recommend such a splitter? And where it can be purchased?
RadioShack. Just ask the guy at the desk for a balanced 2-way splitter with equal loss on each channel.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

RadioShack. Just ask the guy at the desk for a balanced 2-way splitter with equal loss on each channel.

Maybe I missed something, but an rf splitter isn't going to be useful when it's all digital and the DVR doesn't have a digital tuner. If the STB has active analog outputs when using HDMI to the TV, then the Panasonic can record from the channel the box is tuned to and playback to a different HDMI input on the TV. Or am I off base here?

To simplify:

digital only rf to STB

STB HDMI to TV

STB analog to Panasonic

Panasonic HDMI to TV

post #9 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

To simplify:
digital only rf to STB
STB HDMI to TV
STB analog to Panasonic
Panasonic HDMI to TV
That's another possible configuration. But right now he uses no STB. He has the straight cable feed into the EH55 for analog recording and daisy chained to the HDTV for analog & clear QAM. When it goes all digital he can still run the cable direct to the HDTV for clear QAM but he'll need an STB to feed the EH55. That will allow him to operate the HDTV and EH55 independently. He talks about a "digital adapter" which implies the garbage box they supply for free that is primarily suitable for old analog CRT's. You would only want to use such a box on a DVDR.

My previous post above indicated that configuration would be OK unless they scrambled the clear QAM's in which case he would need to rent a real STB to feed HD to his TV and possibly piggyback the DVDR off the analog output. If he still wanted the ability to operate the HDTV and EH55 independently he would have to rent/acquire a separate STB for the EH55. And, of course, we've said nothing about the fact that in all probability the analog output from the STB to the EH55 will be letterboxed for a 4:3 CRT display and appear as a postage stamp on his 16:9 HDTV.

In any event, once his cable co goes all digital he will find it very inconvenient to use his existing equipment. He will either have to get more sophisticated and be willing live with far less convenience and capabilities or just rent a cable DVR.

- kelson h

post #10 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Maybe I missed something, but an rf splitter isn't going to be useful when it's all digital and the DVR doesn't have a digital tuner. If the STB has active analog outputs when using HDMI to the TV, then the Panasonic can record from the channel the box is tuned to and playback to a different HDMI input on the TV. Or am I off base here?

To simplify:
    digital only rf to STB
    STB HDMI to TV
    STB analog to Panasonic
    Panasonic HDMI to TV
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

A splitter should work, one to the TV, one to the adapter. Adapter to the recorder...
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

To simplify (as I interpreted it wink.gif ):
  • Wall to 2-way splitter
  • Port 1 to TV
  • Port 2 to STB
  • STB to Panasonic DVDR
jjeff likes this.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Remember, it's only TV...
post #11 of 14 Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions.

Bob R .
post #12 of 14 Old 08-01-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No problem. We all feel the pain of trying to make our equipment work in an era when technology changes every time you turn around. smile.gif

post #13 of 14 Old 10-14-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

OK ... the 2 way splitter works like a charm. smile.gif The G-link is not communicating with the PACE digital adapter's Infrared Receiver - it can't find a code that works. As a result:
1. DIGITAL TV works great with INPUT set to TV
2. DVR works great with channel set to 3 and INPUT set to HDMI
3. DVR will not TUNE to the proper channel via GLINK because of the missing code.

RESULT: I can record whatever channel the digital adapter device channel is set

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks again for all the help thus far..

Bob

Bob R .
post #14 of 14 Old 10-14-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The EH-55 is a '06 model with codes that was designed for '06 and older devices, if your device doesn't use a older code(as many/most DTAs seem to do) you will have no other choice other than to record the one channel you've left your converter on, Panasonic has not nor will they update the codes via a firmware update, just no real incentive for them to do such. Some STBs have the option to set a time when the STB automatically switches channels but since the whole point of cable companies it to make more money, they have very little incentive to do such a thing. They would much rather you rent a DVR so they can make a monthly fee mad.gif
You could check if Mediacom has any different STBs but more than likely they will all lack a auto change channel function, but it may be worth a try.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page