Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I was meandering through Amazon yesterday and look what I found:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMR-EH75VS-Recorder-Combo-Drive/dp/B000FKKO74/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1375379289&sr=8-4

I thought prices like $1,164 for one of these was long past. I guess hope springs eternal for someone who needs cash. It's listed as NEW! Isn't that all but impossible? It could be in like-new condition, but new? There is also the following blurb buried deep in the description...

Condition: New

Brand new in retail box complete! Box has been opened for inspection and to verify all accessories which includes remote control, power cord, a/v cable, IR blaster, (1) DVD-RAM disc, and (2) AA batteries! User's manual has been replaced with new double sided copy.

If it was really brand new, why open the box? Not that there was even the slightest possibility of my purchasing it at anything like that price (considering how many DVD recorders I have, it's unlikely I would have purchased it even at a reasonable price) but the whole thing looks fishy, and grossly overpriced.

Think that there will be any takers?

Luke

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Luke
Na, while not as bad as ebay Amazon also has it's share of hucksters preying on people that have more money than brains rolleyes.gif
While I'm 99.99% sure something like that overpriced EH-75v will never sell, it's nice to know that someone with just too much money has a way to waste it biggrin.gif
post #3 of 14 Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Only plausible scenario: Somebody bought it new back in the day, opened the box, pulled the manual to read it, discovered it was dreadfully complicated, put the box on a shelf, lost the manual, and - "WALLAH!!" - 7 years later, a new EH-75 on the 'Zon for a ridiculous price.

I have done that: opened the box to make sure the thing's intact and grabbed the manual to study up.....although I usually do fire up the machine to make sure it works.

But yes, I often wonder if anybody really does pony up and buy these items. Or does the seller finally have to do some mark-downs? Should monitor this one just for the heck of it....

Anyway, I wish I'd been plugged in and had the presence of mind to get one of those when they were new but being blown out at psycho-neurotic prices at places like Best Buy. Would have made the VHS-to-DVD dubbing project easier. ~doswonk
post #4 of 14 Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

Only plausible scenario: Somebody bought it new back in the day, opened the box, pulled the manual to read it, discovered it was dreadfully complicated, put the box on a shelf, lost the manual, and - "WALLAH!!" - 7 years later, a new EH-75 on the 'Zon for a ridiculous price.

I have done that: opened the box to make sure the thing's intact and grabbed the manual to study up.....although I usually do fire up the machine to make sure it works.

But yes, I often wonder if anybody really does pony up and buy these items. Or does the seller finally have to do some mark-downs? Should monitor this one just for the heck of it....

Anyway, I wish I'd been plugged in and had the presence of mind to get one of those when they were new but being blown out at psycho-neurotic prices at places like Best Buy. Would have made the VHS-to-DVD dubbing project easier. ~doswonk

That IS a plausible explanation. *I* couldn't come up with one for a NEW item without a manual.

Like you, I thought the EH75 would work great for my VHS to DVD dubbing project. It turns out to have not been useful at all, as a dubbing machine. I found the implementation of the VHS deck during dubbing to be problematic at best, so I ended up using it as a recorder only, and used my VHS decks for playback. I don't know why exactly, but using separate units gave me much better results. The EH75 works great as just a recorder, but for some reason. not as a dubbing machine, which is what it was designed for. confused.gif Maybe if had not used 9 hour tapes at EP speed...

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 14 Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

There might be. I remember this member purchasing a new Panasonic DMR-EZ48V for $800.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #6 of 14 Old 08-05-2013, 03:06 PM

Liked: 10
I bought a Toshiba RD-XS54SU with a 250 gig hard drive (?) on Craigslist last month for $30. Everything works. I also have a Panny DMR EH250S and a Magnavox H2160. But the Panasonic quit burning CDs.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 PM

Liked: 20
One born every minute. Haven't seen any 1,000 dollar dvrs but have seen this one guy on ebay with several different model 2-3 year old ones

still in the box and he got 500-600 dollars multiple times.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-07-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I never thought of them as an investment. Maybe I should have taken that up as a business model? biggrin.gif

Luke

post #9 of 14 Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I made about an $800 profit when I sold mine years ago. I didn't intend to speculate or rip anyone off, that was just the going price at the time I decided to sell. If I had known they were going to be discontinued and nearly triple in price, I'd have bought several. Now that TVGOS is dead and tuners are digital, what's the appeal of this model now? I don't get it.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

........Amazon also has it's share of hucksters preying on people that have more money than brains rolleyes.gif
While I'm 99.99% sure something like that overpriced EH-75v will never sell, it's nice to know that someone with just too much money has a way to waste it biggrin.gif

Right now i'm recording "Baby Face Nelson"(1957) off YT thru my Roku 2XS. It's a pretty good gangster movie.I checked Amazon to see if i could by a remastered copy...there was one....the seller wants $4,678.89.eek.gif....and i'll bet it's not even a remastered version.mad.gif
post #11 of 14 Old 08-11-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

Right now i'm recording "Baby Face Nelson"(1957) off YT thru my Roku 2XS. It's a pretty good gangster movie.I checked Amazon to see if i could by a remastered copy...there was one....the seller wants $4,678.89.eek.gif....and i'll bet it's not even a remastered version.mad.gif

Have you seen the rest of that seller's wares? They have a number of things that are beyond ridiculously priced, including some stuff you can get elsewhere for normal prices. They also have only two feedback responses, both in the past week, despite saying they've been in the business for twenty-four years. Uh-huh.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #12 of 14 Old 08-12-2013, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

........Amazon also has it's share of hucksters preying on people that have more money than brains rolleyes.gif

eek.gif Okay, THAT has my outrageous over priced EH75 completely beat! eek.gif

Luke

post #13 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 AM

Liked: 10
Well, Amazon shows that this item is Currently unavailable....so, was the listing changed, or did someone find this "deal" too good to miss out on?
post #14 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berigan View Post

Well, Amazon shows that this item is Currently unavailable....so, was the listing changed, or did someone find this "deal" too good to miss out on?

Interesting. As you say, the EH75 is no longer listed. I wonder if it actually sold at that price?confused.gif

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Roku 2 Xs 1080p Streaming Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page