Question: About my DMR-EH68? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My question is that I have a DMR-EH68 Model from Panasonic and every time that I do a high-speed copy the machine will make a couple of funny sounds and it won't copy from the HDD to the DVD Disc. It says that the copy was unsuccessful or dirty disc. Would a DVD Lens Cleaning kit help this problem out and if so what brand of DVD cleaning lens cleaner would you recommend.
Thanks for any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48

What brand blank dvds are you using? Also read this post on cleaning the hub/spindle, and see if the alcohol trick can help you out.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1014536/official-panasonic-dmr-ez48vk-thread/1500#post_23557762

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I am using Sony blank DVD-r's discs and Memorex blank DVD-r discs.
What is interesting is that if I put a commercial DVD disc in, it seems to revive it for a while or a DVD-RAM disc. Then it works okay for about 10 copies or so before the problem occurs again.
I would hate to have to open up the machine, DMR-EH68, unless there was no other choice.
I have wondered if you could recommend a really good DVD lens Cleaning kit disc and if that would help out first.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVMARTY View Post

I am using Sony blank DVD-r's discs and Memorex blank DVD-r discs.
What is interesting is that if I put a commercial DVD disc in, it seems to revive it for a while or a DVD-RAM disc. Then it works okay for about 10 copies or so before the problem occurs again.
I would hate to have to open up the machine, DMR-EH68, unless there was no other choice.
I have wondered if you could recommend a really good DVD lens Cleaning kit disc and if that would help out first.

A lens cleaner does not address the main problem with Panasonic DVD Drives, a dirty rubber hub.

No, you don't have to open the recorder or DVD Drive lid. The various procedures are described and illustrated in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVMARTY View Post

My question is that I have a DMR-EH68 Model from Panasonic and every time that I do a high-speed copy the machine will make a couple of funny sounds and it won't copy from the HDD to the DVD Disc. It says that the copy was unsuccessful or dirty disc. Would a DVD Lens Cleaning kit help this problem out and if so what brand of DVD cleaning lens cleaner would you recommend.
Thanks for any information.

DigaDo has the hub cleaning answer, and fro your problem statement, it sounds very likely that a dirty hub is the culprit here. I have some questions though:
How old is your machine in terms of hours of use, do you use it a lot, or infrequently?
Do you use it as a recorder exclusively, or do you use it as a player as well?
Do you smoke, and/or is the environment excessively dusty?
DO you have children that use your EH68?
Do you hold the disks by sticking your finger through the hole, or do you handle them only by the edge?

The use of Memorex is advised against. There are really only two brands of blank disk that are recommended these days. First is the Verbatim line using the AZO dye, NOT the other lines--not the LifeSeries but the DataLife Plus--yes the names are so close they are confusing. The other recommended brand is Taiyo-Yuden. These are available from many internet sites like Supermediastore and Rima. I definitely recommend you switch to one of those.

Lastly, when doing high speed dubs, if you have the highest speed mode selected, I recommend you change to what Panasonic calls "Silent Mode". I have had much better quality disks since changing this. Yes, it takes a little bit longer, but it's worth it.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 11 Old 08-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

First is the Verbatim line using the AZO dye, NOT the other lines--not DataLife Plus.

Luke,

I'm sorry but I have to correct you here. The Verbatim's DataLifePlus line of discs is a good AZO line, mostly printable discs. You were thinking about LifeSeries which is a landfill grade junk.
jjeff likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypeter View Post

Quote:

First is the Verbatim line using the AZO dye, NOT the other lines--not DataLife Plus.

Luke,

I'm sorry but I have to correct you here. The Verbatim's DataLifePlus line of discs is a good AZO line, mostly printable discs. You were thinking about LifeSeries which is a landfill grade junk.

Yikes! All I can ever really remember is GET THE AZO LINE! I can never remember if it's the DataLifePlus or LifeSeries. Thanks for the correction. Why oh why did Verbatim give them such similar names?

Many apologies if I have led anyone astray! frown.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #8 of 11 Old 08-10-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypeter View Post

Quote:

Luke,

Yikes! All I can ever really remember is GET THE AZO LINE! I can never remember if it's the DataLifePlus or LifeSeries. Thanks for the correction. Why oh why did Verbatim give them such similar names?

Many apologies if I have led anyone astray! frown.gif

A good thing with AVS is that one may go back to edit one's old posts to correct errors or update information.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #9 of 11 Old 08-10-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Unlike another forum I use to frequent but haven't visited in probably a year(formerly cd freaks). I've removed my bookmark so I'll probably never be back smile.gif
post #10 of 11 Old 08-10-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Unlike another forum I use to frequent but haven't visited in probably a year(formerly cd freaks). I've removed my bookmark so I'll probably never be back smile.gif

Your last post there was 11-03-2012. (In that forum the date format is not the one most Americans use. That date translates to 11 March 2012.)

At CD Freaks/MyCe I've had more password complications using my DigaDo identity so now I'm back to using my VoxHumana identity.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-10-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A good thing with AVS is that one may go back to edit one's old posts to correct errors or update information.

Well that's a good idea. smile.gif Thanks for mentioning it. I have now fixed my post.

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page