Recording VHS to DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hoping this is the right area. I'm looking to put old VHS family videos on to DVD. I'd just like to hit play on the VHS and hit record on the DVD if that's an option. I have a Toshiba 295 VHS/DVD combo. Would this work? If so, how would I go about performing it on that device.

If not, what is the best/easiest way to perform this task?

I also, have a Windows 7 PC with a DVD RW burner/player and modest video editing software.

Also, how much time can I get on a normal DVD-R?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-15-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Hoping this is the right area. I'm looking to put old VHS family videos on to DVD. I'd just like to hit play on the VHS and hit record on the DVD if that's an option. I have a Toshiba 295 VHS/DVD combo. Would this work? If so, how would I go about performing it on that device.

If not, what is the best/easiest way to perform this task?

I also, have a Windows 7 PC with a DVD RW burner/player and modest video editing software.

Also, how much time can I get on a normal DVD-R?

Thank you.

When you mention a "Toshiba 295 VHS/DVD combo" I am assuming that you are referring to a Toshiba SD-V295 Tunerless DVD VCR Combo Player. That device plays and records to VHS videotapes and plays DVDs. This model does not record to DVDs.

You will need a DVD Recorder to record to DVDs. The SD-V295 (or any other VCR) may be used as the VHS player with the yellow video or S-Video output plus the white and red audio outputs connected to the corresponding inputs of a DVD Recorder. Then you play the videotape on the 295 while recording with the DVD Recorder.

I own a Toshiba SD-V395 VHS/DVD combo of 2003 vintage. That model was recently used for playing VHS home movies while connected to a Magnavox MDR515 HDD/DVD Recorder.

That mid-1980s home video followed a young man from awakening on his 21st birthday through his activities until early the next morning. These home videos were recorded in "real-time" to the Magnavox 515 model's internal hard drive. The material was then edited to remove a few glitches in the original recording. Then the material was divided into the five sequences found in the original recording:

THE 21ST BIRTHDAY

1-THE DAY STARTS, THE RX7, (10:31 MIN)
2-THE PARTY (12:06 MIN)
3-AT THE CLUB (23:09 MIN)
4-VISITING A FRIEND (8:02 MIN)
5-GOING SKATING (3:23 MIN)

Then the material was high-speed dubbed to a DVD. High-speed dubbing took about 15 minutes per DVD. Several copies were made for distribution among family members.

Due to the flexibility afforded by a Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorder I made an alternate version of the DVD as there was additional home-recorded material found on that videotape. The alternate version of the DVD has this content:

THE 21ST BIRTHDAY:

1-THE DAY STARTS, THE RX7 (10:31 MIN)
2-THE PARTY (12:06 MIN)
3-AT THE CLUB (23:09 MIN)
4-VISITING A FRIEND (8:02 MIN)
5-GOING SKATING (3:23 MIN)

BOB HOPE CHRISTMAS (TWO EXCERPTS), NBC, 12/16/1984:

6-A YOUNG TAP DANCER (3:19 MIN)
7-THANKS FOR THE MEMORY (3:14 MIN)

CHRISTMAS IN WASHINGTON, NBC, 12/16/1984:

8-COMPLETE PROGRAM W/O END CREDITS (55:59 MIN)

The amount of recording time for a blank DVD varies depending upon the "recording mode" selected on the DVD Recorder. The SP recording mode usually provides two hours of recorded content at the best picture quality one is likely to find on home-recorded videotapes. Other "recording mode" settings provide more recorded content but reduces the recorded picture quality. Most DVD Recorders have "recording modes" that provide three, four or six hours of recorded content per DVD. Some other DVD Recorders have additional "recording modes" that provide 2.5 hours, eight hours, even ten hours of recorded content per DVD. Of course, with six, eight or ten hours of recorded content the picture quality really suffers and most user manuals refer to these "recording modes" as providing "poor" picture quality.

The first post in Wajo's sticky thread is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/0_60#post_12244086
mijotter likes this.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 9 Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

... I'm looking to put old VHS family videos on to DVD... what is the best/easiest way to perform this task?

I ... have a Windows 7 PC with a DVD RW burner/player and modest video editing software...

To use a computer for this you will need some type of capture device to facilitate recording the material to the computer's hard drive. Then you will need to convert the material into a format that may be read by DVD Players. Then you will use the computer's DVD burner to make the DVDs.

Since I use a variety of HDD/DVD Recorders for this purpose I'll leave it to others to address the various procedures necessary to use a computer for this purpose.
mijotter likes this.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 9 Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thank you very much for the responses. My mother is in the hospital and she wanted old family videos on DVD for everyone, so i'm trying to get this done asap. I will head to Walmart and see if they have any recorders.

Also, I'm very interested in VHS to PC as well so I can archive everything.

post #5 of 9 Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The easiest and fastest way to get this done is to get a good VHS player, and the best one would be the one you used to make the tapes if it's still around, and a DVD recorder, and as you said, press record on the DVD recorder, play on the VHS player, and just let it go. This always worked for me! There are ways to make a better recording, but this is the really simple method.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

My mother is in the hospital and she wanted old family videos on DVD for everyone, so i'm trying to get this done asap.

If you're making multiple copies of the same DVD, I'd get one with a hard drive. Dub from VHS to the hard drive, then burn to DVD. An extra step initially, yes, but then once it's on the hard drive, you can now just burn to DVD for as many copies as you want. You don't have to replay the VHS tape over and over. If you have a bad burn on the DVD, you just put in a new disc and try again.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #7 of 9 Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I agree a HDD DVDR is best but once the OP had a finalized DVD he could just use a PC to make multiple copies. Since CP wouldn't be a issue, any DVD copying software would work.
Just saying if this is a one time deal a HDD DVDR may be a overkill smile.gif
post #8 of 9 Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Good advice. Yes, it can be a simple as connecting the audio and video from a vcr to the input on a dvd recorder (dvdr), pressing RECORD on the dvdr and PLAY on the vcr. In fact, you can go one better and press RECORD a seond time and the recorder will stop after 30 minutes; press RECORD a third time and it will stop after 1 hour, and so on up to a couple of hours. You won't need to babysit the recorder, unless you want to just to see what is being recorded.

Typically a dvd holds two hours of video at SD (standard definition), but as with tape, longer times can be selected, with reduced quality. Tapes can be added to a dvd until it runs out of space. When finished, the dvd must be "finalized" to be playable on other dvd players.

If the tapes have been editted and/or are well organized, the above procedure will probably be adequate. However, it has been my experience that family videos often are a hodge-podge of random recordings and would greatly benefit from selection, sequencing, combining and deleting. For this, you do NOT want a Magnavox. A Panasonic with HDD (builtin hard disc drive) is ideal. The only one I know of currently available in the US is the Panasonic EH59 or its sister,the EH69, from bhphotovideo. Load your tapes onto the HDD, then go to work on them using Panasonic's PLAYLIST feature, which references but makes no changes to the source titles on the HDD.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
FYI, I've found that the original quality of the source VHS tapes can usually be preserved to DVD at 2-hour mode for VHS tapes recorded in SP, and 3-hour mode for tapes recorded in EP. Not only is the quality preserved, but it make it convenient for fitting the content...2 hours of VHS SP mode on one disc, or 6 hours of VHS EP content on 2 discs.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page