Magnavox MDR533H audio settings problem. Please help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I needed to replace a dying universal remote today and somehow in the process screwed up my 533's audio settings.

Please keep in mind that my system was working fine before the remote swap so this is not a hardware problem.

Somehow while pressing buttons on the remotes to program the new one (learning method) I accidentally changed some settings on my 533 so now it won't record or output any sound.

The weird thing is that if I play an old recording off the hdd the audio is fine. Same for the dvd player. It's only new recordings that won't record audio. I finalized a dvd and played it on my computer as a test and still no sound.

It's not just recordings though, there's no audio even watching tv through the 533.

I tried swapping the inputs of my cable box and 533 on the tv and the problem was still present with the 533 confirming it's the recorder that got screwed up.

Can someone please steer me in the right direction as to what settings might have gotten messed up?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142

To prevent severe brain damage trying to think of any and all possibilities here, maybe you can do a SKIP 123 Hard Reset and start with a "clean" machine... reroded titles will not be affected, as described here. Press OK at end of Step 1 noted there. Write down or take a pic of your timer rec programs before starting this procedure

Use only your 533 OEM remote for this and for testing results after.

If all OK after this, then we can probe things the new remote bight have done or is doing since that'll be shown to be the source of the problem?

UberGeorge likes this.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Okay I did the hard reset and the problem persists.

I went through all the audio settings and nothing I try will restore the sound.

Thanks for your help wajo 'cause I'm at a complete loss.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

How is your system connected, like do you record directly off antenna or cable coax, or do you record from a cable or sat box,

To me, it seems the key to solving this seems to be in the fact that old recordings play OK, but new recordings and live TV don't play audio. I'm thinking maybe something on the "delivery" end... from source to Mag... is at fault.

It can't be HDMI Audio off instead of on since old recordings play with audio OK... assuming ALL your playback is done same way with same connections,

P.S. One setting to check is the Channel > TV Audio Select and make sure that's on Stereo and not on SAP. (Stereo is the default so it should be that way after your hard reset, but never hurts to check since that could explain the diff. in your recording/playback experience.)

Also, on any titles that don't play back with audio, check the Display menu icon for Audio and see what it says while playing.

UberGeorge likes this.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I've got the cable box connected via S-Video A/V patch cable, I also tried the cable coax but it made no difference.

HDMI Audio is On.

Channel > TV Audio Select is on Stereo.

The display menu icon for Audio says on both the titles that play audio and the ones that don't.

Dolby digital 2ch ----
Audio Info: PCM

I'm going to try hooking it up to an antenna and see what happens.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

You need to connect from cable box to Mag with composite YWR RCA, and make sure you change the Video > Video Input menu for L1 (if you connect in back) to "Video In."

You didn't say whether you had HDMI connected from cable box to TV, but if you do, record anything from box to Mag WITH HDMI CONNECTED and again with HDMI DISCONNECTED between box and TV... disconnect HDMI end that's in the cable box. This will prove whether your new box outputs both video and audio via analog outputs (composite or S-Vid) when the box also has HDMI is connected to the TV. Som boxes, esp. new ones, will not allow an analog output (both video and audio) when it senses an HDMI connection.

UberGeorge likes this.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

The antenna input worked. My mag outputs and records audio with the antenna input.

I think I've got some composite cables tucked away somewhere. I'll give that a try and get back to you.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

You can do the test with S-Vid, just make sure the Mag Video Input option is correct.

You're really testing to see if your new box will output analog via S-Vid (or composite) while it senses an HDMI connection... some new boxes don't allow simultaneous analog output of both video and audio.

UberGeorge likes this.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I disconnected the HDMI form the cable box so the signal now goes to my TV through the Mag's HDMI output and still no audio.

Hooking the Mag up to the TV through composite cables also doesn't deliver audio so what's left?
Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

AFAIK, only thing left is to check your new box's manual and menus and see if it requires you to select a setting/option to "output to VCR" or some such. It might have to be specifically set to connect to and output video/audio to an external device, and you still might have to keep the HDMI DISconnected.

You'll have to play with all that... outputting to an external device (VCR?) should be in the manual somewhere, unless they're trying to hide such an ability from the user... which would be true to their "control-the-user" genes, i.e., don't you dare do anything but WATCH!

UberGeorge likes this.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

No, you misunderstood, The Mag and TV and Cable boxes aren't new, only my universal remote is.

Because my Mag stopped outputting audio right after I setup the new remote I assumed I screwed up some setting but I'm starting to suspect it was just a coincidence and either my cable box or Mag has suffered a breakdown.

I'm going to try one last thing and pull my old Toshiba DVD recorder out of the closet and hook it up in place of the Mag. If it records and plays audio then it's definitely the Mag that's failed.

Luckily the Mag's still under warranty.

Thanks for your help Wajo. It was a lot less stressful not dealing with this alone smile.gif
Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

It turned out it was my cable box all along.

After trying everything else I decided to try swapping my bedroom cable box with this one and the problem went away!

Apparently the RCA audio outputs on the box stopped working but I can't find any settings in the menu that controls them.

The box is a Cisco Explorer 4640HDC.

Would you be familiar with that box?
Old 08-17-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

No, I'm not familiar with that box but I'm wondering, first, if it might be so simple as you accidentally turned Mute on in the box?

If no joy with that, I found a Reset procedure online for a 4642 STB which you *may* want to try if all else fails... I have no idea if there are any pitfalls in this procedure, but resets *usually* just reset devices to their factory defaults... don't know what happens to any titles on an attached/integral DVR (if there is one):

Hold down the right & left volume buttons at the same time holding the info button (all on the box itself) for about 10 seconds, until the diagnostic screen pops up and then scroll down (using up/down channel buttons on box) to the reboot STB option and select it. After a minute or so of it saying what it`s doing it will finally reboot

Old 08-17-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

I found the factory reset thing myself last night. It made no difference.

I think the audio ports have just failed.

I'm reading through the manual right now but haven't found anything which I haven't already tried.

I'm just going to take the box back to Time Warner's service center and get a new one.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Is there a Mute button on the remote?

Old 08-17-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, there is a mute button on the remote but it's academic now.

I went to the service center and got a new box. I should have just done that in the first place but I thought I would have to defend my conclusion that the box had failed.

Turned out I didn't. I just said "I need a new box, the audio ports have failed" and the guy said sure thing.

I was in and out in 5 minutes.

Thanks again for all your effort Wajo.