Dubbing problem on MDR537 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello
I'm trying to do some dubbing from the HDD of my unit to a DVD for a friend. How can I get the DVD to hold 6 hours worth of shows? I'm only able to get 1.5 hours on a DVD at this point. I don't see anything in the dubbing instructions of my MDR537H on different speeds. I received the new Verbatim DVD's today to fix the bad DVD's which I had, but now this problem developed. Any help would be appreciated!! Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131

Lots of info in this help file.

packcardman likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-25-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by packcardman View Post

Hello
How can I get the DVD to hold 6 hours worth of shows?
Just so you know, 6hr on a DVD will look like crap -- much worse than 6 hr on a VCR tape and the bigger the TV screen the worse it will look. Anything past 2hr and the resolution gets cut way down.
packcardman likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 8 Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Wajo, I'll see what I can find there to solve my problem.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Just so you know, 6hr on a DVD will look like crap -- much worse than 6 hr on a VCR tape and the bigger the TV screen the worse it will look. Anything past 2hr and the resolution gets cut way down.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep that in mind. I still can't burn more than 1.5 hours from the HDD to the DVD even tho I hit the Rec Mode button at the bottom of my remote and adjusted it to the SLP (6Hr). Sometimes I think I need to go back and stick with the old VHS tapes to make things for friends. lol
post #6 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by packcardman

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep that in mind. I still can't burn more than 1.5 hours from the HDD to the DVD even tho I hit the Rec Mode button at the bottom of my remote and adjusted it to the SLP (6Hr). Sometimes I think I need to go back and stick with the old VHS tapes to make things for friends. lol

The rec mode has to be set for the original recording. It has no effect in dubbing since dubbing rec modes are determined by the dubbing menu. HIGH gets a DVD with the same rec mode as the original and the other rec modes in the dubbing menu are for when you want to CONVERT the original rec mode to some other rec mode, like SP to SLP. For a 6-hour SLP DVD, the original recording(s) all have to be in SLP rec mode, and the only way to get 6 hours of SLP on a DVD is by RTD or RTR... not HIGH (HSD). Max. SLP time on a DVD using HIGH (HSD) is 5:41:00, as shown in the chart in that help file.

SLP quality is not as good as SP, but many people still have no complaints and do much of their recording in that mode. In fact, Depends on your "sensitivity" and importance of the material/subject to YOU. For testing purposes, I've used SLP many times in recording my nightly talk show... pretty static action, with noticeable but slight difference between SLP and SP. The encoder in the Mags is very good.

Digital channels are best for using SLP, even including stuff like movie dramas. In my experience, analog channels are only OK for SLP with the mostly static content I mentioned. Sports, esp. fast-action sports on large fields like football, are never good at SLP.

Basically, with SLP, YMMV, and it really depends on whether YOU are offended or not! smile.gif

packcardman likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks Wajo!! I guess you can teach a old dog new tricks! Now I understand. The shows I'm trying to burn are for two guys who enjoy grilling. I thought it would be a nice way of thanking them for their efforts over a hot grill this summer. The one from this past weekend has never seen the show. The other one i'll get to meet him next weekend. I hope he hasn't seen the shows either. If you or anyone else would like to watch them, they're on your local PBS stations. They're called Barbeque University and Primal Grill. Thanks again!!
post #8 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks Wajo!! I guess you can teach a old dog new tricks! Now I understand. The shows I'm trying to burn are for two guys who enjoy grilling. I thought it would be a nice way of thanking them for their efforts over a hot grill this summer. The one from this past weekend has never seen the show. The other one i'll get to meet him next weekend. I hope he hasn't seen the shows either. If you or anyone else would like to watch them, they're on your local PBS stations. They're called Barbeque University and Primal Grill. Thanks again!!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page