Magnavox 533 QAM Tuner problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-04-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my 533 for awhile now and like it a lot. But it recently started doing something strange. I have it connected directly to Comcast's cable. Several sub-channels that it used to be able to tune in easily suddenly disappeared from its presets. I've tried several auto channel scans and it just can't pick them up anymore. I know the channels are still there because I have 2 other flat panel tv's whose tuners can find these channels with no problem. Now, these channels are mirrored on other channel numbers that the 533 can see, so I still have access to their content. But, is there something different about the 533 that it can't see these sub-channels when my tv's can ? Is this something I should be concerned about ? Thanks for any response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-04-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131

As long as the 533 can still tune the same content except on diff. ch. #s, you should be OK.

The Mags have a diff. kind of tuner than typical HDTVs. It's a "hybrid" (switched) analog/digital tuner compared to the HDTV's integrated tuner (all channels in numeric sequence with no switch between analog and digital).

Comcast apparently changed the channel data (PSIP) that tells HDTVs how to tune each channel, and the Mag is interpreting that differently. Many people on cable have the same question and apprehension.

Just be thankful that Comcast hasn't gone all-digital in your area and scrambled all your channels, or they did go all-digital and decided to leave certain channels "in-the-clear"?

More info in this help file.

post #3 of 3 Old 09-13-2013, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Losing a group of channels, like all the 25.x subchannels is often an indication of a weak connection or interference. Tighten down your cable connections and check the routing of the cables. Things that used to cause a little snow in the old days now cause the complete loss of channels in the digital age. Running a cable too close to a source of interference can also cause you to lose a group of subchannels.

Another major pain with this Magnavox's weird tuner is that when the cable company changes the raw am numbers you need to hunt through them all. My cable company shifts the subchannels all the time' at least 2x a year. I often find that my recordings have picked up the wrong channel or nothing because my channel is now on a different sub channel. My TV's seem to figure this out on their own, but on the Magnavox that burden falls on me. I update my list translation list of raw qam channels.

I was hoping that they would have updated this odd tuning so that it would use the numbers like my TVs do because if they did I'd buy a new one today. I'm the only one who will use this box because nobody else will bother translating the channels even though they have printed lists and a link on their cellphone.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page