Got burned on an Ebay DMR-EZ48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-08-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't posted here for a while. I'm a happy DMR-EZ48 fan. We have two of them. We run the heck out of them, and they are serving us well.

So I got this idea I'd like to pick up a 3'rd one. Went looking on Ebay (yeah I know, that was my first mistake). I found one that was listed as non-working, with a DVD problem. Well hey, we know how to fix that right? It was starting at $30, but it went up over $100, and I let it go.

Then I found another one, listed as working, starting bid $50 (that should have been my first clue). But it was supposedly in working condition, so I rode the bid on up to $184 and won it.

So the unit arrives, good packaging, and I set it up. First thing it does on boot up is make a "honk-honk" sound from the DVD drive, and then the display says "NO READ". This was with no disk even in it. Put in a disk, same thing.

Well, shout out to Diga-Do here, from him we know what to do. I popped it open and performed the spindle cleaning procedure. But, no change, still the same problem. Hmm...

So I took the lid off the DVD drive again and watched it during boot up. The "honk-honk" sound was from the head motion during it's homing, as it thumped up against the spindle. So the head motor seems to be working. I also saw a little red flash from the laser lens, so I can figure that's working too. But what wasn't happening is the disk wasn't spinning.

I lifted the DVD unit from the chassis and inspected the cables, no apparent problems seen. I'm guessing the spindle motor is inop, and this little detail must have just slipped the mind of the nice Ebay lady 707Cybermerchant.

So now I'm trying to figure my options here. I haven't yet contacted Sheila Betita (Cybermerchant) about this problem -- I figure she'd just say 'Well it was fine when it left here... '. I'd really kinda like to get this unit operational rather than hassle with complaints and returns, etc.

Is there some area of the DVD drive in particular I could look at for the inop spindle motor? Worst case, is there a source for the DVD drive?

Thanks all,
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello member you can send me a PM for more info.

MickinCT
post #3 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGarfield View Post

Then I found another one, listed as working, starting bid $50 (that should have been my first clue). But it was supposedly in working condition, so I rode the bid on up to $184 and won it.
Did you ever consider that you could have bought a new Magnavox with hard disk for $240 -- with warranty and 90 day no-hassle return period?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 50
This happens over and over in this dvd recorder forum, and I'm at a loss to understand why when there is enough warning information available to prevent such mistakes.

Once again, a member who has been with AVS for a few years and presumably has seen the many threads covering certain recorder models being way WAY more likely to have design flaws that make them a very bad bet second hand, insists on buying one on eBay anyway, overpaying as well.

I think its the element of "Well, I bought two previously and they never gave ME a problem, so the 9000 people posting here to complain about these particular units must be morons and wrong, so I'm just gonna head on over to eBay and buy a third one, used, for about the same money I paid for my brand new ones. I'm sure that will work out in my favor (because I'm lucky with this model)..."

Yet it worked out the way it almost always does: oops. You now have two choices, JamesGarfield:

1. If you're hellbent that you MUST have only EZ48v recorders, send this dead horse you bought to AVS member mickinct above. He can fix it for you, but it will cost a significant amount of $ to ship back and forth + parts/repair fee. (Panasonic service centers won't touch it for less than $300, if at all.)

2. Pack it up and return it to the seller immediately. eBay is now a buyers paradise and a sellers nightmare: no matter what the seller return policy reads in the listing, it is over-ridden by eBay general policy which now essentially forces sellers to take returns and give refunds for any reason whatsoever. A recorder sold as working that arrives defective is a slam-dunk for a refund. Make a polite return request to the seller, and if they refuse go to eBays dispute center and file for a refund. You'll get back every penny including shipping both ways.

Personally, I'd return it for refund: you're already in the hole for $184 and having mckinct repair it will likely run another $75-150 between shipping, parts cost and repair fee. The EZ48v is and always was one of Panasonic's worst-designed models: the consensus of owners here and elsewhere is that it isn't worth repairing (the excellent EH series is a different story). For the $250 you'd blow on this used EZ48v, you could buy a brand new Magnavox MDR533 as Kelson suggested.

The Magnavox has its own issues, as all recorders do, but its hard drive recording feature trumps the EZ48v by miles. Having unlimited recording capacity without reliance on RW discs for everything makes a huge difference in convenient timeshift watch-once-then-erase use. And the Magnavox disc burner is as close to bulletproof as we'll ever see in a DVD recorder (the Magnavox could catch fire and explode, but its burner would still work).

Messing around with repairs for our beloved favorite models of DVD recorder is no longer viable. Spare parts are gone or priced in the stratosphere, and mfr's service has evaporated. Unless you're the very rare exception with a stockpile of spare parts and great skill in DIY electronics repair- give it up. DVD recorders tanked in North America. You can count the number of current, new models on one hand and have three fingers left to hoist a beer with. For better and worse, today its the Magnavox MDR533 or forget it.

eBay is a good source for older recorders IF you are well versed in how to repair them, can get the parts cheap, and you don't get caught up in auction fever and overpay. Otherwise stick to local Craigs List where you can at least try before you buy, and don't pay more than $75. Better yet, go for the Magnavox. Or a TiVO. Or a PC-based PVR.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

This happens over and over in this dvd recorder forum, and I'm at a loss to understand why when there is enough warning information available to prevent such mistakes...

Personally, I'd return it for refund: you're already in the hole for $184 and having mckinct repair it will likely run another $75-150 between shipping, parts cost and repair fee. The EZ48v is and always was one of Panasonic's worst-designed models: the consensus of owners here and elsewhere is that it isn't worth repairing (the excellent EH series is a different story). For the $250 you'd blow on this used EZ48v, you could buy a brand new Magnavox MDR533 as Kelson suggested.

The Magnavox has its own issues, as all recorders do, but its hard drive recording feature trumps the EZ48v by miles. Having unlimited recording capacity without reliance on RW discs for everything makes a huge difference in convenient timeshift watch-once-then-erase use. And the Magnavox disc burner is as close to bulletproof as we'll ever see in a DVD recorder (the Magnavox could catch fire and explode, but its burner would still work).

Messing around with repairs for our beloved favorite models of DVD recorder is no longer viable. Spare parts are gone or priced in the stratosphere, and mfr's service has evaporated. Unless you're the very rare exception with a stockpile of spare parts and great skill in DIY electronics repair- give it up. DVD recorders tanked in North America. You can count the number of current, new models on one hand and have three fingers left to hoist a beer with. For better and worse, today its the Magnavox MDR533 or forget it.

eBay is a good source for older recorders IF you are well versed in how to repair them, can get the parts cheap, and you don't get caught up in auction fever and overpay. Otherwise stick to local Craigs List where you can at least try before you buy, and don't pay more than $75. Better yet, go for the Magnavox. Or a TiVO. Or a PC-based PVR.

Here's a thread with advice when looking at used Panasonic or Funai manufactured recorders on Craig's List:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1281815/panasonic-recorders-on-craig-s-list-some-advice/0_60

Since those posts were current I've purchased another half dozen or so used Panasonic recorders through our local Craig's List. With Craig's List one may determine for oneself the condition of a product.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6 of 6 Old 09-10-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGarfield View Post

Then I found another one, listed as working ...

I love how eBay sellers say its working, when all they did was put in a music CD and had it play. Of course, they didn't think of trying a DVD instead.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Panasonic Dmr Ez48vp K 1080p Upconverting Vhs Dvd Recorder With Built In Tuner
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page