The best combo for VHS to DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the best unit for transferring VHS to DVD? I have a Philips that will do that but it records DVD's in a useless format for uploading to places like Facebook and Youtube. These are still obtainable on Ebay but I need to know the opinion as to the best unit I should get. Having to convert a DVD to some other format for uploading is ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozey45 View Post

What is the best unit for transferring VHS to DVD? I have a Philips that will do that but it records DVD's in a useless format for uploading to places like Facebook and Youtube. These are still obtainable on Ebay but I need to know the opinion as to the best unit I should get. Having to convert a DVD to some other format for uploading is ridiculous.

During a ten month period in 2007 I transferred 5,200 home-recorded VHS titles to DVDs using up to seven 2005/2006 model year Panasonic DVD VHS/DVD Recorders supplemented by two circa 1996 Toshiba VCRs, some of which were running up to eighteen hours per day, six days a week.

If I were to take on such a large project today I would use Panasonic EH series or Magnavox 2xxx or 5xx series HDD/DVD Recorders. I would transfer the VHS material in "real-time" to these recorder internal hard drives, edit/divide the material and then high-speed dub the material to DVDs.

I don't find the standard DVD format to be "useless." My home-recorded DVD archive currently has more than 13,000 DVDs.

Facebook and YouTube do not use the standard DVD format.

There are a number of computer software programs that will convert DVD video into other formats. I use Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 (a version from 2006) to convert standard DVD video into other formats. I have limited experience converting video for uploading to Facebook (two videos) and YouTube (one video).

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great info; thanks. I was already contacted about an EH series Panasonic for $425.00. Will check the others out also you mentioned; thanks again.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Great info; thanks. I was already contacted about an EH series Panasonic for $425.00. Will check the others out also you mentioned; thanks again.

$425!?! You can do A LOT better then that!

B&H has an open-box EH69 (the bigger one) for $320, and new EH59s for $325. If you have a lot of patience, they will occasionally have an EH59 open box for around $260 or so. THAT is a great deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=dmr+eh&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Note:

Oops. I realized that the recorders in my link are for the EH59/69 machines, which are NOT Combo recorders. The only Panasonic combo machine I am aware of is the EH75, which I now realize is what you meant. The EH75 is a different animal from the EH59/69. My apologies. See below.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I have four EH series Panasonic HDD/DVD recorders, two DMR-EH50 models from 2005 and two DMR-EH75 models from 2006. Those, and the 2006 DMR-EH55 models, are the best Panasonic North American models. After 2006 Panasonic no longer makes HDD/DVD recorders for the US market. (My most recently purchased like-new DMR-EH75 was purchased locally through Craig's List for $35. It had been used as a DVR for time-shifting sporting events-not for recording DVDs.)

I have more than a dozen Magnavox and Philips HDD/DVD recorders, Magnavox models 2080, 2160, 2160A and 515 models and two Philips models, 3575 and 3576.

The three current model Magnavox 5xx series HDD/DVD recorders may be found at walmart.com all priced under $300:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=magnavox&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

Since Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders are a "niche" product they are not found in Walmart retail stores.

The first post in Wajo's sticky thread is the gateway to a wealth of information on recent and current Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/0_60#post_12244086

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Quote:

$425!?! You can do A LOT better then that!

B&H has an open-box EH69 (the bigger one) for $320, and new EH59s for $325. If you have a lot of patience, they will occasionally have an EH59 open box for around $260 or so. THAT is a great deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=dmr+eh&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

As I said above... Okay, I get it now. Sorry about the confusion. I'm getting old! frown.giffrown.gif This thread title specifically requests info about a combo unit, and I quoted you available International Panasonic models that are NOT combo units. The only Panasonic HD equipped combo unit is the EH75, which I NOW assume is what you meant, not just a DVD recorder. That's a whole different machine, and the market price for these have been from about the $425 that you mention to $1500 and more! I spent about $300 for a broken one from Craig's List, and I had it repaired, and still thought I was getting an okay deal.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page