Clarification on recording while watching - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read so much conflicting information. I want to ask this question specific to my tv and to the Mag 533 DVR sold at walmart for 238.

I have an analog tv.

I want to record a program while also watching a different channel on tv, using the DVR's digital tuner to my analog tv. Is this possible? I do not have cable tv service. I will be using the DVR and an antenna to pick up OTA.

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxel6307 View Post

I've read so much conflicting information. I want to ask this question specific to my tv and to the Mag 533 DVR sold at walmart for 238.

I have an analog tv.

I want to record a program while also watching a different channel on tv, using the DVR's digital tuner to my analog tv. Is this possible? I do not have cable tv service. I will be using the DVR and an antenna to pick up OTA.

Thanks so much.

Yes, connect the antenna coax to the Mag (top coax connector) and coax out to the TV. That will allow your TV to tune any channel you want when you select the ANT input on the TV. Connect any other line connection from Mag to TV to see the Mag's internal stuff like menus, channels, recorded titles, DVDs. Nothing internal from the Mag goes thru the coax, just the raw incoming signal.

So, while the Mag is recording one channel with its tuner, you can watch a diff. channel with the TV's tuner... just select the approp. input on your TV to see either a TV channel or what's happening with the Mag.

post #3 of 15 Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

My TV doesn't have a digital tuner and will need to use the dvr tuner.Will that work while its recording?

I think that's what you meant but wanted to make sure before i purchase this dvr.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-15-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

I want to record a program while also watching a different channel on tv, using the DVR's digital tuner to my analog tv. Is this possible? I do not have cable tv service. I will be using the DVR and an antenna to pick up OTA..
No you can't with an analog TV. The Magnavox has only one tuner so can only tune one channel at a time. You can record that channel, you can watch that channel, you can record and watch that channel but you cannot record and watch two separate channels at the same time -- that would require two tuners and the Magnavox only has one. And, of course, your TV has no digital tuners of its own.

Moreover, your analog TV must have at least a composite input in order to view or play anything from the Magnavox. The Rf output of the Magnavox is just an antenna passthrough, which is useless to you. It only transmits its signal over one of its line outputs, like composite or component. If it's a really old TV with only a coax antenna input, the Magnavox will not work for you and it's time to get a new TV.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 15 Old 09-16-2013, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

The tuner signal cant be split?
post #6 of 15 Old 09-16-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The tuner signal cant be split?
You can split the incoming signal to feed multiple tuners.
You can power-split the outgoing signal from the Magnavox to feed multiple displays.

But in the end, you have just one tuner in the Magnavox. You can tune only one channel at a time. That's it -- one tuner=one channel.

To do what you want to do you have to get a second tuner into the act. You can split the incoming signal and send one side to the Magnavox for recording and the other side to an ATSC converter box (remember those gov't coupon converter boxes (CECB) we all got at the start of the DTV transition). I guess you can do this without a separate splitter since the Magnavox has Rf-out. Send the antenna into the Magnavox and send the Rf out from the Magnavox to a CECB. This still requires that your analog TV to have enough inputs to handle this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 15 Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 45

Read your post last night, and assumed, since you had an analog tv, that you must also have had a digital converter box. Are there still tv stations broadcasting an analog transmission in your area? I wouldn't have thought so. Without a converter box for your analog tv, you won't be able to watch one channel on the tv, while the Mag is recording another using it's digital tuner.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #8 of 15 Old 09-16-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You can split the incoming signal to feed multiple tuners.
You can power-split the outgoing signal from the Magnavox to feed multiple displays.

But in the end, you have just one tuner in the Magnavox. You can tune only one channel at a time. That's it -- one tuner=one channel.

To do what you want to do you have to get a second tuner into the act. You can split the incoming signal and send one side to the Magnavox for recording and the other side to an ATSC converter box (remember those gov't coupon converter boxes (CECB) we all got at the start of the DTV transition). I guess you can do this without a separate splitter since the Magnavox has Rf-out. Send the antenna into the Magnavox and send the Rf out from the Magnavox to a CECB. This still requires that your analog TV to have enough inputs to handle this.

Have any suggestions for a dual tuner dvr, and what price range to expect?
post #9 of 15 Old 09-16-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-in-the-us/0_100+
Personally, I use a TiVo.

- kelson h

post #10 of 15 Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Agree the TiVo es best option. Don't forget that you will also need to connect it to your internet lan setup.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-17-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks. Looked at that list and looks like all are or most are unavailable except the tivo. I don't want tivo.

Do they not make dual tuner dvrs anymore?
post #12 of 15 Old 09-17-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Looked at that list and looks like all are or most are unavailable except the tivo. I don't want tivo.

Do they not make dual tuner dvrs anymore?
People are waiting for the "new" Channel Master K77 HD-DVR to come out. No word on when that will happen but I would not bet on seeing it before the end of the year. Based on their past models it will have dual-tuners (at least) and cost somewhere around $400. For less than that you could pick up a pre-owned TiVo Premier with lifetime service on Ebay for $300-350.

But seriously, if all you are using is an old analog CRT, don't bother looking at DVR's since they are all HD and expensive and what's the point of buying one of those for an old TV. Go buy a Magnavox recorder and a CECB ATSC tuner -- see this link for DTV converter box choices. If your TV only has a single composite input you can buy an A/B switch or just run the CECB into the Rf of the TV and tune to channel 3 like you would do with an old VCR. Then you can use the Magnavox like a digital VCR -- no tapes -- and the converter box to watch something else while the Magnavox is recording.

- kelson h

post #13 of 15 Old 09-17-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

People are waiting for the "new" Channel Master K77 HD-DVR to come out. No word on when that will happen but I would not bet on seeing it before the end of the year. Based on their past models it will have dual-tuners (at least) and cost somewhere around $400. For less than that you could pick up a pre-owned TiVo Premier with lifetime service on Ebay for $300-350.

But seriously, if all you are using is an old analog CRT, don't bother looking at DVR's since they are all HD and expensive and what's the point of buying one of those for an old TV. Go buy a Magnavox recorder and a CECB ATSC tuner -- see this link for DTV converter box choices. If your TV only has a single composite input you can buy an A/B switch or just run the CECB into the Rf of the TV and tune to channel 3 like you would do with an old VCR. Then you can use the Magnavox like a digital VCR -- no tapes -- and the converter box to watch something else while the Magnavox is recording.

With the tivo premier, what happens when you need to replace your box, if it breaks? You gotta pay another $300-$350? The $300 pays for the box and the service, and there will be no monthly fees?

My tv has plenty of inputs. It's a flat screen 780p tv but just doesn't have the digital tuner. It's over ten years old so I don't expect it to last much longer and my replacement tv would have the tuner built in. Thus, I definitely want the dvr. Tv worked fine until last week time warner in my area finally completely phased out analog signals. I don't pay for cable, but we get free basic tv signal coming thru the coax.

Thanks so much. Going to look into those.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-18-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With the tivo premier, what happens when you need to replace your box, if it breaks? You gotta pay another $300-$350? The $300 pays for the box and the service, and there will be no monthly fees?
That's correct, you buy another TiVo if you can't fix it -- but usually all that goes wrong is the HDD dies which is user replaceable.
Lifetime service is just part of the cost of the DVR, don't consider it a separate cost, it's non-transferable. No monthly fees with lifetime. You pay one price and that's it for the life of the product, just like with any other CE device.

- kelson h

post #15 of 15 Old 09-22-2013, 10:16 PM

You can watch a previously recorded program while you record another. You can watch the program you're recording. To watch a different channel you will need a converter box, an RF modulator/multiplexor and a splitter. Run one antenna feed to the converter box and the other to the DVR. Connect both of those to the TV via the RF modulator. My Philips modulator has pre-set output channel priority. The converter box gets the highest priority, the DVR the next. When the converter box is on, it feeds the TV. When it's off the DVR feeds the signal.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page