Copying protected material from HDD on Pioneer 640/650 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So the next question is... What is the way around it. Ideas? Fixes?

I remember when products were built to last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 09-23-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post

So the next question is... What is the way around it. Ideas? Fixes?

This was covered earlier in the thread, MediaFan63. smile.gif

Upon encountering this protection nonsense, the only practical option is to purchase the best-quality filter one can afford. This guarantees elimination of recording lockouts.

If you're thinking more in terms of tinkering with the decoder boxes, that wouldn't really solve anything long-term. Once the provider starts intentionally or accidentally slipping protection signals into the feed, the decoder box becomes an unstable element. The OP has already noted that other people in the same neighborhood with different boxes are having the same issue.
post #33 of 35 Old 09-23-2013, 02:18 PM

Liked: 18
Thanks CitiBear, I'm new here so I'm going to have a lot of questions to get up to speed with you guys. I pretty much thought it was video filter, just wondered if anything else worked. Thanks again.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #34 of 35 Old 09-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Liked: 10
I recently began having the same problem with Time Warner. I live in Saratoga, NY

I have a Pioneer-510h that I use with a Cisco Explorer 4642HDC cable box. My problem started around the time when Time Warner had its dispute with CBS and I lost Showtime. They gave me Starz instead which I could not copy the way I could Showtime. I thought it was just a Starz issue & thought nothing of it. But I also now had problems copying shows from regular networks like USA or AMC. It seemed to matter if it was on demand or scheduled programs whether or not it would burn to a disc, and later it didn't matter, I could no longer burn shows from USA or AMC at all.

Now I have Showtime back, and still can copy it's shows, still have Starz and can't, and can no longer copy the USA shows regardless if I copy them from on-demand or not.

I also have a TiVo with a Time Warner Cable Card and Time Warner tuning adapter. (Which I prefer to the time warner cable equipment.) I hooked up a Toshiba DVR to the TiVo and was able to copy the shows that way.

My parents live near Oneonta, NY and as of yet they do not have these issues but they have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HDC box they use with their Pioneer DVR-531h-s. They don't really use them much as now that they have a TiVo in their main room.

I just ordered the logic design video-filter in the hope that that solves the issue. If it does, I will probably order a second one for when my parents start to have the same problem, as I expect them to have, sooner or later. I will post how it works for me.

Incidentally, does anyone who has a Pioneer have any luck with re-writeable DVD's? If so, what works for you? A lot of these shows I record and send to my nephew in college, they are not anything that I am trying to preserve. Thanks for your help
post #35 of 35 Old 09-25-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm302 View Post

Incidentally, does anyone who has a Pioneer have any luck with re-writeable DVD's? If so, what works for you? A lot of these shows I record and send to my nephew in college, they are not anything that I am trying to preserve.

The Pioneer DVR-510 dates from 2003, which in recorder lifespan terms means its already been dead and buried for two years. Basically, its a ghost that still functions. But it doesn't really like most newer blank DVDs: it works best with the JVC-TY 8x DVD-Rs, and thats about it. Anything else you've been trying will have a variable success rate. For rewritable, I stick to Verbatim -RW on my 510, but even that is unpredictable. The 510 is simply past its prime: when these recorders were designed, the idea that blank media would be adulterated every six months to meet ever lower price points and faster burn speeds hadn't yet occurred to anyone in Japan.

If you'd prefer the freedom to use whatever random blank DVDs are on sale each week, pick up a Magnavox MDR533 DVD/HDD recorder from WalMart for $229. This is essentially similar to your 510, but with a 320GB hard drive, a modern DTV tuner, and a much newer and more rugged burner that can withstand the junk blanks being sold in chain stores today. Unlike the Pio 510, it can accept +R and +RW blanks as well as -R and -RW, doubling your media choices.

Otherwise, just buy TY-JVC 8x Premium DVD-R blanks in bulk from Supermediastore.com when they go on sale periodically for $28/100 incl. shipping. These have a 95% successful burn rate in the aging Pioneer 510. Twenty-eight cents per disc, and you won't have to worry about your nephew returning them to you to recycle. He can just pass them on to his friends.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page