Can't auto-preset channels on my new MAGNAVOX MDR533H - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-20-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't auto-preset channels on my new MAGNAVOX MDR533H DVD recorder/ HDD.

I have the coaxial cable out from my cable box plugged "in" to the antenna input on the back of the unit, but after running the auto-preset sequence for my channels, nothing comes up.

Anyone know what I can do to rectify this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-20-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

With coax from a cable box as the Mag's coax input, your Mag is a "slave" to the box... the box has to tune channels for the Mag, and the Mag has to be set on ch. 3 or 4, whichever your box's manual says to use. With this setup, the Mag can't scan and tune any channels except the one the box is set to.

IF ALL your channels are scrambled, then this is the way you'll have to connect since the Mag won't be able to tune any channels by itself. If you KNOW that ALL you channels are scrambled, keep the setup you have now, where you'll only be able to record the channel you set the box to, or the one you can "auto-set" the box to with a REC (record) from the Guide or some other auto-tune feature of your box.

IF you DON'T know if you have any unscrambled channels, connect the incoming cable coax to the Mag 1st, then coax out to the box. Then a "line connection" from the Mag to your TV (HDMI, Component RGB, S-Video or Composite YWR RCA), which will send internal Mag stuff to the TV (menus, channels, recorded HDD titles, DVDs). Nothing internal goes thru the Mag's coax circuit. It's only a signal passthrough for downstream components like your box and/or TV.

After connecting the Mag 1st on the coax, do an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital) and see how many channels the Mag tunes. If you do get some channels in the Mag, you'll be able to record them directly with the Mag. If NO unscrambled channels, go back to the way you were originall set up.

If needed, see this help file for a Connection sketch and detailed instructions.

If you can keep the Mag 1st on the coax and record some channels that way, you'll need a line connections from the box back to the Mag for recording scrambled channels the Mag can't tune, as shown in that Connections help file. For recording those scrambled channels, go to the help file on Recording for info on how to record from the cable box (STB).

Hopefully, this will get you started?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 13 Old 09-22-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I have a splitter for the incoming cable connection -- therefore, one coax cable goes out to the cable box and the other goes out to the magnavox DVDR. This set up worked on my previous magnavox DVD recorder, so I'm stumped as to why the DVDr tuner is not picking up channels this time out.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-22-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

That's a change from what you said originally:  "I have the coaxial cable out from my cable box plugged "in" to the antenna input on the back of the unit" which would explain why the Mag can't pick up any channels.

Not sure now why you're not getting any channels.

|
|
|
post #5 of 13 Old 09-22-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the misstatement about my set up. WAJO, I do appreciate your help and input with this matter. I wonder if anyone else here can puzzle out this dilemma. The new shows start this week and I would like to be able to record them.

If anyone else can help, please do.

And Wajo, if you have any brainstorms, please post them here!

Thanks everyone,
Chris
post #6 of 13 Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I posted on Comcast's forum (that's my cable provider) about this, and someone there replied it may be that they're blocking the channels from going to the DVD recorder. He apparently had his channels tuned and suddenly, they were showing up as "encrypted."

Hmmmmm....!
post #7 of 13 Old 09-25-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.

HELLLLLPPP!
post #8 of 13 Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Does your HDTV have a digital tuner? If it does, directly connect the cable from the wall to the RF input on the TV and do a channel scan on your TV. Then go through the channels. If a channel is scrambled, you will see that. If the channel is clear QAM you will see that also. Make note of your clear QAM channels.

Then reconnect the cable to the magnavox and do a fresh digital channel scan. The magnavox should pick up all the channels that your HDTV just did and the same ones will be encrypted and clear. If you do the channel scan -- and assuming you did it properly -- and you get no channels scanned in at all, put the magnavox in its box and return if for an exchange.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 13 Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBK9001 View Post

I posted on Comcast's forum (that's my cable provider) about this, and someone there replied it may be that they're blocking the channels from going to the DVD recorder. He apparently had his channels tuned and suddenly, they were showing up as "encrypted."

Hmmmmm....!

That has been the philosophy of Crapcast since late 2012... and the bad news are that the FCC was agree with that. So no more Clear QAM tuners on the market.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-05-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Is there anyway around Crapcast? Some way to hack the unit or cable box so the channels can come through?
post #11 of 13 Old 10-05-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 63

^^ Nope. They're forcing boxes on us and there's nothing we can do. Rental fees=mo money for them.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #12 of 13 Old 10-05-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBK9001 View Post

I have a splitter for the incoming cable connection -- therefore, one coax cable goes out to the cable box and the other goes out to the magnavox DVDR. This set up worked on my previous magnavox DVD recorder, so I'm stumped as to why the DVDr tuner is not picking up channels this time out.

You might get more useful suggestions if you can provide a little more info about your situation, otherwise we're just guessing and wasting your time. Its true the new Magnavox recorders with digital QAM tuners do run into more than their fair share of cable tuning problems, esp with ComCast. It is also true that more and more cable systems are messing with basic channels so they can't be tuned by DVD recorders at all. But without more info from you, for all we know none of that applies in your case. So here's what you need to clarify:

Has ComCast changed any equipment in your home recently? Did you never have a decoder box, then suddenly were sent a small one with instructions that it is now required to tune channels? If yes, that could be part of the problem. If no, we can look at other angles.

You say you didn't have this problem with your previous Magnavox recorder: what model Magnavox? Did it have a digital ATSC/QAM tuner, or was it an older analog model? The old analog models have been somewhat less problematic in recent years, because they completely ignore the digital hackery cable companies have been pulling with their QAM channels. Newer recorders with digital/analog tuners tend to get stymied by this digital thuggery.

What is the time frame between when you stopped using your old Magnavox and started using the new MDR533? If it was zero, and you just swapped the old for the new within the same week, then wajo and others here can help you troubleshoot to see if you have a defective unit, or otherwise find a way to tune at least a few channels. But if its been awhile (say several months) since you last used the old recorder, it may simply be that ComCast has totally wrecked their "boxless" channels in your neighborhood since you last tried to record them (which brings us back to my first question).
post #13 of 13 Old 10-06-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

I've had the same box for four years now from Comcast.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page