AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DVD Recorders (Standard Def) (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dvd-recorders-standard-def/)
-   -   Old EH-75 to new TV (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dvd-recorders-standard-def/1491760-old-eh-75-new-tv.html)

FLSTFI 09-22-2013 02:14 PM

Finally got a new HD TV and HD DTV.
Been a long time since I looked at the back of the recorder and it looks
like I am stuck with composite to the recorder from STB.
But I see the recorder has HDMI and component video outputs.
I needed to finish watching last seasons SOA so I connected the Recorder to the TV
with composite because that is all I had handy.
The picture was not as good as it was with the recorder feeding my old 35" CRT
with S Video.
Will I see an improvement in picture from the DVR using the HDMI or Component
out to the TV even though the DVR is Composite in ?
And which one to use ?
Thanks

olyteddy 09-22-2013 02:22 PM

Try them and see? My Magnavox looked better using component.

jjeff 09-22-2013 05:32 PM

Yes use either HDMI or component from the EH-75v to your TV. Even though you only have composite from your STB you should still get a better picture using a better connection from the EH-75v, for sure if playing a commercial DVD on the EH-75v. Too bad your STB doesn't have S-video but S-video is a dead format and won't be found on anything recent frown.gif

Church AV Guy 09-22-2013 11:02 PM

I agree, use HDMI as a first choice, when component as a second choice. S-Video and composite are third and fourth, but there is a BIG gap between second and third options. biggrin.gif Remember that your new HDTV will show SD video with all the flaws perfectly displayed in a way that your old SD set just could not.

FLSTFI 09-25-2013 12:07 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Is there any way to connect this so that I can record to the EH-75 and at the same time watch another
show thru the Genie ? (Like you can recording to the Genie.)

Thanks Again

jjeff 09-25-2013 01:24 PM

I'm not familiar with the Genie but if it's like my Tivo HD when offloading to my DVDR I cannot be watching something different off the Tivo, all the Tivos outputs display the same thing.
With my Tivo like your Genie I can be recording 2 separate events and watching a different recorded event again it will only play one event at a time.
You could start your DVDR recording(and push PLAY on your Genie) before going to bed and use the OTR option to have it turn off at a later time, if you wanted to edit things out later it would be possible on the EH-75v's HDD, this way you could record one event/night and not tie up playing your Genie when you want to watch something different, thats what I do occasionally with my Tivo, longer events for sure.
I often wish my Tivo had(but it will never) would be the option to play something and have it come out of the SD outputs and at the same time watch something different out of the HD outputs, most people would never use this option so I'm not holding my breath frown.gif

Church AV Guy 09-25-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSTFI View Post

Thanks for the replies.

Is there any way to connect this so that I can record to the EH-75 and at the same time watch another
show thru the Genie ? (Like you can recording to the Genie.)

Thanks Again

I don't have a Genie. My DirecTV DVRs only have a single MPEG decoder chip, so they can only display a single video stream at a time. Dish had a DVR that had dual decoder chips, but I *THINK* it was SD only. I never had one, but my sister did. She had two SD televisions and it worked okay for her. For a grand total of $5 per month on my DirecTV bill, I got a second DVR, so I could be recording something while watching something else. It worked fine for me as a solution. Genie might have multiple decoder chips, I just don't know. I think I read that it has picture in picture, which would require dual chip sets, so maybe it can.