Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got a new HD TV and HD DTV.
Been a long time since I looked at the back of the recorder and it looks
like I am stuck with composite to the recorder from STB.
But I see the recorder has HDMI and component video outputs.
I needed to finish watching last seasons SOA so I connected the Recorder to the TV
with composite because that is all I had handy.
The picture was not as good as it was with the recorder feeding my old 35" CRT
with S Video.
Will I see an improvement in picture from the DVR using the HDMI or Component
out to the TV even though the DVR is Composite in ?
And which one to use ?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-22-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Try them and see? My Magnavox looked better using component.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-22-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yes use either HDMI or component from the EH-75v to your TV. Even though you only have composite from your STB you should still get a better picture using a better connection from the EH-75v, for sure if playing a commercial DVD on the EH-75v. Too bad your STB doesn't have S-video but S-video is a dead format and won't be found on anything recent frown.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I agree, use HDMI as a first choice, when component as a second choice. S-Video and composite are third and fourth, but there is a BIG gap between second and third options. biggrin.gif Remember that your new HDTV will show SD video with all the flaws perfectly displayed in a way that your old SD set just could not.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 7 Old 09-25-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies.

Is there any way to connect this so that I can record to the EH-75 and at the same time watch another
show thru the Genie ? (Like you can recording to the Genie.)

Thanks Again
post #6 of 7 Old 09-25-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I'm not familiar with the Genie but if it's like my Tivo HD when offloading to my DVDR I cannot be watching something different off the Tivo, all the Tivos outputs display the same thing.
With my Tivo like your Genie I can be recording 2 separate events and watching a different recorded event again it will only play one event at a time.
You could start your DVDR recording(and push PLAY on your Genie) before going to bed and use the OTR option to have it turn off at a later time, if you wanted to edit things out later it would be possible on the EH-75v's HDD, this way you could record one event/night and not tie up playing your Genie when you want to watch something different, thats what I do occasionally with my Tivo, longer events for sure.
I often wish my Tivo had(but it will never) would be the option to play something and have it come out of the SD outputs and at the same time watch something different out of the HD outputs, most people would never use this option so I'm not holding my breath frown.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSTFI View Post

Thanks for the replies.

Is there any way to connect this so that I can record to the EH-75 and at the same time watch another
show thru the Genie ? (Like you can recording to the Genie.)

Thanks Again

I don't have a Genie. My DirecTV DVRs only have a single MPEG decoder chip, so they can only display a single video stream at a time. Dish had a DVR that had dual decoder chips, but I *THINK* it was SD only. I never had one, but my sister did. She had two SD televisions and it worked okay for her. For a grand total of $5 per month on my DirecTV bill, I got a second DVR, so I could be recording something while watching something else. It worked fine for me as a solution. Genie might have multiple decoder chips, I just don't know. I think I read that it has picture in picture, which would require dual chip sets, so maybe it can.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page