DVD Recorder Suggestions - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 72 Old 10-18-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Also when recording(at least for the first minute) I always monitor the DVDR(for example from the HDMI output) and only switch to the direct STB to TV connection once I've verified everything is working fine. Watching through the HDMI you'll see exactly what your DVDR is getting and hence will record. As Luke said, make sure you've selected the proper input with the drive select button on the remote and verify your audio and video connection from STB to DVDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ha! I found those inputs, and figured that the setting of one of those inputs was key to being able to record. So I cycled through all of them, test recording on each setting and ending up with gray snow on the screen for each attempted recording. But I only went up to AV3. What must've happened is that after AV3, I probably didn't hit the next button correctly, or not strong enough, and when AV3 didn't go to AV4, I assumed that AV3 was the last setting.

Bur after reading your post, I went back to the DVDR and sure enough, there was an AV4 setting. So I recorded on AV4 ... and it worked. Pictures, sound and everything. This is great.

Thanks a lot.

So I can record now. I can record with the DVDR off as well. And I can also watch TV with the DVDR off.
post #63 of 72 Old 10-18-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Good to hear. smile.gif

And good to know the DVDR passes through a signal when off.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #64 of 72 Old 10-18-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdharp View Post

Ha! I found those inputs, and figured that the setting of one of those inputs was key to being able to record. So I cycled through all of them, test recording on each setting and ending up with gray snow on the screen for each attempted recording. But I only went up to AV3. What must've happened is that after AV3, I probably didn't hit the next button correctly, or not strong enough, and when AV3 didn't go to AV4, I assumed that AV3 was the last setting.

Bur after reading your post, I went back to the DVDR and sure enough, there was an AV4 setting. So I recorded on AV4 ... and it worked. Pictures, sound and everything. This is great.

Thanks a lot.

So I can record now. I can record with the DVDR off as well. And I can also watch TV with the DVDR off.

If you keep pressing the button, it cycles back to the beginning, so there IS no "end" to speak of. There is a lot there, but you'll pick it up soon.

By the way, those audio splitters are readily available from Radio Shack.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #65 of 72 Old 12-29-2013, 09:08 PM

I read these negatives/disadvantages regarding the Panasonic DMR-EH59 in another thread here:

Does not record the imbedded closed captioning information
Black level error
The date/time inofrmation is 24 hour clock only, and the date is european ordered

Do these also refer to the DMR-EH59GA-K? I assume this model number is the same 'overseas' unit???

So the DMR-EH59GA-K also doesn't record closed captioning?

Does anyone know what the black level error refers to? Is the black level too high or too low? I'm familiar with correct black level.

So there's no way to change the clock to 12 hour or the date to US ordered?

BTW, I live in the US. smile.gif

Mike.

P.S. - Is there a way for me to down load the user manual for the DMR-EH59 or DMR-EH59GA-K?
post #66 of 72 Old 12-30-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

There is only one EH-59, some of us just chose to leave off all the extra bits that have to do with color or region, for our purposes they all work the same.

CC, yes I've been told it does not record them but since I don't really use them I haven't even tried(but have no reason to doubt they don't record).

If supplied a N. American black level the EH-59 will record DVDs that are "slightly" light, again not night and day buy +7.5 IRE to be exact. If you happen to have a N. American Panasonic you can see by going into it's setup and changing black level output to LIGHTER(our standard would be DARKER). The key to getting a perfect black level is to supply the EH-59 a 0 IRE(international standard) black level, this can be easily done with a proc amp but note proc amps are generally >$200 and not that easy to find. I use my EH-59s to mainly record from another DVD player and all my players(like most) have a DARKER or international black level which I set mine to, AFAIK DVD players are really the only N. American device to have such a simple setting.

No way to change time format or date order, it's the international standard.

Click my link and under EH-59 you will find a link to the EH-59 manual from Panasonic.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1134909/panasonic-dvd-recorder-us-models-years-produced-and-features

post #67 of 72 Old 01-01-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

There is only one EH-59, some of us just chose to leave off all the extra bits that have to do with color or region, for our purposes they all work the same.
CC, yes I've been told it does not record them but since I don't really use them I haven't even tried(but have no reason to doubt they don't record).
If supplied a N. American black level the EH-59 will record DVDs that are "slightly" light, again not night and day buy +7.5 IRE to be exact. If you happen to have a N. American Panasonic you can see by going into it's setup and changing black level output to LIGHTER(our standard would be DARKER). The key to getting a perfect black level is to supply the EH-59 a 0 IRE(international standard) black level, this can be easily done with a proc amp but note proc amps are generally >$200 and not that easy to find. I use my EH-59s to mainly record from another DVD player and all my players(like most) have a DARKER or international black level which I set mine to, AFAIK DVD players are really the only N. American device to have such a simple setting.
No way to change time format or date order, it's the international standard.
Click my link and under EH-59 you will find a link to the EH-59 manual from Panasonic.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1134909/panasonic-dvd-recorder-us-models-years-produced-and-features

Jeff, That link doesn't work to download the EH-59's manual.

Does anyone here have the PDF of the EH-59 & EH-69 owner's manuals they don't mind sending me? I can send my e-mail address.

Thanks,

Mike.
post #68 of 72 Old 01-01-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #69 of 72 Old 01-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Thanks Mike!
post #70 of 72 Old 01-01-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe-t View Post
Jeff, That link doesn't work to download the EH-59's manual.

Mike.

Oops sorry, they seem to have changed the location of several of the manuals I had linked :( Looks like Mick got you covered.

post #71 of 72 Old 01-01-2014, 01:44 PM

Liked: 14
I never realized 24 hour time was such a big deal fo Americans. I do not like it my self really either but its not a big deal for me either. It's not that hard to follow.
post #72 of 72 Old 01-01-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't really care for it and it takes me several seconds so to convert it but I deal with it. Military time is frequently used with timeclocks at work or of course in the military. Personally I take the military time and subtract 12. That is if I see a time of 22:00 I subtract 12 and end up with 10:00(PM), 17:00 subtract 12=5:00(PM), 13:00-12=1(PM).

Now the metric system :confused: thats a different story, don't even think of asking me how much something like 25KGs is or what a speed of 50KMH is or a temperature of 25C.....us Americans(Canadians are different and use military and metric system all the time) are firmly entrenched in our current systems and I doubt(in my lifetime anyway) we'll ever change :o Carter tried it in the late 70s and 80s but those dual speed signs disappeared a long time ago, now it's strictly MPH!

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page