DVD Recorder Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 72 Old 10-02-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a new DVD recorder. My Panasonic DMR-EZ48V is about dead. I'm in the USA. My setup isn't fancy. Just a cable box. The threads are daunting here: all I can find are threads complaining about each particular product. Any suggestions? Also, is it possible to watch one cable channel while recording another? I could never do it on my Panasonic. The TV had to be set to the channel I wanted to record.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 10-02-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

"16. Save Enough $$$ on Discs to Pay for This DVDR.
Many people in this forum with single-disc recorders claim to have used thousands of discs in the past 2-4 years. Say you had a single-disc recorder and used 2,000 discs over those years at $0.34 each (plus a few more-expensive -RAM discs), it'd cost you ~$700 just for blank discs. But if you had this HDD-DVDR, and timeshifted only, you wouldn't need ANY discs, so you could pay for this DVDR and STILL have ~$400 left for almost 1,200 discs... or food, mortgage, bail, ...!?

Go back to List ...... Go to main list of help files."

I saw this quote (above) in a massive thread at the top of the forum. First of all, what DVD recorder is being referred to? And second, how do you save $$ on blank discs? How else would one record a show without the blank disc? Obviously, I'm not getting something. I'm starting to feel like a dinosaur the more I read here.
post #3 of 72 Old 10-02-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
You can pretty much skip over 99.9% of the complaints on these threads since you are already using a cable decoder box. All of the complaints come from those who refuse to accept the reality that "boxless" cable service has been going buh-bye for the past few years, and what little is left has been evolving to spite and confuse any recorder you try to attach directly to the cable (bypassing the box).

Recording one channel while watching another is tricky if you are dependent on cable service. If you want total flexibility to choose every channel, you'd need to sign up for a second decoder box (connecting one to your TV and the other to your DVD recorder). If you'd be willing to compromise, and can settle for viewing just the local (normally off-air) channels while recording any cable channel, you can do some wiring tricks. While recorders tend to get confused tuning cable directly off the wire, most modern TVs can do it reasonably well. You can split the incoming cable wire into two, one going directly to the TV antenna input and one going to the cable box. The box connects to the dvd recorder via line out, and the TV via HDMI.

With this hookup, the cable companies (for the moment) usually still allow the TV to grab ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW and PBS without the decoder box. You can watch any of those channels by switching the TV to its antenna/cable input, while the DVD recorder will record whatever channel you select on the decoder box.

As for new recorders, there's no choice anymore: the product is dead at retail. The last ones still currently sold new in USA are the Magnavox MDR533, 535 and 537 DVD/HDD recorders. These do not have VHS, so you will need to keep your EZ48v to play tapes (or buy any decent used VCR from Craig's List for $15). The Magnavox units do have the HDD feature, which makes watch-and-erase recording (timeshifting) much easier- they record everything internally, you never burn a DVD until you want to keep something permanently. These machines start at $229 on the WalMart website, and are the ones you noted above as "not needing DVDs."

These Magnavox models come with a built-in hard drive, like your computer, which can hold at least 100 hours of recordings in the excellent-quality SP speed. After you view a recording, if you don't want to keep it you just press the delete button. If you do want to keep it, the machine will copy to a DVD for you. So you never need to fuss with erasable RW or RAM discs again: just keep some regular DVD-Rs around for when you want to dub something for your library.

Here and there, you can still sometimes find leftover Magnavox or Toshiba DVD/VHS combo decks similar to your EZ48v. Unless you get a fantastic closeout deal well under $150, these are a bad value. The VCR section is mediocre, most versions don't include a tuner, and the dubbing options are pitiful. You're much better off with a new Magnavox MDR533 + a separate VCR (which you can connect if you want to make DVDs from VHS).
post #4 of 72 Old 10-02-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I did some web surfing and just now learned that the reason for the diminishing DVD recorder market in the USA is because many of the networks are implementing, or already have implemented, copy protection methods to prevent a consumer from recording onto a DVD. I've never encountered this problem with my Panasonic. While that recorder had its own issues, it was never blocked from recording a TV show on the basis of copyrights. Will I encounter these problems with a new Magnavox?

Thanks again.
post #5 of 72 Old 10-02-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Also, do the Magnavoxes record on dual layer DVD's?
post #6 of 72 Old 10-02-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdharp View Post

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I did some web surfing and just now learned that the reason for the diminishing DVD recorder market in the USA is because many of the networks are implementing, or already have implemented, copy protection methods to prevent a consumer from recording onto a DVD. I've never encountered this problem with my Panasonic.

With good reason. That's not why the DVD recorder market went south. It went south because cable DVRs took over, serving the majority who only wanted to record a show and had no interest in making DVDs.

About the only thing that may have legit copy protection are PPV stuff or the premium channels (and even then, it depends.) Plus, you can defeat most protection with the right video filters. I don't know who stated the copy protection as the reason, but they clearly weren't paying attention (or were trying to ignore the real reason in favor of blaming a tangible entity.)

There were some recorders (like Sony) that would freak out over false copy flags, or stuff that would be imbedded in copyrighted songs and such. Most other makes didn't have that.
Quote:
While that recorder had its own issues, it was never blocked from recording a TV show on the basis of copyrights. Will I encounter these problems with a new Magnavox?

Most likely not. Neither Panasonic nor the Magnavox in question were particularly sensitive to false copy protection. They will balk if they encounter a legit flag, but since you have never found one yet, unless your viewing habits have changed (like subscribing to HBO or something), you likely won't have an issue. And if you do, there are always workarounds.
Quote:

Also, do the Magnavoxes record on dual layer DVD's?

Unfortunately, no. Although personally, for recording to disc I always stick to single layer.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #7 of 72 Old 10-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I did some web surfing and just now learned that the reason for the diminishing DVD recorder market in the USA is because many of the networks are implementing, or already have implemented, copy protection methods to prevent a consumer from recording onto a DVD. I've never encountered this problem with my Panasonic. While that recorder had its own issues, it was never blocked from recording a TV show on the basis of copyrights. Will I encounter these problems with a new Magnavox?

Thanks again.

That isn't a recorder problem, but a cable co one. If your Pana could record the cable signal, the Maggy sure will do.
post #8 of 72 Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

The "anti-record" signals being embedded in cable service are not applied consistently, even within the same neighborhoods in the same towns. There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to why some households get it and others don't. If its never been an issue with your Panasonic, you probably won't encounter it with the Magnavox- at least not right away. Just be aware that this anti-record flag can appear in your cable feed at any future date: reports of this are on the rise. If it ever happens, the workaround is to buy a filter box or TBC to connect between the cable box and your DVD recorder. No big deal, but they cost between $89-$229, which can blindside you if you aren't prepared. With any luck, you won't have to deal with it for a long time yet.

The Magnavox does not burn dual-layer dvds, but this isn't as big a drawback as it first appears, because the Magnavox hard drive offers unlimited recording capacity and allows various editing tricks to fit longer videos onto single-layer dvds. Models like your Panasonic, that do not have hard drives, are limited in recording time to the blank dvd you load in them, so dual-layer discs are more valuable in those recorders.

With the Magnavox, if you need to record a 6 hour sports event or a TV series marathon, you just set the timer for 6 hours and let it run. It will record the 6 hours to its hard drive, in the standard quality SP speed, and when its finished you can split the six hours into 2-hour chunks that will fit on 3 standard dvds. If you don't mind a reduction in picture quality, you could choose to record in one of the "slower" speeds that will fit all six hours on a single disc, but it won't look so great.

Another really nifty trick you can do with the hard drive is cut the commercials out of TV shows before burning the DVD for your collection, which allows you to squeeze more episodes onto a DVD in good quality. Using your Panasonic, recording directly onto a DVD, you get stuck with the commercials, so you can only fit 4 sitcoms or 2 hour-long dramas per single-layer SP-speed dvd. With the Magnavox, you can let the episodes accumulate on its hard drive, and cut the commercials out of each one. With the ads removed, you can fit 6 half-hour episodes or 3 hour-long episodes on a single-layer SP-mode dvd.
post #9 of 72 Old 10-02-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again. I don't like to record at a quality lower than SP (2 hrs. on a single layer disc). I guess then, that with the Magnavoxes, there's no workaround on recording movies that are longer than two hours, without sacrificing SP mode quality. That's what I used the dual layer discs for.
post #10 of 72 Old 10-03-2013, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The Magnavox has a very efficient encoder that typically fits close to 128 mins of SP recording on a single-layer dvd. Few non-epic movies run longer than 128 mins, so this usually covers you, but of course without DL capability if you want to archive Gone With The Wind or Avatar you would need to split the movie across two SL discs in SP mode. It is easy to choose the spot where you want the long movie to split when you copy it from the hard drive.

There should be workarounds for this using your PC that would let you rip the two SL dvds and combine them into one DL disc: I don't know the specifics offhand because I don't trust the longevity of DL discs and never use them myself.

Magnavox recorders are optimized for the one hour and two hours per disc recording speeds. where they acquit themselves admirably. The slower speeds are the subject of ongoing debate among users, because they trade off perceived sharpness for more accurate motion capture. Depending on your visual taste, you may or may not prefer this over the Panasonic slow speeds, which trade off in the opposite direction (motion accuracy sacrificed for increased apparent sharpness). At the HQ (1 hr) and SP (2 hr) speeds, Panasonic and Magnavox have comparable recording quality.

If you can afford a slightly more expensive recorder, and dual layer is something you use quite a lot, you might want to consider the import model Panasonic EH59 instead of the Magnavox. It has the same convenient DVD with hard drive design, but includes dual layer and DVD-RAM compatibility and several nice convenience features. This model is popular with AVS members who want to replace their old worn out Panasonic. The only disadvantage is that it isn't officially a USA/Canada model, so there is no mfr warranty support and its tuner does not work here. The more reputable dealers who import it offer their own warranties, and the tuner isn't needed since you'd plug it into your cable box anyway.
post #11 of 72 Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

If you can afford a slightly more expensive recorder, and dual layer is something you use quite a lot, you might want to consider the import model Panasonic EH59 instead of the Magnavox. It has the same convenient DVD with hard drive design, but includes dual layer and DVD-RAM compatibility and several nice convenience features. This model is popular with AVS members who want to replace their old worn out Panasonic.

Your posts are extremely informative and helpful. Thanks again. Thanks to everyone here. This is a great forum. Another question -- this one's about the new Panasonic you mention in your post -- would I be able to finalize DVD's on that new Panasonic that were recorded on my old Panasonic? My gut sez no.
post #12 of 72 Old 10-03-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad you're finding this forum helpful, dvdharp! smile.gif

My understanding is that the Panasonic import model EH59 can finalize DVDs you started on your EH47v. Posts on these threads from Panasonic owners indicate all Panasonic models dating back to at least 2006 can finalize each other's dvds. The only area of slight incompatibility is with a particular function of DVD-RAM discs: RAM discs burned in a Panasonic model that doesn't have a hard drive will not allow their contents to be high speed copied when loaded in a HDD-equipped model. Aside from that, I believe all the models are cross-compatible.
post #13 of 72 Old 10-03-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Correct Citibear and actually AFAIK all Panasonics since the beginning( in 00) will are cross compatible for finalizing discs. Note Panasonics prior to '04 won't produce thumbnails, they only have a list display.
post #14 of 72 Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

If you can afford a slightly more expensive recorder, and dual layer is something you use quite a lot, you might want to consider the import model Panasonic EH59 instead of the Magnavox. It has the same convenient DVD with hard drive design, but includes dual layer and DVD-RAM compatibility and several nice convenience features. This model is popular with AVS members who want to replace their old worn out Panasonic.

Your posts are extremely informative and helpful. Thanks again. Thanks to everyone here. This is a great forum. Another question -- this one's about the new Panasonic you mention in your post -- would I be able to finalize DVD's on that new Panasonic that were recorded on my old Panasonic? My gut sez no.

Just so you know, there are actually two Panasonic Import models. The EH59 and the EH69. There are only two differences between the two, the HDD size is 250GB vs. 320GB, and an SD/SDHC Card Slot. The URL for the EH59 is in CitiBear's post above, the EH69's URL is here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/659768-REG/Panasonic_DMR_EH69GA_K_DMR_EH69GA_K_Multi_Zone_320GB_HDD_DVD.html

You can also find these units at places like World-Import, and others, as well as Amazon. I have personally purchased one of the these units from W-I and from B&H. Both have done well my me. Despite what they may say, they are "native" PAL machines, but there is a setup option to select NTSC, and from then on it is fine (except that the tuner won't work in North America, like was also said above). I use my DirecTV DVR and plug the S-Video/audio into the A/V inputs and it works perfectly. The back of the unit does not say it will work with 120V 60H power, but all of my machines came with really cheap (like $1.00) adapters that convert from the two round pins to the blades used here in the US, and there hasn't been a problem.

B&H has the EH59 as $325, and the EH69 as $400, BUT there currently is an open-box EH69 for $289, which would be a really good deal, in my opinion. No, I don't work for them, just passing along possibly useful information.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #15 of 72 Old 10-04-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

From the B&H page on the Panasonic DMR-EH59GA-K Multi-Zone 250GB HDD/DVD Recorder:

"The multi-system device includes a 250GB hard disk drive, a DVD recorder that works with single- or dual-layer discs, and a USB port."

&

DVD Recording
You also have the ability to record on DVD discs at several quality settings. Recording time using 4.7GB single-sided discs ranges from 1 hour in XP Mode to 8 hours in EP Mode. For 8.5GB dual-layer discs, recording time ranges from 1 hour 45 minutes in XP Mode to 14 hours 20 minutes in EP Mode. (Recording to dual layer discs is only available from the hard drive).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/659769-REG/Panasonic_DMR_EH59GA_K_DMR_EH59GA_K_Multi_Zone_250GB_HDD_DVD.html
post #16 of 72 Old 10-04-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

dvdharp, it isn't clear if your last post was a question? It *seems* as if you're asking for clarification on how DL discs work in the Panasonic import models like EH59. From the description you pulled from B&H, it sounds like they only burn DL from recordings on the hard drive, not directly ("live") onto a DL disc. jjeff or ChurchAVGuy will need to confirm this, but if true, that is a good thing: it helps ensure the best possible DL burn. The likelihood of you needing to record directly onto a DL disc in real time is zilch: very few people here who own DVD recorders with HDD do this, as it defeats the whole point of having the HDD. Normally you would make all recordings to the hard drive first, where it is easy to edit the video, add a title name and thumbnail before burning the disc. Burning video files at high speed from the HDD is what most blank media is optimized for. It takes only 15 mins to burn a dvd from hard drive contents in the EH59.

Recording directly onto a DVD in real time is only an advantage in a few very specific circumstances, and even then is subjective. jjeff, for example, prefers not to get slowed down or interrupted by the 15 mins of the hdd-to-dvd copying process when he wants to dub a lot of VHS tapes to dvd in one day. While I have the reverse attitude: I just want to slam as many tapes as possible to the HDD in one shot, then be free to deal with the titling, edits and thumbnails later at my leisure. You have this choice with single-layer media, but may not with dual layer in these two recorders.
post #17 of 72 Old 10-04-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to know if the suggested DVD recorders work at all with dual-layer discs. That they can record to a dual layer disc from the hard drive is more than enough for me. This is a terrific revelation. I was led to believe that the new recorders wouldn't work at all with dual layered discs.
post #18 of 72 Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

According to the instruction manual, which you can download from Panasonic website here, the B&H description is accurate: the EH59 and EH69 can burn DL discs, but only from videos you previously recorded on the HDD.

I seem to remember a couple of other slight quirks in the way all Panasonic recorders handle DL discs, but you probably already know about those from using your existing Panasonic.
post #19 of 72 Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes I believe with all Panasonic DVDRs with a HDD(that support DL media) you must first record to the HDD and later you can HS copy to the DL media. AFA DL media, personally I only use Verbatim, almost always +R but -R actually has less quirks but are cost prohibitive(several dollars/disc, vs ~$1 for +R). When I say +R DLs are quirky it's more the way they search on players and I believe some devices may not play them, although this is very very rare.

Citibear, luckily I'm done with my 2000+ VHS/Beta to DVD project where I mainly did direct to DVD burning(and I wanted to save the 15 minutes x 2000(500 hrs eek.gif) of HS dubbing from the HDD to a DVD) now the only time I do that is when I want use FR(which is most of the time) and have one very long(2 1/2 hrs +) title totally fill a blank DVD. Unfortunately FR on Panasonics have this little quirk that they only make a title size of ~4000MB which wastes ~400MB of disc space(10%), burning directly to DVD using my trick eliminates that wasted space smile.gif Pioneer users with their MN recording system don't have to jump through this hoop.
post #20 of 72 Old 10-04-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wanted to know if the suggested DVD recorders work at all with dual-layer discs. That they can record to a dual layer disc from the hard drive is more than enough for me. This is a terrific revelation. I was led to believe that the new recorders wouldn't work at all with dual layered discs.

Like jjeff, I can assure you that the EH59/69 recorders record to DL media in a nearly identical manner that the EH55 does. I use the feature regularly . DL disks are not supported for direct to disk recording, so you have to record to the HDD and then to the DL disk, but it isn't as limiting as it sounds. It *IS* time consuming. You can even change the recording quality if you want. When this is selected, the machine creates a whole new copy of the title onto the HDD, then dubs THAT copy to the DL disk, then deletes the temporary copy.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #21 of 72 Old 10-04-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As a followup, I checked, and the -R DL disks that I have can't be copied "directly" just like the +R DL disks. The only difference I have found is that the machine INSISTS that the +R disks be "formatted" prior to use. I don't really know what this formatting is, but it's just a step you have to go though, and then the disks work fine. The DL support is a little spotty as the flexible record function isn't geared for DL disks at all, and it requires a fair bit of finesse to get it to work right, but the machines DO record to the disks.

Luke

post #22 of 72 Old 10-05-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
People get upset every time I bring this up. But I feel compelled to whenever someone mentions needing to overcome a limitation of DVD recorders (no multi-tuner, etc.). First let me preface by saying I used DVD recorders for a very long time and made thousands of recordings. They were essentially my DVR for years. I know what they can and can't do. And I don't fault anyone for continuing to use them. But.... have you considered using a computer instead, possibly even the very one you're reading this forum on? It would solve all your issues, vastly improve recording quality, save you a lot of money and make life much easier.

With a computer, you no longer need any cable boxes, DVDs, DVD recorders, timers, IR blasters, or a web of cables behind your TV. You are no longer limited to one recording/viewing at a time. You can easily do 4 simultaneous HD recordings while watching a 5th. You can do up to 32 if your budget allows. You get a full guide and full function DVR in every room, all without any cable company equipment fees. You get unlimited recording space. To record, just press one button when you see the title in the guide. Or set up smart searches to record anything automatically by keyword.

Some panic when a computer is mentioned, but honestly setting this up is only a little more complicated than installing a printer or a router. Just follow the prompt on the installation software.

I used DVD recorders for many years, then cable and satellite DVRs, and now a PC, which is by far the best DVR I've ever used in terms of functionality and affordability. To the end user, it works just like a Tivo. It's connected to your TV one way or another and works with a remote just like all your other devices. So if you're willing to consider an alternative, please give it some thought.
post #23 of 72 Old 10-06-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
I agree with mdavej.

Thought I'd drop in on this sub-forum which I have not visited for quite some time. Not to be a traitor or anything, but I have not used my Panny DVDR to record programs ever since I put together a basic HTPC. Four OTA HD tuners and a 1.5TB HDD. It records everything the Panny did but does so in HD and 5.1DD audio.

If you want to burn DVDs for everything you record then an HTPC could slow you down. Windows Media Center will do it but it does take some time. OTOH why not just keep everything on a HDD? The price of HDDs has come down so they should not cost much more than a stack of DVD-R discs. Plus a HDD takes up less space than a spool or album of discs,

Neither format supposedly lasts forever. I've read that some people re-burn their DVD-R discs every 5 years or so. If you have hundreds of discs that could be quite time consuming. I think copying to another HDD every so often would be faster & more convenient.

You don't need any fancy software to build or buy a PC to use as a DVR. Media Center comes with Windows 7 & can be added to Win 8 Pro. The HTPC sub-forum can seem overwhelming because a lot of people build a HTPC to do multiple things. But if you just want a DVD recorder all you need is a cheap Win 7 PC and add a tuner or two.
post #24 of 72 Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

So I finally purchased the Panasonic DMR -EH59 --- and I can't even hook it up. My old hook-up used co-axils. But the RF IN and RF OUT on the new Panasonic don't accomodate co-axils. I went to Radio Shack, and even took my new DVD recorder to show them, and they were stumped. Any help?

Thanks

post #25 of 72 Old 10-13-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

So I finally purchased the Panasonic DMR -EH59 --- and I can't even hook it up. My old hook-up used co-axils. But the RF IN and RF OUT on the new Panasonic don't accomodate co-axils. I went to Radio Shack, and even took my new DVD recorder to show them, and they were stumped. Any help?

Thanks

Yes. Stay away from RadioShack...tongue.gif http://www.amazon.com/Coaxial-Adapter-Connector-DVB-T-female/dp/B00C8S5ENA/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1381721407&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=PAL+to+f+connector+adapter
post #26 of 72 Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

The EH-59 is not a US unit. It does not have a US compatible tuner so the Rf connections are useless to you. You must connect this recorder to your cable box using the R/L audio and either composite video or S-Video inputs of the EH-59. You will only be able to record the channel that is tuned on your cable box.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #27 of 72 Old 10-14-2013, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Kelson is correct. The tuner in the EH59 cannot receive ANY signals broadcast in the US. I don't know where you got your EH59, but the B&H Photo Video site has the following in the product description:
Quote:
The DMR-EH59GA-K has a PAL tuner, and can also record SECAM programming. This model also plays NTSC region 1 (USA) discs via HDMI or A/V inputs but cannot receive over-the-air US TV signals.

World-Import has this as a bullet point in the product description:
Quote:
Does not have TV tuner for USA.

I'm sure other sites have the same information. Let me add emphasis, The DMR-EH59GA-K... cannot receive over-the-air US TV signals. You must use some kind of STB and feed the recorder from that using the Video or S-Video cable, and R/L audio cables. The RF Coaxial Adapters that olyteddy linked to will allow you to plug in a coaxial cable, but it won't help you at all tune in any stations, unless you have access to PAL transmissions.

Sorry.

If you need to use the tuner, then you should return the unit, because it will not do what you require. If you can get by with using the STB and the video connections, then you are good to go.

Luke

post #28 of 72 Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
@dvdharp
I'm wondering how you had your EZ48 hooked into your system. Did you have the Rf out from your cable box going into the Rf in of your EZ48 and the EZ48 tuned to channel 3 or 4?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #29 of 72 Old 10-14-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

To add to what the others said, also the EH-59(like basically all DVDRs international or not) will NOT output channel 3 or 4 to your TV, only line outputs. Combos like your EH-48v were quite rare in that they had modulated RF output(channel 3 or 4). If your TV only has a RF input(no line inputs) you'd need a RF modulator to convert line outputs to RF. Even recorders like the Magnavoxes w/HDD don't output channel 3 or 4, that feature was really only found in a few combos like your EZ-48v.
post #30 of 72 Old 10-14-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

TV rear panel

Old Panasaonic DVDR rear panel

Here's my current setup with the old Panasonic DMR - EZ48V

1 -Cable coming out of the wall into cable box (cable in - coaxil)

2 - cable out on cable box to a/b switch (this a/b switch was hooked up so long ago, I now wonder what the a/b switch is for and if it's superfluous -- because I was able to record only what was on the tv with the EZ48V)

3 -- a/b switch to RF IN on old DVDR (Coaxils) (see #2 on DVDR rear panel diagram)

4 - RF OUT from old DVDR to ANT 1 on TV (see handwritten arrow marked #1 on diagram of rear tv panel)

5 - TV (red/yellow/white cables IN) see handwritten arrow marked #2 on diagram of rear tv panel

to old DVDR red/yellow/white cables OUT - #6 on dvdr rear panel diagram
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page