Magnavox and Phillips Remote Controls - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 10-14-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, I'm new to the forum and wanted to know what was the deal with Magnavox HDD DVR remote controls.

I own a Magnavox H2080MW8 and after about a year and a half or perhaps two years, my remote control started to go out. Therefore, I had to purchase another Magnavox remote control, but I had read somewhere at this forum that it was recommended to get a remote from a later model, which I did. But anyway, about a year and a half or perhaps two years later, the new remote that I had purchased started to go bad. Also, I had started to come to this forum and look up the information about the remote that I had purchased so that I could purchase a new one, however, since I had kept the original remote from the H2080MW8, I had gotten the bright idea that maybe some of the buttons that still worked on the first remote, didn't work on the second remote, and vice versa. And that perhaps if I used both remotes, I could delay having to purchase a third remote.

Well, my little idea worked, but it was kind of a hassle having to use one remote for this, and then having to put that one down and pick up the other one to use it for something else. :( However, that only lasted for about two weeks or so, and now both remotes' essential "Enter" buttons are not working.(Sigh!) But I had started to come to this forum and start a thread complaining about Magnavox HDD DVR remote controls, which I am kind of doing right now, but I had read somewhere in the forum where a Phillips Universal Remote was an alternative option. :) But let me continue with what I was saying about the Magnavox remotes.

Therefore, what in the world is going on with Magnavox HDD DVR remote controls!? Are they kind of running a racket(for lack of a better word) where they are deliberately constructing remote controls that are very flimsy so that they will stop working after awhile so that consumers will continually have to purchase replacement remotes every year and a half to every two years? Because in all of the days of my life, I have never owned a TV or a VCR where the remote control went out me. Never! And this is the first time that I have ever owned an electronic device where the remote control went out on me.(And relatively soon after purchasing it.) Therefore, what exactly is the deal with Magnavox HDD remote controls?

But getting back to the Phillips Universal Remote, after reading the information at this forum about that item, I purchased a SRP5107 from Walmart over the weekend. Now I haven't opened it yet, however, since Magnavox makes Phillips(or is it the other way around), I would like to know how reliable these PURCs are. Are they long lasting or do they go out on you after a year and half? :( 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-14-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I wonder if it has anything to do with how hard one pushes on the buttons?? I agree it seems like more than a few people have reported premature failure with the Magnavox remotes but then you can have power users like my father who's still on his original remote and uses the snot out of his.
Have you tried taking apart the remote and cleaning it? If I can get it apart I've had very good luck just cleaning the buttons(with iso alcohol or freon) and putting it back together. Of course I've never taken a Magnavox remote apart and it's possible the contacts could be worn or something else wrong.
I really doubt it's anything Magnavox(Funai) is purposely doing to the remotes to make them break after a period of time, if anything it's probably just that things are made to the cheapest possible design to cut costs, probably nothing sinister about it smile.gif
post #3 of 26 Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 PM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 146

I "used the snot" out of my main 3575 remote for over 6 years so far, and my Philips SRP 5107 Universal for 17 months now... all going strong and appearing to be indestructible.

I believe the 2080 remote was the cheapest and cheesiest of them all, but that was a 2007 model and first gen Mag, so any still working have probably given reasonable service for a "cheapy"?

I can't say how long the Philips SRP will last but it seems pretty well built... it gets LOTS of use in our home!

I'm sure a "heavy-hitter" might be able to make a remote fail sooner than my experience would predict.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #4 of 26 Old 10-14-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I wonder if it has anything to do with how hard one pushes on the buttons?? I agree it seems like more than a few people have reported premature failure with the Magnavox remotes but then you can have power users like my father who's still on his original remote and uses the snot out of his.
Have you tried taking apart the remote and cleaning it? If I can get it apart I've had very good luck just cleaning the buttons(with iso alcohol or freon) and putting it back together. Of course I've never taken a Magnavox remote apart and it's possible the contacts could be worn or something else wrong.
I really doubt it's anything Magnavox(Funai) is purposely doing to the remotes to make them break after a period of time, if anything it's probably just that things are made to the cheapest possible design to cut costs, probably nothing sinister about it smile.gif

Opening and cleaning one of my Magnavox remotes didn't correct the problem.  See these posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/24060_60#post_23552044

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474227/remote-control-question/0_60#post_23355244

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 26 Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Yes, and it was a big waste of time. :)
Originally Posted by jjeff View PostI really doubt it's anything Magnavox(Funai) is purposely doing to the remotes to make them break after a period of time, if anything it's probably just that things are made to the cheapest possible design to cut costs, probably nothing sinister about it smile.gif
Yeah, but that's kind of sinister. ;)
post #6 of 26 Old 10-14-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I believe the 2080 remote was the cheapest and cheesiest of them all, but that was a 2007 model and first gen Mag, so any still working have probably given reasonable service for a "cheapy"?

Gee, thanks for letting me know that. :(;)

I can't say how long the Philips SRP will last but it seems pretty well built... it gets LOTS of use in our home!

Well, let me keep my fingers crossed. :)

post #7 of 26 Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 601
As I've posted many times before, you can't beat a JP1 remote. Costs $3 on ebay, does every function of every device imaginable (no learning required) and lasts forever, well, 10 years at least. Oh, and if you have cable TV, you probably already have one and don't even know it.
post #8 of 26 Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

...you can't beat a JP1 remote. Costs $3 on ebay, does every function of every device imaginable (no learning required) and lasts forever...
The term "JP1 Remote" might confuse some - more specifically, you can't beat a JP1-PROGRAMMABLE remote. wink.gif

CLICK on mdavej's first LINK in his SIG for a list. Read his Wiki for details...

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #9 of 26 Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the clarification. JP1 "capable" is probably even better. Since there are at least 100 different models, it's hard to be more specific until someone asks for details for their specific application. You don't really even need to utilize the JP1 capabilities to control most devices. As I said, most people probably already have a JP1 remote and don't know it.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Uh-oh. I'm just now getting around to reading the User Manual for the PURC, and on page 14 on Step No. 5, it says:

Quote:
"Press and hold the button that you wish to learn on the original remote control until the red Setup light blinks twice and then goes out to confirm that learning was successful."

But there's just one problem. As I had mentioned before, both my original Magnavox remote control and my second replacement Magnavox remote control have buttons that don't work. Therefore, wouldn't that mean that my PURC can't learn from those buttons?

post #11 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Also, where is the link/what is the model number for the newer Mag remote control that this forum recommends for my 2080 model?

I have a feeling that I'm going to end up having to buy another one of those. :(

post #12 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Links to the current Mag remote (NC003UD) are in Section 11 of the help file list here.

However, I just noticed that Amazon is out of stock right now (and prob. won't get any more), so you'll prob. have to search other sites for that model #?

Edit: I replaced Amazon with Ebay ($25) on that page.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #13 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Links to the current Mag remote (NC003UD) are in Section 11 of the help file list here.

However, I just noticed that Amazon is out of stock right now (and prob. won't get any more), so you'll prob. have to search other sites for that model #?

But I got my last one directly from Magnavox. Don't they sell them anymore?

Also, because you didn't comment on my other post, does that mean that I am correct about the PURC not being able to learn from non-working buttons?

post #14 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 06:05 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudeoandVidio View Post

Quote:

But I got my last one directly from Magnavox. Don't they sell them anymore?

Also, because you didn't comment on my other post, does that mean that I am correct about the PURC not being able to learn from non-working buttons?

You can try Funai (also listed in that link I gave) but my experience with them is that they usually run out of stuff pretty early in the mfg cycle... worth a try tho.

I did comment on your post but deleted it when I realized you were talking about a remote I know nothing about. However, *generally* speaking, like in the case of the Philips SRP remote I linked to earlier, the device CODE sets more than 90% of a unit's functions, which should include the most highly used, and therefore most likely to fail, functions, so you'll *usually* need to teach only some of the less-used functions... in the case of the Philips SRP, those include TV functions like Input for specific attached devices, like your DVDR.

post #15 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can try Funai (also listed in that link I gave) but my experience with them is that they usually run out of stuff pretty early in the mdg cycle... worth a try tho.

What is a mdg cycle?

I did comment on your post but deleted it when I realized you were talking about a remote I know nothing about. However, *generally* speaking, like in the case of the Philips SRP remote I linked to earlier, the device CODE sets more than 90% of a unit's functions, which should include the most highly used, and therefore most likely to fail, functions, so you'll *usually* need to teach only some of the less-used functions... in the case of the Philips SRP, those include TV functions like Input for specific attached devices, like your DVDR.

I'm sorry, but a PURC is my acronym for Phillips Universal Remote Control. lol :D I thought that I had explained that in one of my posts. lol :D

However, if the PURC already has 90% of Magnavox remote control functions, then I might be alright with it. Besides, it's better than having to pay $25 to $35 for a the Magnavox NC003UD. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Also, is the Funai NB820UD remote the same as the one that originally came with the 2080 model?

post #16 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Also, do you know if the NB884UD remote will work with the 2080 unit?

post #17 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 06:29 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

"mdg" should have been "mfg"

The NB820UD remote was the OEM model for 2160, 2160A and 513. The NC003UD is the OEM remote for the 515, 533, 535, 537.

The 2080 remote is NB504UD.

post #18 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The NB820UD remote was the OEM model for 2160, 2160A and 513. The NC003UD is the OEM remote for the 515, 533, 535, 537.

Well, do you know if the NB820UD and the NC003UD will work with the 2080 unit?

The reason why I ask is because both remotes along with the NB504UD are only $17.99 at amazon right now. And I might get one of those and keep the PURC in case the two Mag remotes that I have don't have working buttons that I want the PURC to learn.

post #19 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudeoandVidio View Post

Quote:

Well, do you know if the NB820UD and the NC003UD will work with the 2080 unit?

The reason why I ask is because both remotes along with the NB504UD are only $17.99 at amazon right now. And I might get one of those and keep the PURC in case the two Mag remotes that I have don't have working buttons that I want the PURC to learn.

Yes, the NB820UD and NC003UD both work for any Mag HDD model.

I'm surprised you found the NC003UD at Amazon. I checked my help-file link to Amazon for the NC003UD and it says out of stock and don't know if or when they'll get anymore, so I switched that link to Ebay, which has ~15 units now. Can you provide the Amazon link you used?

post #20 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, the NB820UD and NC003UD both work for any Mag HDD model.

I'm surprised you found the NC003UD at Amazon. I checked my help-file link to Amazon for the NC003UD and it says out of stock and don't know if or when they'll get anymore, so I switched that link to Ebay, which has ~15 units now. Can you provide the Amazon link you used?

No, you're right. The NC003UD is not available at Amazon. But what I meant was the NB820UD(which is actually $19.99) and the NB884UD(which is $17.99). However, the NB884UD is a remote for a Mag DVD/VCR combo. :rolleyes:

P.S. Also, I think that I'm going through so many model numbers that my head is starting to spin. :eek:

post #21 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Still no interest in the $3.98 option? http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMCAST-CABLE-BOX-UNIVERSAL-REMOTE-CONTROL-SILVER-/261307303118?pt=US_Remote_Controls&hash=item3cd72104ce

Just use setup code 20675 and the codes below if any functions are missing:

Even if you hate the remote, just use it to teach your Philips then throw it away if you want.
Code:
0  00038
1  00168
2  00166
3  00170
4  00037
5  00041
6  00039
7  00043
8  00036
9  00040
channel up  00148
channel down  00152
power [standby on]  00169
dtv/tv  00064
up arrow  00138
down arrow  00005
left arrow  00136
right arrow  00134
select [ok]  00135
display  00104
play  00230
pause  00235
rew  00103
fwd  00107
stop  00197
record  00026
Audio  00011
Back [Return]  00139
Clear  00229
Confirm (Decimal)  00062
DVD  00125
Disc Menu  00137
Dubbing (Direct)  00023
Eject  00164
HDD  00129
HDMI  00105
Next Track  00234
Prev Track  00232
Rapid Play  00021
Repeat  00101
Replay  00255
SP/EP [Rec Mode]  00025
Setup  00132
Skip  00  003
Source  00150
Timer  00151
post #22 of 26 Old 10-29-2014, 03:27 PM

I need a more current link for a JP1 remote, but the 2010 vintage Philips Universal Learning remote SRP5107/27 is being clearanced at Walmart.comfor $7, and you can pick it up in the store.

It's $18 in the store.

I got one last night and am already using it.
post #23 of 26 Old 10-30-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm probably not going to update that link every time an eBay auction ends. But my wiki link lists at least 100 JP1 remote models, some of which are still $3 on eBay, do every possible function without learning, thus don't require a working remote to begin with. It's still the best option for a cheap replacement of any remote.
post #24 of 26 Old 12-12-2014, 06:23 PM

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if I purchase a cheap used Comcast remote, do I need a JP1 cable and computer to program it? Or do you do it just by pressing buttons on the remote?

I have the same issue. Button doesn't work on DVR remote, so my learning universal remote isn't helpful.
post #25 of 26 Old 12-12-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No cable or learning required, only button presses.
post #26 of 26 Old 12-22-2014, 12:31 PM

Thank you mdavej for your assistance! After dealing with it for about 6 months, I finally have my replay button back on a remote for my DVR. Now I can finally consolidate all my remotes except for the DISH UHF remote. Well worth the $12 spent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page