No HDMI input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-26-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Magnavox 515 and have always had my DVD player connected to it using the S connector for video.

I had to replace my DVD player so bought a blue ray in case I ever get any blue ray discs.

My new blue ray player has only HDMI out. Is there such a thing as an adapter for going from HDMI to S video so I can connect it to my 515?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-26-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hdmi%20to%20s-video%20converter&sprefix=hdmi+to+S-video%2Caps%2C164
Note unless you want to spend >$200 don't expect true S-video quality, more like a step down from composite quality.
For copying non CP'd DVDs I'd suggest a older DVD player with true S-video output but a positive of most of these converters is they forget to pass on any CP.....allowing you to backup ANY DVDs smile.gif
I have a Lenkeng made converter I purchase for ~$40 during a great sale.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-26-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I will take this back and get a regular DVD player, even though it probably won't have an S connection..

It's good to know that some of the converters bypass CP.
post #4 of 20 Old 10-26-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

That or a older BD player with composite output smile.gif BD players with S-video were very rare any only on the first BD players.
If you want to stick to new and are OK with just playing DVDs then a new DVD player with composite output should yield better picture quality than using one of the converters I linked.
Check out this link if thinking of getting a new DVD player, doesn't sound so good.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1495360/so-is-this-the-beginning-of-sony-lead-alliance-to-bring-anti-piracy-measures-to-dvd-players-like-cinavia
post #5 of 20 Old 10-27-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

I bought a new Samsung C550 DVD player and you will be interested in knowing that it will not let the 515 record ANYTHING from it. Will check out the Sony that's available.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

Are you copying to the Mag's HDD or a DVD?

Also, is your DVD player or the Mag connected to a TV (or any other device) with HDMI while copying?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #7 of 20 Old 10-27-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

HDD.

I have done it countless times from three different old Toshiba DVD players. But those Toshibas have other problems.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-27-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Any HDMI involved at all... if so, from what to what?

|
|
|
post #9 of 20 Old 10-27-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

No HDMI at all.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-27-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

At least now we've eliminated some possible "simple" answers, but I'm afraid we're down to the more "normal" answer: DVDs are a bitch to copy to a recorder without a "filter" in between!

Many commercial VHS tapes can be copied to HDD w/o a filter, but not comm. DVDs.

|
|
|
post #11 of 20 Old 10-27-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 352
This kind of thing is best left to a computer.

post #12 of 20 Old 10-27-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

I exchanged the new Sanyo for a new Toshiba and so far so good.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-28-2013, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

When you say you could not copy "anything" from the Sanyo did you try DVDs you know didn't have CP, for example home burnt DVDs? Also did you try just copying the splash screen of the DVD player? If both of the above then it sounds like the player is always sending the do not copy bit, which is really bogus.
Kind of a funny thing happens with my Sony DVD players, if I turn it on and copy the splash screen all goes well, if I insert a CP'd DVD my DVDR recording, the funny part is if I stop playing the DVD and just display the splash screen I still get the CP warning and cannot copy it. The only way to clear it is to either power down the player or play another DVD that doesn't contain CP, then I'm able to copy the splash screen again. Not sure how many other players act this way but it had me scratching my head for a while.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrich13 View Post

I exchanged the new Sanyo for a new Toshiba and so far so good.
A new Toshiba BD player has S-video? I haven't seen S-video on a BD player in, well, ... forever. And it has no copy protection? What model?

post #15 of 20 Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

I did not think of trying to record the splash screen on the returned Sanyo.

All the DVDs I record from are not copy protected.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-28-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

A new Toshiba BD player has S-video? I haven't seen S-video on a BD player in, well, ... forever. And it has no copy protection? What model?

No, the new unit has no S-video. Also it is not BD, just DVD.

The model is SD3300
post #17 of 20 Old 10-28-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrich13 View Post

I did not think of trying to record the splash screen on the returned Sanyo.

All the DVDs I record from are not copy protected.
Ya really no reason to, it would have been just one more data point. Since it wouldn't even let you record NCP'd DVDs it was kind of worthless for your use.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-29-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

May I ask why you don't use a computer to copy DVDs? It's much simpler and only takes about 10 minutes rather than 2 hours. Also, the copies are perfect and you get the full 5.1 soundtrack since there is no analog conversion. The software is free and very easy to use.

post #19 of 20 Old 10-29-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:

May I ask why you don't use a computer to copy DVDs? It's much simpler and only takes about 10 minutes rather than 2 hours. Also, the copies are perfect and you get the full 5.1 soundtrack since there is no analog conversion. The software is free and very easy to use.
I would tend to agree. If the disks are not copy-protected to begin with, ImgBurn or DVD Shrink would do the job easily and provide more versatility.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #20 of 20 Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't speak for the OP but in my case I like to use my DVDRs for the few discs I only want to copy part of the original. I know Shrink has the option to shorten(beginning or end) of a DVD but it's not nearly as handy or quick as using a DVDR and the PAUSE button or SHORTEN TITLE where you can remove any number of parts of a original in a very quick time(I guess unless you count the time it takes to realtime copy the DVD in the first place and then HS copy to a blank). Also using the library I also run into a fair amount of DVDs that won't read on my PCs, they fail during the initial discovery option. The same DVDs play 99% of the time on one of my DVD players(Pioneers are the best for playing such "iffy" discs). With Shrink anyway if you can't get through the initial read you can't even start shortening the title to get rid of any parts that may be bad. For the 1% of the discs that don't read through on one of my players probably 3/4 only have one area thats bad, I skip those few seconds on my recorder and I end up with a good disc less a few seconds.
I agree though for the vast majority of things, including things you want to retain the original 5.1 or commentary soundtrack, the computer is THE way to go smile.gif
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page