Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 81 Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Should be no problem with a normally operating unit.

(Just a very few people have had their 53x models... one above your post... not switch channels for 2nd timer, no known cause.)

Recorded just fine....made the channel change as required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a MDR535H that has been working fine until the last 2 days. I set the timer recording and nothing is recording. Tonight I get an error 48 (can't find it in the manual) and at the designated time a message comes on the TV screen UNABLE TO RECORD TO HDD. Manual says unit needs cleaning. I am able to record to a dvd. Is there a way to reset the DVR or does it have to go to the repair shop. I live about 70 miles from the nearest one. Unit is less than 2 years old.
post #33 of 81 Old 03-27-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjr View Post

I have a MDR535H that has been working fine until the last 2 days. I set the timer recording and nothing is recording. Tonight I get an error 48 (can't find it in the manual) and at the designated time a message comes on the TV screen UNABLE TO RECORD TO HDD. Manual says unit needs cleaning. I am able to record to a dvd. Is there a way to reset the DVR or does it have to go to the repair shop. I live about 70 miles from the nearest one. Unit is less than 2 years old.

Error Code E48 means the OS isn't sensing the HDD, possibly due to a loose connection.

First thing to do is a SKIP 079 procedure, Step 1 only, as described here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #34 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 07:22 AM

Did the skip 079 and says HDD not found. What do I do now?
post #35 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Did the skip 079 and says HDD not found. What do I do now?

Now you have to open the case and check the HDD wiring, as described here.

Hopefully, you will find a loose cable. Read and follow all PRECAUTIONS and be careful with any clamshell clamps you find on the ends of ribbon cables, as noted in the instructions.

|
|
|
post #36 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 AM

No loose cables, everything seems to be connected, very clean inside. I don't feel comfortable trying to disconnect or fix anything inside myself, so I will just record to DVD for now. That seems to be working fine. Its a shame I paid so much for this recorder to have it crap out in less than 2 years of use. I have had VCRs that lasted for years. Wish they would come out with one you could use with digital TVs to record.
post #37 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No loose cables, everything seems to be connected, very clean inside. I don't feel comfortable trying to disconnect or fix anything inside myself, so I will just record to DVD for now. That seems to be working fine. Its a shame I paid so much for this recorder to have it crap out in less than 2 years of use. I have had VCRs that lasted for years. Wish they would come out with one you could use with digital TVs to record.

Did you do some light "tugging" on the cables to make sure, or only look at them?

If so, you can still try a Hard Reset, which retains recorded titles, as described here.

Write down or take a pic of your timer rec programs before you start.

|
|
|
post #38 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

MDR533H (Magnavox) my recorder continues to have problems with the Hdd.  Today it only recorded the second timed show.  The first recorded show  displayed E48, the second recorded  show worked fine.  It seems to be intermittent problem as yesterday my two shows recorded fine.  SKIP 079 did not display any problems.  A soft reset allowed the recorded to continue to operate after the red box appeared telling me to shut the recorder off. I notice my previous post the recorder did just the opposite on the time recording with the Hdd.  The recorder did the first recording and skip the second recording.  Today it skipped the first recording and did the second one.  The E48 moved from the last recording to the first recording.  Strange.  The disk recording remain correct and no problem which leads me to thinking that the Hdd is the cause of my problems with timed recordings.  

post #39 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 11:05 AM

Did a little tugging. Put everything back together tried to set timer to record to dvd and at the designated time everything shut off and couldn't get tv to come back on. After fiddling with it for a while it finally came back on and got the message cant record to dvd this time. I am trying hard reset with skip 123 now. It seems to load every time I turn it on
post #40 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 11:37 AM

tobyjr and my problem seem similar.  We both get the E48 but tobyjr skip 079 displays can not find Hdd were mind says ok.  I believe both are pointing to a intermittent or defective Hdd.   Tobjr and my recorder both record on the removable disk with no problem. I believe the next problem is finding and installing a replacement Hdd.

post #41 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 01:39 PM

Unfortunately I cannot record to disc anymore either. I have Dish Network with another tv hooked to it so I disconnected the DVR from main tv and tried to hook it up to 2nd tv and can't get anything to work, probably have it hooked up wrong, just using HDMI cable. Tried to use component and video cables with no luck. I am totally ignorant when it comes to this stuff. I just got a new LG tv and had no trouble getting the DVR connected to it and it was working fine. Don't know if I want to spend the bucks for another DVR. Almost ready to cut the cord and just use the internet. Thanks for the help but I give up.
post #42 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 02:27 PM

If the TV works with the cable from Dish Network without a converter box then the recorder will also work.  Check that you have the cable to the in and out to the tv (you may have them reverse). Check the HDMI you have selected on the TV making sure it the correct one that you have plugged your HDMI cable from the recorder.

post #43 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 02:29 PM

I wonder if a Western Digital 320 GB AV-GP SATA 3 Gb/s Intellipower 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM AV Hard Drive- WD3200AVVS will be a plug and play for my MDR533H?

post #44 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron365 View Post

I wonder if a Western Digital 320 GB AV-GP SATA 3 Gb/s Intellipower 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM AV Hard Drive- WD3200AVVS will be a plug and play for my MDR533H?
Possibly not. The 53X series were made with cheaper power supplies that can't supply the needed power so they were shipping with low-power laptop drives. If you open your box and see a 5.25" drive, pay particular attention to the power requirements when you shop for a replacement.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #45 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 06:44 PM

Cable from dish connected to in on dvr, cable out from dvr to in on tv, HDMI cable set to HDMI 1 on tv and HDMI 1 on input. DVR keeps loading but when it is finished I can't and I try to record I still get E48 on both HDD and DVD. There is no dish receiver for the 2nd tv just the cable. On the main tv with the box I had the HDMI cable and a red and white cable connected to tv and box, also red, yellow, and white cable from box to tv. After I opened the receiver to check for loose connections inside and then put the cover on and reconnected to dish and TV nothing would work right. Maybe I will try a new HDMI cord. Couldn't even use the skip 079 to check it. Both tvs are digital and converter no needed.
post #46 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Cable from dish connected to in on dvr, cable out from dvr to in on tv, HDMI cable set to HDMI 1 on tv and HDMI 1 on input. DVR keeps loading but when it is finished I can't and I try to record I still get E48 on both HDD and DVD. There is no dish receiver for the 2nd tv just the cable. On the main tv with the box I had the HDMI cable and a red and white cable connected to tv and box, also red, yellow, and white cable from box to tv. After I opened the receiver to check for loose connections inside and then put the cover on and reconnected to dish and TV nothing would work right. Maybe I will try a new HDMI cord. Couldn't even use the skip 079 to check it. Both tvs are digital and converter no needed.

I don't understand your "cable" connections. When you say "Cable" you need to specify which type of cable. Also, HDMI carries both video and audio so why the red/white cables from bxo to TV in addition to the HDMI. What cables are connected between the box and the Mag, and between the Mag and TV?

When you say you couldn't use SKIP 079 to check it, does that mean you couldn't see anything on the TV or it didn't do anything at all?

Lots of questions before trying to solve inside issues, like loose connections.

|
|
|
post #47 of 81 Old 03-28-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

Cable from dish connected to in on dvr, cable out from dvr to in on tv, HDMI cable set to HDMI 1 on tv and HDMI 1 on input. DVR keeps loading but when it is finished I can't and I try to record I still get E48 on both HDD and DVD. There is no dish receiver for the 2nd tv just the cable.
I don't understand what you are doing. The coax feed from a satellite system is different from the coax feed from a cable system. A satellite coax feed is meant to be plugged into a satellite receiver. A satellite coax feed carries a high bias voltage and will likely blow out the Rf input of a TV or DVD recorder.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #48 of 81 Old 03-29-2014, 10:23 AM

Thank you Kelson for the information on the HDD.  I will open up the case and see what HDD they are using on my MDR533H. In reading the feedback on recorders they seem to like the Hitachi disk drives.  In my looking on the internet this drive seems to be not available.  Is there any other brand that seem more reliable?

post #49 of 81 Old 03-29-2014, 11:39 AM

Do you know if they are using the same power supply for the complete MDR53XH series?   If they are, I was thinking I could upgrade my MDR533H by putting in a 500GB HDD vs the 320GB HDD that it came with.  Any suggestions on a reliable 500GB HDD?

post #50 of 81 Old 03-29-2014, 04:11 PM

I finally got it. Had to have the red, white and yellow cable connected to video in from receiver to mag in order to view tv with mag on. Now I am able to record on HDD. It must have had something to do with the new tv and the way I reconnected everything. I feel so much better now that I know the Magnavox MDR533 is not bad. Thanks for your input, being 65 years old, I am not a techie and struggle with this stuff.
post #51 of 81 Old 03-29-2014, 04:16 PM

Finally figured it out and everything is working fine. I can record on HDD now and DVD and can use the timer recording again. Thanks for the help.
post #52 of 81 Old 03-30-2014, 06:25 AM

Great news tobyjr, hopefully the dreaded E48 will not come back.  Let me know if the HDD gives you anymore problems.  I am still struggling with my HDD and dread changing the HDD.

post #53 of 81 Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 AM

Magnavox hard drive for a MDR533H

My hard drive on my Magnavox MDR533H (320GB) finally die completely. The removable disk drive still works fine. I was wondering if a Western Digital Bare Drives 500GB WD Blue SATA III 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard would be a plug and play swap. I believe that Magnavox is using the same power supply for the 320GB and 500 GB recorders.
post #54 of 81 Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron365 View Post
My hard drive on my Magnavox MDR533H (320GB) finally die completely. The removable disk drive still works fine. I was wondering if a Western Digital Bare Drives 500GB WD Blue SATA III 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard would be a plug and play swap. I believe that Magnavox is using the same power supply for the 320GB and 500 GB recorders.
How do you know the HDD failed completely?

There are tests to confirm or disprove that.

|
|
|
post #55 of 81 Old 07-24-2014, 02:42 PM

Magnavox533H 320GB DVR

In answer to the question about determining the status of my hard drive. The drive has been intermittent for the last six months. It started with it not recording the first time recording but would record the second time recording. Other times when trying to use the hard drive the DVR would tell me to power down now. Kind of scary! I tried a few codes that this site mentioned and the hard drive started to work again but then fail. The DVD disk recorded continues to work fine no problems. The hard drive does not record anything now.
post #56 of 81 Old 07-24-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

1. If your HDD is nearly full (90% or more), delete some titles.

2. Try SKIP 079 STEP 1 ONLY here.
That will tell whether the OS finds a HDD or not.
If it says NG on the HDD connection status, you should open the case and check the ribbon and power cables and make sure they're tightly connected, straight across the fitting, and clamshell locks in place. You can unlock, press cable in, then relock to be sure.
Before starting this, see the case-opening sections and the PRECAUTIONS down farther in that help file.

3. If HDD shows as connected OK, try a SKIP 013 described right under that SKIP 079 procedure.
That will tell you whether your HDD internals are OK or NG.
Note that SKIP 013 deleted all recorded titles
Even if the HDD returns a NG, it may still be OK. I hade a refurb'd 3575 that stuck on playback on 1st three titles and wouldn't even let me DO the test. I recorded to the HDD multiple titles until it stopped recording, two or three times, which made it use some of its MANY reserve sectors. It now works fine and can do SKIP 079 and SKIP 013 with no problem, and reports OK.

|
|
|
post #57 of 81 Old 07-24-2014, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the help. I believe that I have done what you describe before but will do it again. The hard drive has nothing on it. We normally only do two show a day and then delete. The problem started with the continue dropping of one of the time recording. Then this escalated to the screen saying power down now. This Magnavox is using a 320 GB Hitachi 2 1/2 inch drive P/N 0J13183 (HDD Z5K320-320) SATA 3.0 5v 700mA DC. This Magnavox contiues to record daily to disk with no problem. Never skips a time recoding.
post #58 of 81 Old 07-24-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron365 View Post
Thanks for the help. I believe that I have done what you describe before but will do it again. The hard drive has nothing on it. We normally only do two show a day and then delete. The problem started with the continue dropping of one of the time recording. Then this escalated to the screen saying power down now. This Magnavox is using a 320 GB Hitachi 2 1/2 inch drive P/N 0J13183 (HDD Z5K320-320) SATA 3.0 5v 700mA DC. This Magnavox contiues to record daily to disk with no problem. Never skips a time recoding.
Well, no use repeating the tests... always a chance something could go wrong! If it reported all OK before with SKIP 079, your HDD connection should be OK.

I have to assume you've also done the simple Soft Reset? That's a harmless procedure but certainly not a miracle worker. Can;t hurt.

The part about skipping a recording is bothersome. It might do that if it thinks there's no HDD attached at that specific time (intermittent OK/NG)? However, I believe a few other people have reported "similar" problems, spec. it sticks on a channel from the 1st of two timer recordings and doesn't switch to 2nd channel for next recording... might be related? I haven't heard of any "fix" for that problem but also haven't heard of it in a long while... might have been with early units before they discovered they had a problem with the power supply, causing them to switch from 3-1/2" HDDs to the much less-power-hungry 2-1/2" HDDs.

|
|
|
post #59 of 81 Old 07-24-2014, 03:43 PM

When observing what hard drive was installed I inspected all connections. All are good. As I stated before with the removable disk the Magnavox never skips a time recording.
Also, it never gives me that message telling me to power the Magnavox now. I have been using the removable disk for over a month and it never gives me any problems. I could try the SKIP 013, I do not remember doing that procedure.
post #60 of 81 Old 07-24-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Can you select the HDD drive then press REC and will it then record to the HDD manually?

Also, can you set up a timer program for recording to a DVD, don't insert a DVD, and let it record (hopefully) to the HDD (alternate auto-switch recording function)?

|
|
|
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page