Magnavox MDR535H - MDR535H/F7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 81 Old 11-10-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am new to the forum and am a bit behind (about 20 years) in TV technology.  I bought my first flat screen TV less than 1 year ago.  I still have a couple of analog TVs with tuner boxes with aging VCRs. I dropped cable about a year and a half ago and now use over-the-air antenna only.

I wanted to get a DVR for the flat screen but quickly found that there are not many options.  I didn't want a subscription fee of any kind so after a little searching, I landed on the Magnavox DVR.  I just purchased the 500 GB model and have not even opened the box yet.  

My questions are:

1. I thought I was getting a MDR535H/F7 based upon the web description but the box just says MDR535H.  Is there a difference?  What is the significance of the /F7 ?  The box did have quite a bit of dust on it which could point to perhaps it had been sitting on the shelf for a while and perhaps this is an older model.  (It was not packed in brown shipping box...it was shipped in retail box only so maybe the dust came from the shipping company??)

2. I just read on this site that they have a newer model (HDR5710/F7) in the works.  I didn't read much about it yet, but found it doesn't have a DVD drive.  I seem to only comprehend about half of what I read with technology so it takes a while for things to soak in for me.  Should I have waited to buy this model?

3. Did I buy the right DVR?  My main purposed to have the DVR is to record shows from over the air that I can't watch when they originally air.  I know TIVO is better but I do not want a subscription.  I also liked the idea of the DVD drive so that I can upgrade my old junky DVD player and just use this to play movies.  I also might (some day) use it to transfer old VHS tapes to DVD.  At this time, I don't do much streaming.  My new TV is a smart TV but I do not subscribe to Netflix, Hulu-Plus, etc. and even if I did, I would have no need to record those programs since they can be played on-demand.  I am not interested in recording TV shows for archive purposes but rather just to record shows that I can't watch when they air.  I also am not interested in setting up a computer to use as a DVR.  My wife is even less technology savvy so it needs to be simple and painless to operate.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your answers and comments.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 11-10-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnrboyd View Post
I am new to the forum and am a bit behind (about 20 years) in TV technology. I bought my first flat screen TV less than 1 year ago. I still have a couple of analog TVs with tuner boxes with aging VCRs. I dropped cable about a year and a half ago and now use over-the-air antenna only.

I wanted to get a DVR for the flat screen but quickly found that there are not many options. I didn't want a subscription fee of any kind so after a little searching, I landed on the Magnavox DVR. I just purchased the 500 GB model and have not even opened the box yet.

My questions are:

1. I thought I was getting a MDR535H/F7 based upon the web description but the box just says MDR535H. Is there a difference? What is the significance of the /F7 ? The box did have quite a bit of dust on it which could point to perhaps it had been sitting on the shelf for a while and perhaps this is an older model. (It was not packed in brown shipping box...it was shipped in retail box only so maybe the dust came from the shipping company??)
The /F7 is not necessary, it just identifies the unit/model as built for North America.
Quote:
Quote: 2. I just read on this site that they have a newer model (HDR5710/F7) in the works. I didn't read much about it yet, but found it doesn't have a DVD drive. I seem to only comprehend about half of what I read with technology so it takes a while for things to soak in for me. Should I have waited to buy this model?
The new Philips 5710 and 5750 were released in November 2013. With the 5710, you'll get HD recording rather than SD, and no DVD burner. The 5710/5750 have Composite YWR RCA Out though, so you can copy things from the HD units to a SD recorder (like your 535 or cheaper disc-only DVD recorder). You can also copy the recorded files to your PC using a SW app like UFS Explorer Standard Access. The new 5710/5750 have built-in Wi-Fi (plus Ethernet (if preferred) and streaming capability for Netflix, Vudu, UouTube and CinemaNow (so far) without separate boxes for that streaming..
Quote:
Quote: 3. Did I buy the right DVR? My main purposed to have the DVR is to record shows from over the air that I can't watch when they originally air. I know TIVO is better but I do not want a subscription. I also liked the idea of the DVD drive so that I can upgrade my old junky DVD player and just use this to play movies. I also might (some day) use it to transfer old VHS tapes to DVD. At this time, I don't do much streaming. My new TV is a smart TV but I do not subscribe to Netflix, Hulu-Plus, etc. and even if I did, I would have no need to record those programs since they can be played on-demand. I am not interested in recording TV shows for archive purposes but rather just to record shows that I can't watch when they air. I also am not interested in setting up a computer to use as a DVR. My wife is even less technology savvy so it needs to be simple and painless to operate.
The 535 will do the things you want to do now very well... wife will likely approve!

Last edited by wajo; 07-28-2014 at 07:23 AM.
post #3 of 81 Old 11-10-2013, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply wajo...  I hooked it up today.  I think it will work ok for my needs but I sure wish it recorded in HD and had 2 tuners. 

One improvement over my VCR that I noticed is that it will record a timed event even when the unit is powered on.  My VCR must be off for the timer to kick in and record.  I can't tell you how many times I have left the VCR on only to find out my shows didn't record.  I guess that won't happen with this unit.  

Do you know how long the timed events will stay in memory if the power happens to go out?

post #4 of 81 Old 11-10-2013, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Also, the manufacture date of the unit says Sept 2012.  Do you think that is normal or should I be worried? (newer software, faster hard drive, refurb, etc.)

post #5 of 81 Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnrboyd View Post

Thanks for the reply wajo...  I hooked it up today.  I think it will work ok for my needs but I sure wish it recorded in HD and had 2 tuners. 

One improvement over my VCR that I noticed is that it will record a timed event even when the unit is powered on.  My VCR must be off for the timer to kick in and record.  I can't tell you how many times I have left the VCR on only to find out my shows didn't record.  I guess that won't happen with this unit.  

Do you know how long the timed events will stay in memory if the power happens to go out?

Memory should be at least 1 hour, but if you set Auto Clock > Manual, as described here, it should last 2+ hours.

Quote:

Also, the manufacture date of the unit says Sept 2012.  Do you think that is normal or should I be worried? (newer software, faster hard drive, refurb, etc.)

A Sep 2012 unit might have problems with an "undersized" power supply. Funai found a few people who had problems they attributed to a new power supply that was "apparently" not sized right for a 3-1/2" +12V HDD, so in October or so, they started putting 2-1/2" +5V (laptop) HDDs, which seemed to fix the few problems they had.

I can't tell you exactly what to look for since I don't know what *specific* problems were caused, but I have read of some early users whose back-to-back timers "stuck" on the 1st channel and didn't switch to the 2nd channel... you might try a few of those first? Maybe even a "stress" test of multiple back-to-back timer recordings on different channels???

post #6 of 81 Old 11-11-2013, 06:08 AM

Liked: 38
Hope we have some special pricing for Black Friday, as I want to add a 537.
post #7 of 81 Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

A Sep 2012 unit might have problems with an "undersized" power supply. Funai found a few people who had problems they attributed to a new power supply that was "apparently" not sized right for a 3-1/2" +12V HDD, so in October or so, they started putting 2-1/2" +5V (laptop) HDDs, which seemed to fix the few problems they had.

I can't tell you exactly what to look for since I don't know what *specific* problems were caused, but I have read of some early users whose back-to-back timers "stuck" on the 1st channel and didn't switch to the 2nd channel... you might try a few of those first? Maybe even a "stress" test of multiple back-to-back timer recordings on different channels???

Well isn't that just wonderful......  I finally bite the bullet and decide to upgrade aging VCRs (which work fine besides having to deal with limited capability external tuner boxes) and find out I get one that was made over a year ago and could have a potential flaw.  Now I have to do testing on a box that should have been done by the manufacturer.  Just my luck.  

Even if it would pass the "stress" test, I am now concerned that it might fail down the road.  I will try the multiple back-to-back recordings but I still might just return it out of principle if nothing else.

I appreciate your assistance.

post #8 of 81 Old 11-11-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

I think it will work ok for my needs but I sure wish it recorded in HD and had 2 tuners. 
Quote:

Well isn't that just wonderful......  
I still might just return it out of principle if nothing else.

Take a look here.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 81 Old 11-14-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't really see anything in that post that looks better than the Magnavox.  The reviews on some of the other units are not that great and I've never heard of most of the brands.  With technology so far advanced in the world today, I am struggling with why there are not more DVR options for a cord-cutter.  No money in it I guess.

post #10 of 81 Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I didn't really see anything in that post that looks better than the Magnavox.

That's because nothing available new, from a national chain store, in the Magnavox price range, is as "mature" a device as the Magnavox (nor do they include a DVD drive). DVD/HDD recorders have been around since 2002, the Magnavox design was locked in back in 2008. Unfortunately, the Magnavox does not record in HiDef, which is unacceptable to more and more users with big screens as the years pass. And like all modern electronic toys, it is riddled with bugs that may or may not annoy a specific owner. Depending on your location and channels, you may have zero problems, minor problems, or the thing will be totally useless. Assuming you bought yours directly from WalMart, they have a very generous return-refund policy: test it thoroughly for several weeks, and if you discover any dealbreakers just send it back. You may find it suits you perfectly: certainly no other recorder in history has been documented more thoroughly or has so many threads dedicated to it.

Most of the Magnavox issues that pop up to bite people involve cable service: since you dropped cable and now use an OTA antenna, you are automatically spared 75% of potential Magnavox drama. The only issues encountered by OTA users are channel conflicts and the power supply problem wajo mentioned. Channel conflicts occur when the broadcaster plays games with "virtual frequencies," a topic way too complicated to explain here- in brief, the Magnavox will record dead air if set to timer record a station that plays stupid technical games with its frequency. This problem is much more common with cable service, but it does hit some OTA users, and when it hits it can't always be worked around. There's no way to know without setting up the unit you purchased and attempting to timer record all the OTA channels you watch regularly.

The power supply glitch wajo referred to is subtle, does not apply to all units (only certain production runs), and is somewhat dependent on how clean the power grid is in your location. Urban dwellers with stable AC power not constantly afflicted by weather storms fare better. If you are very worried about this, you can open your Magnavox to check what kind of hard drive is inside: a large HDD means you *might* run into a power issue, a very small 2.5" laptop HDD means you have one of the newer modified units (newer is likely better). Or, send your unopened 535 back for refund and instead search for a 513 or 515 on the secondary eBay or Amazon market (the older models look and function identically, but have some different internal parts and less hard drive space).

Quote:
The reviews on some of the other units are not that great and I've never heard of most of the brands.  With technology so far advanced in the world today, I am struggling with why there are not more DVR options for a cord-cutter.  No money in it I guess.

The simplicity of the VCR era is long gone, and isn't coming back. Partly this is due to the much higher percentage of cable/satellite subscribers compared to 20 years ago, and part of it is cultural (fractured marketplace, consumers split into several conflicting groups who don't agree at all on how they view or record TV). One would never guess from the heated discussions seen in this forum, but the overwhelming majority of North Americans are perfectly happy paying monthly fees for a cable/satellite PVR or TiVO. They like the convenience and integration, and would rather pay fees than be aggravated by flakey generic recorders. The people who choose to cut the cord and get their TV from off-air broadcasts are wildly inconsistent: many don't record at all, because they're too old to be bothered, or they use streaming services built into their PCs, TVs, game consoles or BluRay players.

Without dependable sales volume, the major electronics brands decided they don't want to be in the standalone OTA recorder business anymore, and left the field to all these random unknown Chinese companies. This has resulted in some good deals like the ridiculously cheap iView and Homeworx, which seem to work quite well as basic off-air DVRs for HDTV. But you do need to be a bit of a geek to use them, and heaven help you if your spouse is tech-phobic. None of these devices is as idiot-proof as a VCR (which is really funny considering how many people never even learned to set the clock on their VCR). We live in a great era if you're a tech geek, but a truly lousy era if you aren't. Simplicity is simply dead.

My advice is to try out your Magnavox and see how you like it. You already bought it, its been delivered, and more than likely will work out just fine for you. Assuming you can live with standard-def recordings played on your newer larger flat TV, theres no other comparable option for OTA recording. The Magnavox is about as close to operating a VCR as you're going to find in 2013. The new, supposedly forthcoming Philips/Magnavox HDTV recorders are very different from the current Magnavox DVD/HDD recorders: much more geeky, much more like the units discussed in that other thread
post #11 of 81 Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I didn't really see anything in that post that looks better than the Magnavox.  
You said you wanted 2 tuners and HD recording -- don't expect that to be as inexpensive as a low-end SD DVD recorder. The link I cited is the list of HD DVR's available now in a range of prices from the single-tuner $50 iView (which basically programs like the Magnavox 535) to the 4-tuner $700 TiVo Roamio (gold standard).

What is not on the list yet is the middle-of-the-road Channel Master CM-7500 which will be released in the coming weeks. The base model is $250, offers 2 HD tuners, full guide functionality for programming. You supply your own external USB HDD of your choice from 500 GB to 3TB -- you choose the size and price to suit your needs. See Here.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #12 of 81 Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Citibear... thank you for the excellent explanation.  I don't know why things today have to be more complicated than they were 20 years ago.  One would think that technology would make things easier rather than more complicated.  That obviously isn't the case with regards to TV.

I've had the Magnavox DVR recording about 10 programs a week for the past couple of weeks and so far, everything is working great.  The picture certainly isn't as good as my 42" flat screen but it is much better than the VCR that is still in use on a 27" tube TV I have in the basement.  The color seems a bit dim also.  I know I could adjust the TV but I don't want to change the settings every time to watch a recorded program.  I can live with it.  

99% of the time I will be recording one of the 4 major network channels so maybe I will get lucky and not have any of the issues you spoke about.  

The Magnavox VCR I have is 15-20 years old and has been the best electronic product I have ever owned.  If I get half as much use out of the DVR that I have out of the VCR, I will be happy.   

In the near future, I am hoping to upgrade my old 27" tube TV in the basement and replace it with something in the 55"-60" range.  I will want to add another DVR there also.  Will the bigger size cause the SD recording to suffer more on the larger screen or will it look about the same as my current 42" in my living room?

Is there any way to determine what production runs have the larger hard drive (and possible power supply issue) without opening up the unit?  I think if you open it, it will void the warranty.

Kelson..... The new Channel Master 7500 looks interesting.  I will keep an eye out for that when I upgrade my 2nd TV.

Thanks again to both of you for the assistance.

post #13 of 81 Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Citibear... thank you for the excellent explanation.  I don't know why things today have to be more complicated than they were 20 years ago.  One would think that technology would make things easier rather than more complicated.  That obviously isn't the case with regards to TV.

That's because the market is driven by people that weren't alive 20 years ago (or were at least kids.) They grew up with more and more complicated technology, and so are used to it.

Yes, things are more complicated, but the tradeoff is we can do a lot more than we could in the VCR era. I recently got a "smart TV" after three plus decades of "dumb" TV, and I can't say I'll ever go back.
Quote:
The Magnavox VCR I have is 15-20 years old and has been the best electronic product I have ever owned.  If I get half as much use out of the DVR that I have out of the VCR, I will be happy.   

15-20 years out of a modern electronic device is a tall order. 5-10 is doable if you take care of it, though something else will come along to change everything again. Technology marches on. smile.gif
Quote:
In the near future, I am hoping to upgrade my old 27" tube TV in the basement and replace it with something in the 55"-60" range.  I will want to add another DVR there also.  Will the bigger size cause the SD recording to suffer more on the larger screen or will it look about the same as my current 42" in my living room?

Yeah, you'll most likely notice a big difference and probably won't be that satisfied with standard definition. Definitely look for an HD option if you can.

On the plus side, since you use an antenna, you're getting a much better signal than cable users. SD cable on a 55" 1080p TV is LOUSY. Ask me how I know. frown.gifwink.gif

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #14 of 81 Old 11-22-2013, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I've had the Magnavox DVR recording about 10 programs a week for the past couple of weeks and so far, everything is working great. [...] 99% of the time I will be recording one of the 4 major network channels so maybe I will get lucky and not have any of the issues you spoke about.

I'm glad it seems to be working well for you. If you were going to encounter the bug with conflicting channel frequencies, you would have noticed it by now: since you seem to be timer recording all your local channels successfully, you should be OK unless one of the stations starts messing with its frequency in future. Most of the stations that jumped on that dubious bandwagon have already done it, so odds are your situation won't change anytime soon. Most people who reported this issue had it with their local Fox affiliate, if you've been timer recording Fox shows without problems, don't worry about it.

Quote:
 The picture certainly isn't as good as my 42" flat screen but it is much better than the VCR that is still in use on a 27" tube TV I have in the basement.  The color seems a bit dim also.  I know I could adjust the TV but I don't want to change the settings every time to watch a recorded program.  I can live with it. 

42" is pushing the limits of standard def recordings being watchable. Hollywood DVDs can come close to HDTV quality, but not recordings we make off-air on a DVD recorder: they'll always look a bit soft and disappointing at screen sizes above 32". Your eyes tend to adjust after awhile. The "dim color" could be a combination of your TV settings and the Magnavox itself: the tuner is known to have a darker than usual signal output. For whatever inexplicable reason, theres long been a disconnect between tuners in new TVs and tuners in new recorders: the tuners in TVs are usually dramatically better. No one knows why. And flat screen televisions vary wildly in how they reproduce color: in our house we have a Sony, a Panasonic and a Samsung. The Sony has the least impressive picture, but is very consistent: color does not change from show to show or between antenna and DVD recorder. Our Panasonic has a picture than can knock your socks off, an almost magical quality, but the damn color changes from scene to scene within a program, changes with each playback input, and must be adjusted constantly to match skin tones correctly. Our Samsung falls between the Sony and Panasonic: punchier than the Sony, not as color consistent, but way steadier than the Panasonic. The old CRT tube TVs were much easier to deal with color-wise. 

Quote:

As Tulpa mentioned, nothing we buy now has the longevity of a VCR. The average DVD recorder has a lifespan of 4 years before it goes wonky and can't be repaired. The Magnavox has a much better than average reputation for DVD drive durability, many owners have been running since 2007/2008 without a hiccup.

Quote:

You will absolutely hate standard def recordings played on a 55"-60" screen. If you want a second DVR for this larger screen, do yourself a favor and choose one of the Chinese units from that other thread (like the iView 3500II, or upcoming ChannelMaster 7500). These will record in full HD quality, although they can't make DVDs. It is worth learning to use one of these off-brand boxes if you opt for a huge screen: I've seen Magnavox, Pioneer and Panasonic DVD recorders hooked up to 60" screens, and they ain't pretty. Not by a long shot.

Quote:
Is there any way to determine what production runs have the larger hard drive (and possible power supply issue) without opening up the unit?  I think if you open it, it will void the warranty.

Not really. If you are very careful, you can open the cabinet without damaging the void sticker. But I wouldn't worry about it too much: if you have a unit with power issues, they'd have likely manifested already. Have you tried setting some back to back timer recordings? Like 8:00PM to 8:30PM and 8:30PM to 9PM? If you try this several days in a row and the unit records them all properly, it is probably OK.

Note these machines can be a bit quirky and occasionally exhibit oddball symptoms that seem scarier than they really are. If the clock/timer gets goofy, switch it to the Manual setting and kill the Auto Daylight Savings feature. If it freezes, esp while changing channels, try the Soft Reset instructions wajo has posted. VCRs were mostly "dumb" electro-mechanical devices, so they just worked until they broke down completely. DVD recorders are miniature computer workstations, and like any prima-dona computer, they crap out occasionally for no apparent reason. Anything can set them off: slight power surge from the AC outlet, broadcasting glitch in a channel, auto clock signals, weather, you name it.
post #15 of 81 Old 11-23-2013, 04:36 AM

Good info Citibear! I have a 515 and it works fine....but as noted, it does, albeit rarely, freeze up and a soft reset must be done, since it is a computer.
Had this 515 for 3 years and only had to reset it about 3 times, so yes, rare event.

Am hoping black Friday deals coming, as would like to grab a 537.
post #16 of 81 Old 11-25-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Again, thanks for the insight.  This forum seems to have many folks with considerable knowledge about the Magnavox and other DVRs.  I will be coming back as I run across other questions that need answers.  

That is good to know about the SD recorder on a larger TV not being very good.  I will keep that in mind when and if I decide to upgrade my other TV to a 55-60.  I had originally thought about getting a second Magnavox but now I don't think that would be a good idea.  Maybe the Channel Master 7500 will fill that need and will be out by the time I need it and at a reasonable cost.  I really don't need a DVD burner as I don't archive any movies or TV programs.  (Or maybe I will win the lottery and buy a Tivo with lifetime subscription.....600-700 dollars?...ouch!!)

post #17 of 81 Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is good to know about the SD recorder on a larger TV not being very good.  I will keep that in mind when and if I decide to upgrade my other TV to a 55-60.  I had originally thought about getting a second Magnavox but now I don't think that would be a good idea.  Maybe the Channel Master 7500 will fill that need and will be out by the time I need it and at a reasonable cost.  I really don't need a DVD burner as I don't archive any movies or TV programs.  (Or maybe I will win the lottery and buy a Tivo with lifetime subscription.....600-700 dollars?...ouch!!)
You will not be happy using a DVD recorder on a large screen flat panel. There are two things wrong with a DVD recorder when it comes to large screens:
1) they are SD
but more importantly,
2) they re-encode everything they record -- they do it on the fly which puts you completely at the mercy of the quality of their encoder chip -- you get what you pay for.

A real DVR has no encoders. It does not corrupt the incoming transport stream. It simply records that transport stream to the HDD as it was broadcast. When it comes time for playback, it decodes the original broadcast stream and sends it to your display via HDMI so that it looks exactly as if you were watching it live. The CM-7500 will come with 2 tuners, a full guide, a DVR UI and provision for an external HDD for $250. You can put any size HDD you want (at least 3TB, possibly bigger) and record/playback in full HD.

- kelson h

post #18 of 81 Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I have a Magnavox OTA DVR of that vintage and am quite happy with it.  The picture looks great, even on an HD TV.  Standaed DVD's borrowed from the library look great, too.You've gotta start somewhere.  Rip that thing open and begin getting familiar with it.  For what you need it for, you chose well.  That's the same as I use my recorder/player for.

Good Luck!

ANYthing but Cable!
post #19 of 81 Old 12-06-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:

I think it will work ok for my needs but I sure wish it recorded in HD and had 2 tuners. 
Apart from the Channel Master unit mentioned earlier, another lower cost option is Digital Stream DPH1000R HDTV recorder with 2 HD tuners and 320 GB hard drive. It does have HDMI and component output, but no DVD recorder and only one SD input. It is available from Amazon and BHPhoto for around $215 now. Based on my experience with unit for about a year, I can recommend it, apart from the poor design remote. Here is a link to it. There is also a review of the unit in the HD recorder section. http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Stream-DPH1000R-Recorder-Tuner/dp/B007FEEO3S
post #20 of 81 Old 12-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Tulpa and CitiBear,

Thanks for the caution about SD on the larger tv's, 55" +, maybe even 42".

Since 32" is the largest in my world (so far), this is nice to know.

With all the tape conversion going on, even s-vhs wouldn't be very hi-def.

Question: Would the EH55 up-convert for the HDMI output to the larger tv's make the picture more palatable? I realize it could not supply hi-def detail, but my thinking is that the pixels would be there to smooth the "grain effect" of enlarging the 480 pixels. Or is that not the way it works?
post #21 of 81 Old 12-07-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post

Question: Would the EH55 up-convert for the HDMI output to the larger tv's make the picture more palatable? I realize it could not supply hi-def detail, but my thinking is that the pixels would be there to smooth the "grain effect" of enlarging the 480 pixels. Or is that not the way it works?
Doesn't matter if it does or doesn't. Your HDTV will upconvert any signal it receives to match the display resolution of its panel. Chances are the scaler in your HDTV is much better than the one in a DVD recorder since the TV has to upconvert everything and is designed to do so.

As for upconversion and the picture -- it is still SD, period. It's not like you are adding a couple pixels to smooth out the picture. Going from 480x720 to 1080x1920 requires the synthesis of 83% of the pixels in the frame. So when you start with an SD recorded image, 83% of what you see on the screen is make believe.

- kelson h

post #22 of 81 Old 12-08-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

...And flat screen televisions vary wildly in how they reproduce color: in our house we have a Sony, a Panasonic and a Samsung:
  • The Sony has the least impressive picture, but is very consistent: color does not change from show to show or between antenna and DVD recorder.
  • Our Panasonic has a picture than can knock your socks off, an almost magical quality, but the damn color changes from scene to scene within a program, changes with each playback input, and must be adjusted constantly to match skin tones correctly.
  • Our Samsung falls between the Sony and Panasonic: punchier than the Sony, not as color consistent, but way steadier than the Panasonic.
The old CRT tube TVs were much easier to deal with color-wise...
Hi CitiBear!

I meant to reply to your comment regarding the Panasonic soon after I read it, but, then I couldn't find it again, until now. redface.gif

My first *REAL* entry into HDTV was a Panasonic TC-L32C3 (Top Tier, Budget Level Entry). I adjusted it via the patterns on a THX DVD, IIRC, for brightness and contrast but did the color and tint by eye using the Evening News. Compared to my old CRTs, the formerly blue walls in the police station on Law & Order were now green, as were MANY formerly blue objects, and the blacks were terrible. But, it was 720p HDTV. I also needed different settings for Hauppauge PVR-1212 .TS recordings viewed through a Patriot PBO Media Player vs ReplayTV recordings using a Magnavox DVDR strictly as a ClearQAM tuner (much darker than the PVR-1212 recordings - so much in fact that some night scenes actually 'flipped' colors and the character in a dark suit actually looked like an old film negative - dark red or purple, can't remember, instead of black).

I recently spent a week in the hospital for heart problems so I was watching a LG LCD for ~20 hours / day. When I got home, I 'tweaked' the brightness and contrast down a bit and bumped the color up a bit and now see that 'magical' picture you referred to. wink.gif

What model is your Panasonic?

BTW, I also have a "Brand-New-in-Box" Panasonic TC-L37U3 waiting for me to add 2 wheels to the middle of my sagging entertainment center.

Brief Explanation: It came with 4 TEMPORARY wheels, one at each corner, that I was supposed to remove after I positioned it where I wanted it. But what self-respecting Tinkerer doesn't need to access the back of his entertainment center at least a few times a week?!? eek.gif I also may have removed some of the 1/8" plywood back to improve air flow. rolleyes.gif My plan is to build a 6-swivel-wheel dolly to set it on and add the currently missing middle support.

Bottom Line: After viewing the LG for 6 days, I finally accepted the 'limitations' of LCD HDTV and am now much happier with my newly 'tweaked' settings.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #23 of 81 Old 12-10-2013, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Doesn't matter if it does or doesn't. Your HDTV will upconvert any signal it receives to match the display resolution of its panel. Chances are the scaler in your HDTV is much better than the one in a DVD recorder since the TV has to upconvert everything and is designed to do so.

As for upconversion and the picture -- it is still SD, period. It's not like you are adding a couple pixels to smooth out the picture. Going from 480x720 to 1080x1920 requires the synthesis of 83% of the pixels in the frame. So when you start with an SD recorded image, 83% of what you see on the screen is make believe.

Just curious
If we put a regular DVD in our BD players it won't upconvert past 480.
Has avsforum talked much about upconverting.
I just haven't thought about it in awhile.

That was a sale point for dvd players for several years.

"...And this DVD Player will upconvert to 1080p...."
post #24 of 81 Old 12-10-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post

Just curious
If we put a regular DVD in our BD players it won't upconvert past 480.

It won't upconvert past 480p from it's component output(if it has one) should have no problem upconverting DVDs to 1080p from it's HDMI output. We can thank the draconian MPAA for this :rolleyes: 

Oh DVD players will also not upconvert past 480p from component output.

post #25 of 81 Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

It won't upconvert past 480p from it's component output(if it has one) should have no problem upconverting DVDs to 1080p from it's HDMI output. We can thank the draconian MPAA for this rolleyes.gif  
Oh DVD players will also not upconvert past 480p from component output.

And Don't forget

Jack Valenti

Actually looked him up at google a few days ago.
Didn't realize that he died 6 years ago. 4-26-2007

He must have trained his group well.
post #26 of 81 Old 12-10-2013, 10:24 AM

These shots were taken from the Season Final of Fringe
Original recording 1-18-2013.
Recorded on my MDR 535 in HQ transferred after edit to its own
DVD recorder or HDD>>DVD.

Played through my LG BD 530 via new HDMI.

These shots were taken at apprx.3 feet.away from the screen. My viewing is 8 feet where a show like this looks really good.
HDTV 42" LG LED 1080p.
post #27 of 81 Old 03-23-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have a MDR533H mfg July 2012.  Has been working fine until recently were  back-to-back timers "stuck" on the 1st channel and didn't switch to the 2nd channel.  The unit is also showing an error code of E48 in the box for the second time recording.  I did a SKIP 079 and it displayed no problem.  I was wondering if I am seeing the early signs of a HDD failure?

post #28 of 81 Old 03-24-2014, 11:33 AM

Can I set the following timer program:
7 pm to 9:01 pm...digital channel 8.1, then 9:01 pm to 10:01 pm, digital channel 5.1, without issue or do I have to make the second program from 9:02 pm to 10:01 pm?
post #29 of 81 Old 03-24-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUL View Post

Can I set the following timer program:
7 pm to 9:01 pm...digital channel 8.1, then 9:01 pm to 10:01 pm, digital channel 5.1, without issue or do I have to make the second program from 9:02 pm to 10:01 pm?

Should be no problem with a normally operating unit.

(Just a very few people have had their 53x models... one above your post... not switch channels for 2nd timer, no known cause.)

post #30 of 81 Old 03-24-2014, 11:54 AM

Thanks Wajo! I will see what happens tonight.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page