after putting a check mark in skip box on timer recording, program disappears from my list! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 2 problems with my Magnavox DVR

Yesterday, I decided to skip some of our weekly regular recordings due to the holidays. I made the changes, put the check in the skip program box and turned it off. When I turned it back on, it had deleted every program I had put a skip next to. This wasn't the 1st time but it has now happened everytime I tried to use it. I have had this unit for about 2 years and it has worked flawlessly for the most part.

The other issue is when I watching something I recorded and a program operated via the timer starts to record, it won't automatically shut off as usual even though I have stopped watching recorded material. There is nothing in the manual I found that says what to do in this situation. When I am finished watching and letting the DVR continue to record, it won't turn off at the end of the recording...eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm not a Magnavox expert, but on the 515, if I Record, then Play, then Stop, that stops the Play, Recording continues until I Stop a second time. Could there be a somewhat parallel sequence going on in your case?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure. The situation is like this...I am watching apreviously recorded program when one of my timer recording starts. After I am finished watching the recording the timer recording is still going. I don't do anything with turning off the recorder because I am still recording.However when the timer should turn the machine off it doesn't....just goes into standby mode. Unfortunately I did not notice it for a couple of days and want to avoid it in the future. I actually have started watching recorded programs when I know there is no timer recording for awhile...
post #4 of 8 Old 11-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Test it. I don't know what happens when a timer prgram starts while you are watching a recorded program, but it it's easy to find out. Set a timer to start in three minutes, to record say for two minutes, then start watching something already recorded; then press STOP one time while the two minute recording is still recording and see what happens. Hopefully, pressing STOP will stop the playback, and the timer will stop at the end of its two minutes.

If that doesn't work, repeat but try the Power Off one time. Maybe you'll become the Magnavox expert. We learn a whole lot more from our mistakes than when everything goes acoording to expectations.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-27-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
rayfornario, what you describe is not unusual. I've owned several brands/models of DVD/HDD recorder that operate like that when watching a previously recorded video while the unit is simultaneously making a new timer recording. The unit will sit in powered standby mode after it finishes the timer recording, on the assumption you are still actively using the HDD for playback.

While this is annoying if you prefer the unit to shut itself off, I have found it isn't harmful to the Magnavox. Due to the small, confusing front panel display, many of my friends/family who own them can never tell if the power is on or off, so they leave them powered on continually for weeks or months on end. One of my friends has had his Magnavox MDR513 enclosed in an unventilated TV wall unit, powered on non-stop since he bought it two years ago. The Magnavox has its issues, like any other recorder, but in some respects it is really tough to kill. (I wouldn't count on running my Pioneer in a closed cabinet 24/7 for very long before it overheated and croaked- it starts blasting its fan into orbit within a couple hours).
post #6 of 8 Old 11-27-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 90

Does the Magnavox have a auto-off feature?

Panasonics have a setting for OFF, 1 or 4hrs, after which if you haven't done anything with it, it will power down. I always set mine to 1hr but after 30 minutes the HDD spins down(no way to disable this energy saving feature). I'd guess the Magnavoxes also have this HDD spin down feature, I think it's some type of government requirement as my international Panasonics have no such feature.

post #7 of 8 Old 11-30-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I will give this a shot
post #8 of 8 Old 12-01-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well I figured it out. After watching my pre-recorded show while the timer was recording another show, I didn't go back to show being recorded before turning off TV. Apparently, if you leave the recorder showing the shows that are still in the library while making a new recording, the Magnavox doesn't turn off after timer recording is finished;)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page