What Discs are Recommended For a Panasonic DMR-EA18K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-10-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All

Have 4 Panasonic Machines in the house, and 1 Philip 3576H DVD Recorder, which DVD +R or -R is best to get for the machines, plan on buying some more at Christmas, almost out of discs now....(ran out of 8x discs along time ago) Family wants so much recorded, I can barely keep up transferring stuff off the Satellite dvr (I know Satellite dvr isn't meant for long term storage)

Movies they record
Series shows off history channel and such
and one Series off NBC

Should I just forget recording the Series shows? and just order the series shows for my shows when they come out on DVD, my series I record is Chicago Fire

need to figure out how to not use so many discs, and also save wear and tear on the Recorders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-10-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've now archived more than 14,000 home recorded DVDs. This is my preferred media for all my recorders, Panasonic, Magnavox and Philips:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/jvc-taiyo-yuden-jdmr-zz-sk8-silver-lacquer-8x-dvd-r-media-premium-line-tape-wrap-100pk

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 12 Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, will definitely buy that soon as I get my Christmas gift card!!

Appreciate it so much
post #4 of 12 Old 12-10-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99

No arguments there, another option if you prefer matt top discs would be Verbatim -R 16x AZO, available at times for ~$20/100 at Amazon. Stick with -R discs for your Panasonics, +Rs are fine with your Philips.

post #5 of 12 Old 12-11-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerman3 View Post

Should I just forget recording the Series shows? and just order the series shows for my shows when they come out on DVD, my series I record is Chicago Fire.

The big question is IF they will come out on DVD.

Having been stung on awaiting DVD releases of shows, I now record every series I am interested in, and purchase the DVDs later if they ever get released.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #6 of 12 Old 12-11-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerman3 View Post

Movies they record
Series shows off history channel and such
and one Series off NBC

Should I just forget recording the Series shows? and just order the series shows for my shows when they come out on DVD, my series I record is Chicago Fire

need to figure out how to not use so many discs, and also save wear and tear on the Recorders

It isn't clear from your post exactly:

1. Why are you recording an endless variety of shows on your satellite PVR for your family? Is every family member a rabid collector of each and every show, wanting to keep them forever, or do they just temporarily need the DVDs to catch up on what they missed?

2. How many family members are we talking about? Do they all live in the house with you, or is a lot of this recording being done for family outside the home that just wants to piggyback on your satellite service?

It sounds like you're spending a disproportionate amount of your free time making DVDs for people (I've been there and done that). At a certain point it becomes a ridiculous never-ending burden: laboriously dubbing shows in real time from satellite PVR to DVD takes forever, and if the discs are only going to be watched once it really is a waste of effort. If this is primarily for family members to catch up on shows they've missed, you need to seriously consider more practical alternatives like talking to your satellite company about a whole-house PVR system. They put "substations" in each viewing room, with independent access to an "online PVR" so each person can record and watch any program at any time. This is not as costly as having a "real" PVR box in each room, and you might be able to negotiate a really good deal.

If this option is not available in your area, at least try to cut down on your disposable DVD use. The EA-18 is compatible with reusable DVD-RW discs, which you can erase and re-record on at least 30 times before discarding. Or, look into picking up another couple of HDD recorders while they're still available. The Magnavox MDR533 at Walmart for $230 is near-identical to your Philips 3575. You could dub an entire satellite box full of shows onto the Magnavox HDD in one long unattended session, then put it in the room of the person who needs to catch up. When they do, delete the shows from the Magnavox and fill it up again. Unwieldy, but easier than burning hundreds of DVDs each year.

Buying DVD sets at the end of each season is a great idea if they truly want to collect and rewatch favorite shows, but not cost effectiive for watch-once viewing. Also, as tomwil noted, obscure shows on stations like History Channel do not always come out on disc. Mostly it is series from the broadcast networks, F/X, HBO, Showtime.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well Family In the Same house decide to schedule just about everything on the Satellite Whole Home DVR, My shows am wanting to keep like Chicago Fire and PD, since (not sure if or when they'll be on DVD). Years ago I didn't mind doing all this, since wasn't so much to do.

But Now it's like massive amount to try and keep up with, Bible Series off History channel, Tons of Movies (which they'll probably never watch again even if I do get them done lol)

3 Family Members

Movies & Series to catch up on this week are
Chicago Fire (awaiting editing for my show) 4 Episodes, full disc if I can ever finish the commercial editing)
The Great Escape
Rob Roy
Superman Returns
The Blue and the Gray
Dr Do little 3
Vechile 19
The Bible Series on History
The Bible Secrets Revealed
NCIS and NCIS LA
Gangster Squad
The Flight Before Christmas
Genghis Khan
Bait
Jackie Chan in Shinjuku Incident
Zoom
Next of Kin
Billy Madison

and many more, too many to name currently

Been using DVD-Ram discs on Panasonic Recorder, DVD-R, RW, +RW, nearly out of all the discs I bought for birthday in February lol...

Marathons of NCIS from USA channel lol, 8-12 hours worth

Guess will just do one show at a time, and eventually catch up lol hopefully

Once On my old Panasonic Hard drive Dvd Recorder I recorded once a 48 hour All in the Family Marathon lol For Mom, she requested it, and barely even watches any of them now, Spent 48 hours of not being able to watch anything of mine while it recorded, Guess glad I got Media Center For Free with Windows 8 /8.1 at least can watch some of my shows I wanna watch at times on the PC lol while Television is busy all day long
post #8 of 12 Old 12-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Everybody! Get up! Go outside! cool.gif

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #9 of 12 Old 12-12-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
To return to the original question, I have to agree with DigaDo and jjeff. I use the Taiyo-Yuden almost exclusively, and have for many years. This is not to malign the Verbatim AZO product. Recently Amazon has had the Verbatim on excellent sales, quite a bit cheaper than the T-Ys, so I have purchased quite a few of them, and by quite a few I mean 1000 blank disks. rolleyes.gif I would not consider anything else.

I too archive many series. It can get overwhelming, so I suggest you get another machine and train someone else to take part of the burden. I use my DirecTV DVR as initial storage, and then copy the content to the DVD recorder, sometimes at night after going to bed, and then deal with editing the stuff on the DVD recorder later. I know, your DVD recorder doesn't have an HDD for editing before making the disk. I was just telling you what I do. If I had to be present in real-time for all that I record, I'd go very nuts. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #10 of 12 Old 12-13-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Well Moved recorders around---Down here using the Philips 3576H for a long while, moved the DMR-EA18K to other room, and second one upstairs for family, yet there like you dub all my recordings lol, with occasionally putting a disc in upstairs one, gonna setup one with our standard receiver...(doesn't have whole home access with that one in the Home office room) but at least I can schedule some of there history series and such with the EA18K, and maybe free up space on my 3576H Recorder hopefully.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've used TDK disks for years to dub recordings from my DMR-E85H, and after several hundred I think the quality has consistently been very good and there have only been one or two disks which were defective -- if by chance you have a Fry's Electronics anywhere in your local area, they'll carry the -R version in large-quantity spindle packaging and will periodically put them on sale for an excellent price.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-14-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well No Fry's Electronics around here, BestBuy, Walmarts, and Target is about it nowadays, Most of my ordering is done online these days, as can't really travel to far away places....so do best I can with what is local

Thank you all so much for the replies, slowly making progress on long list of family recordings lol
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Panasonic Dmr Ea18k Tunerless 1080p Upconverting Dvd Recorder
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com