How can I fix remote control for Magnavox H2160MW9A DVD/HD recorder? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

The remote for my old Magnavox combination DVD/HD recorder is getting very difficult to use. The main problem is with the OK button. I have to press it very firmly to get it to select any option on the menu, often 3 or 4 times, and sometimes, it will move to another menu selection and highlight it instead. I've already called Funai, and they don't have a remote available for this older model.

Is there anything I could possibly do to get it to function properly--like opening it up and cleaning it? If so, exactly how should I do this, and what would I need to clean it? If cleaning it is not advisable, would the Philips universal remote model SRP5107/27 work with this Magnavox recorder? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I don't recall if it can be opened. But if so, pull off the button sheet and swab the contacts on the board and the sheet with rubbing alcohol, let dry, then reassemble. That should give you a few more years of service. I don't know about that Philips, but a good universal replacement is the $8 RCA RCRP05BR. I've posted the codes for every possible command in the past in other threads. I'll try to dig them up if you go that route. If your remote still works at all, you can always learn all the commands on any learning remote. Harmony is also an option, albeit an expensive one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90

If cleaning doesn't work(as dave said it generally does) it might be that the carbon on the tip of the rubber button(the part that pushes against the circuit board) has worn off. I've read that you can purchase some type of conductive paint for just this case but what I've done in a pinch is to use a tiny piece(cut the about the side of the end of the button) of aluminum tape. You can get in in the HVAC area of most larger lumber yards or probably even hardware stores. The tape is like heat duct tape but is shinny metal(like tin foil) and very sticky on the back, it's used to seal seams on metal duct work. Anyway when it's the actual button that has worn off the tape does the trick, I've never tied the paint since I already have the tape but if purchasing new you may want to give that a try. That is if you can get the remote apart, which is most of the time half or more of the battle. Sometimes it seems as if your going to destroy the remote by taking it apart and most of the time doing such leaves several gouge marks along the side of the remote from where you put the screwdrivers in and try and twist to get it to split apart. If at first it doesn't seem to come apart try moving your screwdrivers to another area along the side of the remote.

post #4 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I typically slide an old credit card all the way around to pop it open, if it isn't glued shut. Conductive paint works, but can cost nearly as much as a new remote. Makes more sense when you have several remotes to repair. I use the foil or tape trick as a last resort. It's usually a temporary fix, as its hard to make it stick and stay put long term.

post #5 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lani View Post

The remote for my old Magnavox combination DVD/HD recorder is getting very difficult to use. The main problem is with the OK button. I have to press it very firmly to get it to select any option on the menu, often 3 or 4 times, and sometimes, it will move to another menu selection and highlight it instead. I've already called Funai, and they don't have a remote available for this older model.

Is there anything I could possibly do to get it to function properly--like opening it up and cleaning it? If so, exactly how should I do this, and what would I need to clean it? If cleaning it is not advisable, would the Philips universal remote model SRP5107/27 work with this Magnavox recorder? Thanks for any help.

You can get one of several new remotes at a reasonable cost.

Click here to go to page 1 of my Sitcky thread, scroll down to Section 11 and see the options for remotes there.

|
|
|
post #6 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. I'm going to experiment with cleaning it, and if that doesn't work, trying the aluminum tape. If I have no success, then I'll get a universal remote. I really appreciate all the info everyone has given me on here!

post #7 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Last time I bought a roll of aluminum tape, it cost more than a universal remote. There are $3 remote options as well, if you are interested.

post #8 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Click here to go to page 1 of my Sitcky thread, scroll down to Section 11 and see the options for remotes there.

Is the Philips 5107 remote still generally available? I stockpiled three but the last time a looked (on amazon, months ago) they were going for more than double the old regular price. I was wondering whether they had been discontinued.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleedlee View Post

Quote:

Is the Philips 5107 remote still generally available? I stockpiled three but the last time a looked (on amazon, months ago) they were going for more than double the old regular price. I was wondering whether they had been discontinued.

Yes, here's the SRU5107 at Amazon, $6.99.

They're also available at Walmart stores... I've seen them at my local storejust recently... so you prob. don't have to order online. You can check your local store stock here.

|
|
|
post #10 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

RCA is better since it can do every function from the original plus discretes with no learning required.

post #11 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes, here's the SRU5107 at Amazon, $6.99.

They're also available at Walmart stores... I've seen them at my local storejust recently... so you prob. don't have to order online. You can check your local store stock here.

My second Philips was an SRU version from an Amazon seller and it turned out to be a refurb repackaged in a clamshell with a Xerox'd manual despite being advertised as new. It had one mildly faulty button but was usable so I kept it and still use it now. Also, it's slightly more complicated to program than the SRP and the tactile feel of the keys is different, though I'm used to it now. That's how i ended up with a 2nd 'fulfilled by Amazon' SRP Philips, for three total counting the original.

I've also checked Walmart's site before (and today) and when I enter local zipcodes I only get an empty pop up box, no results, not even the usual unavailable store listings. That's why I presumed it was discontinued...Figured out the problem with WM's site, it forgot my local store selection, and just plugging in zipcode doesn't seem to work. After choosing a store, availability search seems to work better. Quite a bit more pricey @ $17.96 (amazon: <$11 new,$8 SRU refurb sold as new - all 2012), but at least it's available if I need a fourth. smile.gif

Thanks.
post #12 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Last time I bought a roll of aluminum tape, it cost more than a universal remote. There are $3 remote options as well, if you are interested.

Yes of the OP didn't already have such a roll of AU tape(which can run as high as $10 a roll) it probably wouldn't be worth purchasing a roll for just that use, I myself already had a couple rolls so it basically cost me nothing to fix my mothers Vizio remote the other day, she says it's been working great ever since but like the conductive paint it's not a permanent solution :)

post #13 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to let everyone know that I tried cleaning my remote tonight and SUCCESS!!! Everything works now like it's supposed to--even the pause button. I haven't used PAUSE in so long that I didn't even think about trying it out (I've just gotten used to doing without it). It's so wonderful to have a completely functional remote again, not to mention the money I've saved by not having to purchase a new one.

Also want to mention that I originally asked about the Philips universal remote because when I called Funai (Magnavox) to see if they had replacement remotes for this recorder, that guy said they didn't. They had ones for my other Magnavox DVD/HD recorder (model MDR513H/F7), but not this one. After hanging up with him, I discovered that both recorders use the exact same remote (same remote model number). Upon calling back today, the person I got was more knowledgeable and said they had plenty for the H2160MW9A recorder. Fortunately, I don't need any now, but in case any of you are needing this model, they do indeed have them. Again, thanks everyone for your help.

post #14 of 22 Old 08-25-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lani View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that I tried cleaning my remote tonight and SUCCESS!!!
I'm working on opening the case to my Magnavox 2160 remote so I can clean the connections as described by lani. Did find the correct phillips screwdriver and got the screw to turn a few rotations. Then it stopped and would not budge further. Does the screw have to come completely out, or does it stop rotating when it is sufficiently loosened? Don't want to risk stripping the head.

After that I just use a credit card to pry it open?

Thanks,

Trist

Last edited by Trist; 08-25-2014 at 12:59 PM.
post #15 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trist View Post
I'm working on opening the case to my Magnavox 2160 remote so I can clean the connections as described by lani. Did find the correct phillips screwdriver and got the screw to turn a few rotations. Then it stopped and would not budge further. Does the screw have to come completely out, or does it stop rotating when it is sufficiently loosened? Don't want to risk stripping the head.

After that I just use a credit card to pry it open?

Thanks,

Trist
My stop and play buttons have not worked properly for a couple of years. It would take 15-20 seconds for a response after pressing the buttons. I removed the batteries and screw. Using my finger nails, and a small screwdriver, I separated the case, and removed the circuit board. There was some clear oil, or silicone slime on the contacts, and button pad in the stop, play area. After cleaning, it is now working perfectly again!
post #16 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1rider View Post
My stop and play buttons have not worked properly for a couple of years. It would take 15-20 seconds for a response after pressing the buttons. I removed the batteries and screw. Using my finger nails, and a small screwdriver, I separated the case, and removed the circuit board. There was some clear oil, or silicone slime on the contacts, and button pad in the stop, play area. After cleaning, it is now working perfectly again!
Hi z1rider,

Happy to report that I was able finally to get the screw out and open the case. Swabbed the contacts with rubbing alcohol and wonder of wonder, the remote appears to be working again!

Any idea how long this fix lasts? I hate the remote that Funai is currently manufacturing (they've switched the location of the Display button with the Setup button) and there are very few of the original remotes for this model floating around on e-Bay. So I don't know if I oughtn't to obtain one while one can still find them.

Trist
post #17 of 22 Old 08-27-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Both versions of the original Magnavox DVD/HDD remote (NB820 & NC003) are known to be extremely problematic for a small (but significant) percentage of users. How problematic depends on your usage pattern and blind luck. Most of the complaints I've seen come from heavy users who make constant use of buttons that require multiple presses (commercial advance, etc): their remotes fail very quickly (sometimes within weeks). Of the six people I personally know who own one of these recorders, three have given up entirely on the original remotes: they have replaced them with new ones sourced from Funai multiple times, only to see them fail again and again. (They bought replacements after discovering opening these remotes up to clean or repair is not easy and almost always chews up the sides, plus the repairs don't tend to last very long.)

One of the most useful suggestions wajo ever published here was his recommendation of the Philips SRP5107/27 Universal Learning Remote as a possible replacement for the original remotes. Each person I know who bought one is thrilled with it: compared to the original recorder remotes, the 5107 is indestructible. You can pound on it to your hearts content, and the buttons just keep on working. The only drawback is you do need your original remote to eke out a signal for the Philips to "learn" from: if you have any crucial buttons that are totally, utterly dead then the Philips won't be able to duplicate that function. You could try opening your original remote for cleaning, and see if you can get the problem button to transmit just long enough for the Philips to "learn" it. Or, buy one more replacement remote from Funai and immediately copy all its buttons to the Philips, then store the Philips as a backup until you need it.

If your original remote is totally shot, it might be a better cheaper option to follow mdavej's advice to buy an inexpensive JP1-enabled remote on eBay for a couple bucks, then program it with his list of button codes from the original Magnavox remote. There is no need for your original remote as "learning" source, because the JP1 remotes "learn" by punching code numbers from a list into their keypads. The most easily-available (and cheapest) JP1 remotes are cable company castoffs, which were designed with pretty sturdy button pads (much more durable than the Magnavox pads).

As usual with these toys, YMMV: the majority of Magnavox owners have never experienced a remote failure. If you've had yours for two years and all buttons are still good, it will likely last several years longer. But if you've begun to notice degrading functions, you might want to think ahead and invest in an alternative remote. These generic remotes will take some time to get used to, as the buttons will be in different places and not necessarily labeled correctly. But it beats paying Funai $25 every two months to replace your original.

Last edited by CitiBear; 08-27-2014 at 08:34 AM.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post
One of the most useful suggestions wajo ever published here was his recommendation of the Philips SRP5107/27 Universal Learning Remote as a possible replacement for the original remotes...
Gosh CitiBear, thank you so much for the very helpful advice! Yes, I am guilty of overusing my remotes, probably because I used to do some film editing in a past life. But since I have just successfully brought my current remote back into working order (after cleaning it), I will go out and immediately purchase the Philips SRP5107/27 Universal Learning Remote you cited.

I have two of these machines and both remotes gave out after only two years, so I knew it would continue to be a problem, and I really was not thrilled with the prospect of shelling out $25 each time for replacements from Funai.

I haven't visited the AVS forum in quite a while. It's clear I have some reading to catch up on. But thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Trist
post #19 of 22 Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trist View Post
... I will go out and immediately purchase the Philips SRP5107/27 Universal Learning Remote you cited.
If you get that SRP remote, you might need this help file.

|
|
|
post #20 of 22 Old 08-28-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My experience has been:
Alcohol is a very temp fix if you use the RC daily.
Tried repainting & bake to dry fix ( a button repair kit )......it lasted maybe 2 yrs.
The silver eventually covers the pc board contacts and
it'll eventually lock that button into continuous mode. All other buttons become useless.
Best solution I found so far has been aluminum tape (now about $7)...(use a hole punch for a spiffy round spot),
and a small dab of superglue to attach it to cleaned rubber pad.
This has lasted over 3yrs daily use so far with no problems.
post #21 of 22 Old 08-28-2014, 04:44 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
If you get that SRP remote, you might need this help file.
Wajo, you're a wonder! Don't know what I'd do without those Help files of yours. I did actually find the page you've directed me to yesterday and copied it. Merci mille fois for your invaluable contribution to this forum!

Trist

P.S.: I've read at the bottom of the e-mail notifications I've been receiving that AVS is part of VerticalScope in Toronto. Small world -- I lived in Toronto for a dozen years! Are some of the moderators in this forum from Toronto?
post #22 of 22 Old 08-28-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch7 View Post
My experience has been:
Alcohol is a very temp fix if you use the RC daily.
Tried repainting & bake to dry fix ( a button repair kit )......it lasted maybe 2 yrs.
The silver eventually covers the pc board contacts and
it'll eventually lock that button into continuous mode. All other buttons become useless.
Best solution I found so far has been aluminum tape (now about $7)...(use a hole punch for a spiffy round spot),
and a small dab of superglue to attach it to cleaned rubber pad.
This has lasted over 3yrs daily use so far with no problems.

Sasquatch, thanks for the clarification. When I went to the hardware store the other day and asked about the aluminum tape mentioned in this thread, the guy didn't have a clue how it should be applied. Since I have a total of three Funai remotes, it will be worth the money to invest in this fix. Given how difficult it was to pry open the case, I'd prefer not to have to do it repeatedly.

Trist
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page