Pausing and starting "Autostart Recording" feature on my 2160MW9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-12-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Love my 2160, but one thing I haven't been able to accomplish.  FYI, I pull in only digital OTA channels and really haven't had any problems with the unit. 

So... right now the 49's v. Panthers game just came on and I hit "pause" on the remote immediately. I want to go about my business, get some things done around the house and then come back when I have quit a bit of the game "in the buffer".  I love being able to get things done during the time I would have spent being annoyed by blathering commercials if I were watching things "live". I don't want to watch anything else - just the game starting when I have enough time to skip all commercials. I guess the manual would call this the "Autostart Recording" feature.

If I leave the unit on pause too long it will it will start playing, but not from where I paused it. Drives me nuts.

Can the unit be set up start where I paused it? That would be soooo much better.  I am able to rewind back to where I paused it, but I end up seeing what the score is, which largely defeats the purpose of pausing the game. I haven't found a way to do it.

On a related note, the "Autostart Recording Information" on-screen display that pops up when I hit pause shows all kinds of info. Current time, Autostart starting time, etc.  In the upper-left corner it now shows, "0:00:44  /  0:30:19".  The "0:00:44" does not change.  The second number is counting up.  

Since I have been typing, the second number has now exceeded "0:00:44". What does the "0:00:44" mean? 44 hours of recording available on the hard drive?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-12-2014, 11:25 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post

Love my 2160, but one thing I haven't been able to accomplish.  FYI, I pull in only digital OTA channels and really haven't had any problems with the unit. 

So... right now the 49's v. Panthers game just came on and I hit "pause" on the remote immediately. I want to go about my business, get some things done around the house and then come back when I have quit a bit of the game "in the buffer".  I love being able to get things done during the time I would have spent being annoyed by blathering commercials if I were watching things "live". I don't want to watch anything else - just the game starting when I have enough time to skip all commercials. I guess the manual would call this the "Autostart Recording" feature.

If I leave the unit on pause too long it will it will start playing, but not from where I paused it. Drives me nuts.

Can the unit be set up start where I paused it? That would be soooo much better.  I am able to rewind back to where I paused it, but I end up seeing what the score is, which largely defeats the purpose of pausing the game. I haven't found a way to do it.

On a related note, the "Autostart Recording Information" on-screen display that pops up when I hit pause shows all kinds of info. Current time, Autostart starting time, etc.  In the upper-left corner it now shows, "0:00:44  /  0:30:19".  The "0:00:44" does not change.  The second number is counting up.  

Since I have been typing, the second number has now exceeded "0:00:44". What does the "0:00:44" mean? 44 hours of recording available on the hard drive?

Edited 2/2/14 to correct erroneous info.

I Paused live TV on my 2160 and the freeze frame with Display stayed paused on screen for 1 hr 20 min. I didn't want to wait any longer so I pressed  Replay button, upon which playback resumed at the point I pressed Pause.

I don't know how long the freeze frame would have stayed on screen with Display screen indicators. I might have had Screen Saver off?... have to wait until wife gets through watching something on that machine.

I'll have to see what will happen if I can get the freeze frame to go away or the Screen Saver takes it to a black screen with bouncing "Mag" icon.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-12-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

When you press Pause, then go away for ~20 minutes or so, the machine will release the still frame and go back to Live TV. You should be able to press PLAY and continue from that paused point, as described here.

If you, instead, press Pause or a back/rewind-type button, you'll be taken to the current point in the live TV show, not the pause point and, I believe, lose that pause point since the machine thinks you want to start from the new live TV position.

The double time indicators are left=current position in the buffer, and right=current live TV time being added to the buffer.

Thanks for the reply.  Interesting info on the provided link. Haven't tried pressing play once it resumes. That sounds promising!

FYI, the program remained paused until about and hour, maybe a bit more.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-02-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

When you press Pause, then go away for ~20 minutes or so, the machine will release the still frame and go back to Live TV. You should be able to press PLAY and continue from that paused point, as described here.

This does not appear to be the case with mine.  Once the paused program has been left too long, it jumps to live, as stated before.  At that point, when I press PLAY, the unit starts playing the last recorded title stored on the hard drive.  Any way I can get it to jump back to where I first paused live TV?  Thanks.

post #5 of 6 Old 02-02-2014, 10:02 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post

Quote:

This does not appear to be the case with mine.  Once the paused program has been left too long, it jumps to live, as stated before.  At that point, when I press PLAY, the unit starts playing the last recorded title stored on the hard drive.  Any way I can get it to jump back to where I first paused live TV?  Thanks.

Yikes! :eek: I must have had gas on the brain when I wrote that! I must have been thinking about playing a recording, where pausing could work that way. Sorry for the misdirection.

I believe your situation calls for not relying on the buffer to faithfully "capture" something you want to come back to at some "unknown" time. You'd be better off pressing REC, then returning ANY time later will assure that you've captured the action from the REC point... no worries that you or someone else accidentally wipes the buffer!

After pressing REC, you can Chase Play the recording (just press PLAY) if still undisturbed and ongoing, or find a title on the HDD in case you were absent a long time (12 hours or until someone messes with the machine and stops the recording!).

I'm testing the PLTV feature now on my 2160 to refresh my memory on how to recapture a spot in a buffered recording after the pause frame has gone back to live TV. I think it'll turn out to be a back-moving button or some such.

I'll edit this post, and my erroneous answer in the other post, when I have some facts.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Addendum to my post above on Test with my 2160:

I Paused live TV on my 2160 and the freeze frame with Display stayed paused on screen for 1 hr 20 min. I didn't want to wait any longer so I pressed the Replay button, upon which playback resumed at the point I pressed Pause. I assume any back-moving button would have restarted the buffer playback?

I don't know how long the freeze frame would have stayed on screen with Display screen indicators possibly causing "burn-in"? I might have had Screen Saver off... it would have prevented that... I'll have to wait until wife gets through watching something on that machine to check.

Edit: Nope, had Screen Saver on and set for 1 minute. So, Screen Saver won't prevent the freeze frame and Display from disappearing on my 2160.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page