DMR-ES10 faint display - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-04-2014, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got a used DMR-ES10 (aus model) today primarily to use it for pass through to fix tearing on the top of old VHS. Supposedly this unit fixes that. Anyway it had no remote or manual and only after i won this one a better one came up with remote and manual so i got that second one on the way too. Anyway tonight i fired it up, Thought one of my other newer panny remotes would work but no. I was able to get it to play a DVD though. I noticed that some of the digits on the display on the unit are faint. Is there a quick fix for this or should i not bother? i am fairly good with electronics and soldering. I read other people had this issue too but never saw a solution discussed. Maybe my other unit on the way will be better. I guess its not a real big deal but if its an easy fix i might look into it. Just hope it works some magic on poor tapes like what i have read on many forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-04-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 86

From what I've read the dim display is basically hopeless, caused by air getting into the sealed vacuum display which seemed to mainly effect the '05 Panasonics, which your ES-10 is.

Assuming your receiver isn't defective then any Panasonic remote should work on any Panasonic DVDR, you just may need to change the IR number. Panasonics have 3 different sets of codes, hold the number 1-3 down at the same time as the enter key(middle of the remote) for a minimum of 5 seconds. Holding down the 1 and enter makes it default or the number 1 codes, holding down 2 and enter make it a #2 remote and so on. Newer devices like Panasonic BD players have up to 5 remote codes but DVDRs only go up to 3. To verify remote is working point it at a digital camera and you should see a flash on the LCD screen when you push a button.

post #3 of 3 Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Like jjeff sad, many of the Panasonic DVD recorders using that specific display seem to have the vanishing syndrome. It appears to be due to a manufacturing defect with that fluorescent display compound bulb. It is not as simple as a voltage or connector issue. Either something is leaking out, or leaking in, and THAT is ruining the brightness. I have two devices that have the same issue. Recently someone here posted the actual replacement part number of the display lamp, so if it really bothers you, you could have it replaced, but it does not look trivial. It is listed here...

http://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-dmr-eh60d-repair-details-getting-more-life-out-of-this-ageing-machine.1590722/#post-18272046

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page