AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DVD Recorders (Standard Def) (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dvd-recorders-standard-def/)
-   -   ANTENNA with TV 's that only have and Antenna input (no A/V inputs) users who had to connect a modulator to the Magnavox and disconnect their digital coverter boxes (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dvd-recorders-standard-def/1522475-antenna-tv-s-only-have-antenna-input-no-v-inputs-users-who-had-connect-modulator-magnavox-disconnect-their-digital-coverter-boxes.html)

mag1993daewoo 03-13-2014 11:09 PM

I am hoping this thread will help me and others better understand how to make this all work.  I have an old TV with only UHF/VHF CONNECTION.   So when I bought this Mag 535 I had to do away with my digital converter box and my converter remote that had Volume, Mute, Previous channel and Channel display of next show to be aired.  I never had to use the TV's remote for anything but off and that is not so inconvenient since most people get up to turn off the TV or I could switch to the sTV's remote but that button is not used as much as the others.  Those are used constantly.

Now I have this NEW Mag 535 that cost a lot of money and I am forced to use the remote because it replaces the Digital Converter box and you cannot  connect them both the Modulator and the converter box to the mag vice versa.  So now the Mag is your Digital Converter (Tuner) Box and it has none of the buttons I mentioned in the begining of the post.  And Yet this Mags remote has a Keypad with an alphabet.   I have looked and there are no other learning remotes with an Alphabet keypad  so you can completely change remotes.  except for The dish remote at Walmart for $30.00.  And I do not know if that will work.  No one has been able to answer me completely with a for sure it will work response.  This is the remote I am referring to:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/IR-UHF-DISH-UNIVERSAL-REMOTE/21000304

Other than that the Anntenna Connection to Modulator seams to be working fine. 

At first I had a problem with my erasing all my preset timer recordings because curiosity got the best of me and I went into general settings and switched the Channel>Auto Channel Preset>From Antenna to Cable ( Analog) and let it run and it ERASED all my work  of inputing four pages of movie and names of shows I wanted to record.  So I am glad I found out so I won't do that again.  You can however  re-run the Antenna channel preset as many times as you want if you aren't getting a signal on a channel and it won't erase your Timer Recordings of shows to be recorded.

mag1993daewoo 03-16-2014 07:44 AM

For those who are following I should Receive the Atlas 5 Learning Remote next week I got a price on it through the Walmart Market Place $8.71 free shipping.  Thankyou.  "  "

That dealer did not have the remote afterall.

I purchased the Atlas 5 for $15.73 new on Ebay Model number 1056B01.  mDavesj' post says this one should work.  I think he's the remote man.

mag1993daewoo 03-17-2014 10:36 AM

THE HDD IS A TEMPORARY STORAGE LOCATION; NOT A PERMANANT LOCATION OF RECORDED CONTENTS.  BE SURE TO USE IT AS A TEMPORARY STORAGE LOCATION UNTIL YOU have watched the programs ONCE, edit them, or dub them to DVD.

PAGE 42 of THE OWNERS MANUAL     MAGNAVOX MDR535   HDD & DVD RECORDER with DIGITAL TUNER.

I learned this today something I was unaware of.  Ok It's DVD Time.  What are the best economical DVDS' FOR THIS DEVICE?

DigaDo 03-17-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1993daewoo View Post

THE HDD IS A TEMPORARY STORAGE LOCATION; NOT A PERMANANT LOCATION OF RECORDED CONTENTS.  BE SURE TO USE IT AS A TEMPORARY STORAGE LOCATION UNTIL YOU have watched the programs ONCE, edit them, or dub them to DVD.

PAGE 42 of THE OWNERS MANUAL     MAGNAVOX MDR535   HDD & DVD RECORDER with DIGITAL TUNER.

I learned this today something I was unaware of.  Ok It's DVD Time.  What are the best economical DVDS' FOR THIS DEVICE?

"Economical" (read cheap) DVDs are seldom the best choice.

I use JVC/Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R DVDs in all my Panasonic, Magnavox and other Funai manufactured recorders. There are several online sellers for Taiyo Yuden products. I prefer SuperMediaStore.com because they have free shipping for $50 + purchases:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/jvc-taiyo-yuden-jdmr-zz-sk8-silver-lacquer-8x-dvd-r-media-premium-line-tape-wrap-100pk

The best advice for Magnavox owners is to visit the first post in Wajo's sticky thread, the gateway to a wealth of information:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/0_60#post_12244086

Wajo addresses DVD media in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/0_60#post_12298494

mag1993daewoo 03-17-2014 02:34 PM

http://www.supermediastore.com/cart/show

Are these rewriteable?  Also, I am getting confused by the mags 533,535,537,manual page 67.  Everytime I look there I am still confused about which discs I can use.  It says You can use DVD-R on the left side of the page then on the right side of the page it says in the Unplayable discs area that the DVD-Ram or DVD-R
OM or not playable.

And it says DVD-R and DVD-RW recorded in VR mode or non compatible format.  I think that is when it is recorded by another device and used in the Mag that won't be happening here in this Mag535.

Do those Discs have the logo (DVD video)with a picture of a disc?

You see, I am also getting confused because for my computer I only buy the write that cannot be written over because those are for the operating system if it should crash and are put in a safe place are rarely used again.  But they are very expensive.  Like $12.00 for 5 in a jewel case.  They are Archival Grade DVD-R  and have a proprietary reflective layer system, and 24ct. gold protects the data from corrosion.

That is not the case here for recording movies right?  I want something that is rewriteable, but a good quality, and a lot of them for a good price.

DigaDo 03-17-2014 08:32 PM

As mentioned earlier I use DVD-R media. My use is always for archival purposes so I do not use RW media. I use DVD-R because Panasonic recorders are less friendly with DVD+R versions while Magnavox, Philips and Toshiba recorders are equally friendly with DVD-R media. My archive of home-recorded DVDs now has more than 14,000 DVDs. I usually keep around 2,500 to 3,000 Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R media on hand for use in my stand-alone recorders.

In my opinion retail grade 16x media is satisfactory for use in computers or for duplication, not for use in stand-alone DVD recorders. RW media is unsatisfactory for archival purposes.

mag1993daewoo 03-18-2014 02:51 AM

That is certainly a large collection. Now does only ONE, 2hour Movie fit on 1 disc?  If recorded in the default mode mine is SLP and that is probably what I will be using.  Also,  the other day a really good movie was on TV with special effects like Superman The Movie !978  Big screen.  Something like that I would want the best mode for recording, what mode would that be?

I already recorded that Movie in SLP to HDD and have not edited it yet.

Buy the way, this Mag has the most precise editing I have ever seen, right down to the blank, black frame before the next seen, it gives you the ability to make awesome frame cuts.

Westly-C 03-18-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

That is certainly a large collection. Now does only ONE, 2hour Movie fit on 1 disc?  If recorded in the default mode mine is SLP and that is probably what I will be using.  Also,  the other day a really good movie was on TV with special effects like Superman The Movie !978  Big screen.  Something like that I would want the best mode for recording, what mode would that be?

I already recorded that Movie in SLP to HDD and have not edited it yet.

Buy the way, this Mag has the most precise editing I have ever seen, right down to the blank, black frame before the next seen, it gives you the ability to make awesome frame cuts.

The 2 hour record mode is SP. For anything 2HRS and under, it's best to use SP, especially if you have or are planning to get an HDTV. All recordings-regardless of the rec mode you record a show/movie in, are Standard Definition, so you want the best quality SD recordin you can get.

SPP mode is the 2 1/2hr record mode.

With LP the 3hr mode.

For disposable recordings-watch and erase, you could use SLP-4hr, but the picture quality won't looks as good as the higher modes. And will look terrible when played back on a flatscreen tv.

mag1993daewoo 03-18-2014 11:43 AM

So, let me see if I understand.  The Superman Movie Is 2:11:01 long so I should have recorded it in SPP.  Is that so it will fit on one disc or for quality. Or is it for quality, and will need 2 discs.

mag1993daewoo 03-18-2014 11:55 AM

I have made my decision on Disc's to record movies with.  I use these for my HP and Dell computers  and also for making music CDs for my Sony CD player. I have never had a problem with this brand.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Verbatim-DVD-R-4.7GB-16X-AZO-100pk-Spindle/8207324

I don't know why this link won't work I have tried to fix it, but this is where I am buying these.  They are $20.99 for 100 pk.

Westly-C 03-18-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

So, let me see if I understand.  The Superman Movie Is 2:11:01 long so I should have recorded it in SPP.  Is that so it will fit on one disc or for quality. Or is it for quality, and will need 2 discs.

For a 2 hr 11 min movie with no commercials, using SPP, the 2 and 1/2 hr mode, is best. SPP mode recordings up to 2 1/2 hrs will fit on a single disc, with picture quality closer to SP mode. And can be dubbed to disc in High Speed, rather than doing a Real Time dub, which means the Mag plays back the entire title while dubbing it disc for however long that title runs..in this case, the actual length of the movie.

wajo 03-18-2014 01:49 PM

:D

Methods & Capacities for Dubbing / Recording to DVD

:D 

Super Eye 03-18-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

I have made my decision on Disc's to record movies with.  I use these for my HP and Dell computers  and also for making music CDs for my Sony CD player. I have never had a problem with this brand.

Great choice on using the Verbatim 1x to 16x AZO discs in your stand alone as well as in your PC. I’ve been using them exclusively in my 5-year-old RDR-HX780 stand alone HDD/DVD recorder and my initial burn failure rate is something like 1 out of every 175 discs. My disc longevity rate so far is 100% meaning 0 discs went bad so far. Knock on wood but my 5-year-old stand-alone still hums like a new machine with no noise or slippage.

Many folks think that the Verb 1x to 16x AZO discs are only good for very high speed burners because of the max 16x rating but to the contrary - the Verbatim 1x to 16x AZO discs work really well with aging and/or slow speed burners. In fact if you surf the web you know that a large number of folks swear that the Verb AZO 1x to 16x discs are the best you can get for 1x real time burning.

In my opinion these are the perfect discs for stand-alone recorders, real time or multi-speed. I dread the day they will become discontinued.

mag1993daewoo 03-19-2014 12:43 AM

Another thing I like about them is that  they have a color system that make filing and finding them easier.  Like the PC One's are Orange and the CD one's are Green, and they have Purple also.  I should have went with the purple this time to distinguish between the PC and the Magnavox.  You can choose a color to use for a specific device.  The one I chose for copying  my PC's Recovery Operating System are Actually Gold.

But I decided on  Innovera Jewel Cases at Walmart for $6 for 25 of them so you won't see the orange color on these anyway.  So the Innovera will be for Movies only.

The one Music CD I made on MY PC with Verbatim CD's Green  12X CD-RW;  I have played hundreds of times and it works like day one on my Sony player and it sounds like it was bought it in a music store.   I was able to purchase them at Best Buy.  And of course I had to make sure the Music Download was all good.

Verbatim means Word for Word and I also hope they are never discontinued.

Church AV Guy 03-19-2014 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

Quote:

Great choice on using the Verbatim 1x to 16x AZO discs in your stand alone as well as in your PC. I’ve been using them exclusively in my 5-year-old RDR-HX780 stand alone HDD/DVD recorder and my initial burn failure rate is something like 1 out of every 175 discs.

That's interesting. For years I have been using the T-Y 8x premium, but "recently" Amazon has had the Verb AZO discs at very reasonable prices, and I purchased about 1500 of them. I have gone through at least 500 of them and between a number of Panasonic DMR EH50s and EH55s, I have not had a single burn failure. A few years ago I changed my burn rate from maximum to what Panasonic calls "silent mode". I'm not exactly sure what that is in terms of write speed, but I suspect it's either 4x or 6x. Anyway, I haven't had a single failure with thousands of T-Ys, and now with the Verbs, so I was surprised that you have had a one in 175 failure rate.

I have a DVD duplicator that has a test function, and I run every disk I make through it for "consistency" checking. I haven't had a failure since I changed my high-speed write speed from max to silent. When it was set to maximum, I had about a one in 200 failure rate with the T-Y disks (that's all I ever used back then).

mag1993daewoo 03-19-2014 02:50 AM

I only have 20 of these 10 are the ARCHIVAL GRADE WRITE ONCE for the computer system; the other 10 are for home made Music CDS REWRITE; until the 100 pack get here those will be for movies.  But I have used 5 of the ARCHIVAL GRADE off and on Since 2010 when I bought my First Laptop and they work good and I have had no problem with the other 15 Discs.  I know I don't have a lot, but I do count on the ones I have;  that is why I decided to stay with this brand.  And I have had no failure with the Verbatim.  Even when I go to the store and ask the TECH MAN what Discs should I use for this Device they pick the Verbatim.

mag1993daewoo 03-19-2014 06:20 AM

I just found all the information on Verbatim Discs on The Walmart.com Website under:  Verbatim Discs 100 pack Orange spindle.  $20.99 March 19,2014 at the bottom of the page FROM THE MANUFACTURER it lists in detail all the discs they make and what to use for what devices you may have.

It turns out that the DVD-DL Purple are the recommended disc for VIDEO because it have longer recording time each disc.  However they are double in price.  So I can see now why everyone is buying the 100 pack spindles for 1/2 the price and also why they may be filling up their HDD drives.

I my self have bought the 100 pk of recordable DVD-R Orange; I might have to use more discs but it is economically feasible.

I hope I have made the right decision in buying this Magnavox and that these Discs are going to work out without having to buy the expensive ones.  The DVD-DL Purple is like way to much money to record movies on.   I would use those for movies like Return of the Jedi or something like that, but even then the TV interrupts the movie with what is coming on next at the bottom of the screen.   So I am better off just buying those types of Movies without recording them at all.    I don't know I would record it anyway if I didn't own it on any disc I could.

mag1993daewoo 03-19-2014 06:42 AM

So, You have actually recorded MOVIES on the Verbatim Orange DVD-R Recordeable AZO Disc that I put in the link above.  Because I just ordered some and I was just wondering even though they are not the DVD-DL Purple  or the Blue Ray for recording HD Moives that the Orange DVD-R RECORDEABLE AZO ones are going to be ok?

mhufnagel 03-19-2014 07:31 AM

You just spent $300 on a dvd recorder. Go on craigslist and spend $50 for a TV with composite inputs. You can find newer Sony/Panasonics, that are better than that Daewoo, pretty cheap nowadays. Heck two summers ago I bought a 32" Sony built in 2003 for $25. Great picture for a SD tube tv and even has a s-video input.

mag1993daewoo 03-19-2014 10:55 AM

This Daewoo may only have an antenna input but it is a very good color Television and the only reason I am going to buy another TV is because I know this one is getting to old and will quit one of these days.  I got it for $25.00 in 2009.

mag1993daewoo 03-19-2014 10:59 AM

Ya, but how do you know it is even going to work?

mag1993daewoo 03-19-2014 11:40 AM

Is a Visio Smart TV considered a flat screen or LCD screen aren't they the same?

mhufnagel 03-19-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Ya, but how do you know it is even going to work?
You test the thing before you pay for it. rolleyes.gif

CitiBear 03-19-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

It turns out that the DVD-DL Purple are the recommended disc for VIDEO because it have longer recording time each disc. However they are double in price. So I can see now why everyone is buying the 100 pack spindles for 1/2 the price and also why they may be filling up their HDD drives.

Forget the DVD-DL discs: Magnavox recorders cannot burn them at all. Even the DVD recorders that could burn them had various bugs with DL discs. And DL media has questionable long-term durability. The Magnavox can squeeze nearly 129 mins onto a regular DVD at the standard SP speed, if viewing on a smaller TV like yours you can get away with 4 hours per dvd at the slower recording speeds.

The "orange" label you bought is the good stuff: 16x AZO. And the price of $20.99 is very competitive. Just note that Verbatim changes the design of its packaging now and then so you can't rely on the colors: always look for the "AZO" symbol on the package, and you'll be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

That's interesting. For years I have been using the T-Y 8x premium, but "recently" Amazon has had the Verb AZO discs at very reasonable prices, and I purchased about 1500 of them. I have gone through at least 500 of them and between a number of Panasonic DMR EH50s and EH55s, I have not had a single burn failure.

Verbatim and CMC apparently changed some element of 16x AZO production in 2013, with the result recent batches of retail 16x AZO are back to the broad recorder compatibility rating they had in 2006. Actually the compatibility now is better than it was in 2006: I've heard from people whose recorders would not work with the 2006 discs but do just fine with the 2013/2014. Since those same recorders are now many years older, that is nothing short of amazing. Whatever the company modified, lets hope they lock it in permanently.

The uptick in burn quality can be noticed with PC drives as well. Our office embarked on a massive archiving project in November, burning close to 3200 Verbatim AZO 16x DVD-R over the last couple months. Many were done on older laptop drives, and we haven't had a single burn failure with the recent 16x Verbatims. The 8x JVC/TYs we've been using as redundant copies fared much worse, with a 10% fail rate over 1000 discs. The 8x Verbatim DataLifePlus is holding at its typical 1% or less failure rate.

Quote:

Many folks think that the Verb 1x to 16x AZO discs are only good for very high speed burners because of the max 16x rating but to the contrary - the Verbatim 1x to 16x AZO discs work really well with aging and/or slow speed burners. In fact if you surf the web you know that a large number of folks swear that the Verb AZO 1x to 16x discs are the best you can get for 1x real time burning.

Depends what they're being used in. PC burners, or Panasonic and Magnavox dvd recorders? Absolutely: 100% approval rating. Older dvd/hdd recorders? Much more variable: they had a 50/50 success rate on batches sold between 2007-2013. Owners of Toshiba XS, Pioneer 520/530, Sony HXx25, older Philips and JVCs were not fond of playing Russian Roulette with 16x retail AZO. There's a reason Verbatim soldiered on with 8x DataLifePlus, despite dwindling demand from PC users. Recent batches of 16x AZO made 2013 or later seem remarkably more compatible.

Quote:
In my opinion these are the perfect discs for stand-alone recorders, real time or multi-speed. I dread the day they will become discontinued.

Better you should dread the day the "professional" Verbatim DataLifePlus line gets discontinued, because when that goes, consumer AZO goes, and Verbatim defaults completely to the cut-rate CMC-spec "Life" media. With TY steadily eroding in quality control after the JVC takeover, 8x DataLifePlus is the last slam-dunk guaranteed recorder-compatible DVD-R left.

jjeff 03-19-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Better you should dread the day the "professional" Verbatim DataLifePlus line gets discontinued, because when that goes, consumer AZO goes, and Verbatim defaults completely to the cut-rate CMC-spec "Life" media. With TY steadily eroding in quality control after the JVC takeover, 8x DataLifePlus is the last slam-dunk guaranteed recorder-compatible DVD-R left.

While by far my mainstay discs are Verbatim(16x -R) I do feel the slightly tactile bottom of Ty discs give them a slight advantage for aging(in need of cleaning) DVDRs. I've had cases where a disc(on a Panasonic which are prone to DVD slippage) ground when I put a Verbatim in the tray but was silent as a mouse with a Ty. I believe a downside to this tactileness is the that Tys tend to attract dust more than other discs on the bottom and the top of the lacquer top discs are fingerprint magnets for sure. I believe both brands have their merits but as long as I keep my spindles clean I'll use Verbatims until I start having issues.

Oh and I wholeheartedly agree with your statement about DLs, I avoid them at all costs with my standalones, PC use is another story where I do use them somewhat frequently if I'm forced to, to maintain the quality of the original disc.

mag1993daewoo 03-19-2014 12:55 PM

How can You Test a product before it is mailed to you?

mag1993daewoo 03-19-2014 01:13 PM

Thanks for the confidence Citibear I am happy with my decision.  So your stats says the DLs are not worth purchasing.  That is what I was thinking,  If your going to spend that much you might as well buy the Movie.

And how do you quote like that I tried to quote you but, jefff name showed up in the reply box.

mag1993daewoo 03-19-2014 01:29 PM

You left out EP and HQ what are those for?

mag1993daewoo 03-19-2014 03:43 PM

This Is A good legend of all the Record Modes I saved this to my desktop.  I found it on Wikipedia in Record Modes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ADVD_recorder#Record_modes

Super Eye 03-19-2014 04:44 PM

First of all disregard that wiki XP article. Once again total BS.
Quote:
XP mode on each model totally differs in quality. Panasonics look very nice, at a full resolution of 720 x 480 (using Handbrake to extract), while Magnavox has a resolution of 320 x 240 and extremely blocky
The idiot that wrote that should be hung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

That's interesting. For years I have been using the T-Y 8x premium, but "recently" Amazon has had the Verb AZO discs at very reasonable prices, and I purchased about 1500 of them. I have gone through at least 500 of them and between a number of Panasonic DMR EH50s and EH55s, I have not had a single burn failure. A few years ago I changed my burn rate from maximum to what Panasonic calls "silent mode". I'm not exactly sure what that is in terms of write speed, but I suspect it's either 4x or 6x. Anyway, I haven't had a single failure with thousands of T-Ys, and now with the Verbs, so I was surprised that you have had a one in 175 failure rate.

I have a DVD duplicator that has a test function, and I run every disk I make through it for "consistency" checking. I haven't had a failure since I changed my high-speed write speed from max to silent. When it was set to maximum, I had about a one in 200 failure rate with the T-Y disks (that's all I ever used back then).

I was doing an HSD from the HDD to an AZO disc and about halfway through the dub the OSD progress graph stopped moving. There was no noise coming from the recorder but I suspected that something wasn’t right. About a minute later my recorder stopped the dub and the OSD message said something like “burn failed” I really can’t remember exactly what the message was because this only happened once in the five years I had the recorder. Looking at the disc there was a small round spot of strange colour on the AZO disc. I bet this is the most wear my laser diode ever experienced.

On another occasion the HSD burn seemed to take about two minutes longer than usual. There were no strange noises coming from the recorder. The burn did complete and finalize but upon inspection of the disc I noticed a small area that looked like fog. Even though this disc didn’t officially fail I chucked it and counted it as an initial burn fail.

So far that’s it Luke. Every other AZO I burned went fine. My Sony doesn’t have a “silent mode” which I also suspect is a slower burn speed, but if I did have that option I too would use it.
Quote:

It turns out that the DVD-DL Purple are the recommended disc for VIDEO because it have longer recording time each disc. …I my self have bought the 100 pk of recordable DVD-R Orange; I might have to use more discs but it is economically feasible.

I hope I have made the right decision in buying this Magnavox and that these Discs are going to work out without having to buy the expensive ones.

You made the right decision. Even though my recorder can burn DL discs I don’t use them, I use the same discs you just bought. Just make sure you keep buying the ones marked “AZO”. I don’t use the DL discs for two reasons. 1) I don’t trust the longevity of burnable DL discs. 2) Penetrating to the second layer takes extra laser power.

XP and EP are recording time settings Just like VHS the faster the record speed, the better the quality. I use XP to record 1hr shows and I use SP to record 2hr shows. I think the Magnavox has a 2 and a half hr speed? If so I would not go any longer recording time than that, I would split any longer shows into 2 discs.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Depends what they're being used in. PC burners, or Panasonic and Magnavox dvd recorders? Absolutely: 100% approval rating. Older dvd/hdd recorders? Much more variable: they had a 50/50 success rate on batches sold between 2007-2013. Owners of Toshiba XS, Pioneer 520/530, Sony HXx25, older Philips and JVCs were not fond of playing Russian Roulette with 16x retail AZO.

50/50 success rate??? That’s the first time I heard that and I surf the web a lot.. Like I said I’ve been using these in my stand-alone since 2009 and my 1 out of 175 bad burns is based on mostly pre 2013 discs. My quote above is based mostly from people using pre 2013 discs. Many folks don’t realize that even the super-fast computer burners like 24x PC burners only burn the last few hundred megs of a a disc at 16x speed and that’s only if you fill the disc to capacity.. Most really fast PC burners will start a burn a 6x some at 4x speed.

If I set my PC burner at 16x and dub at high speed a 90-minute movie at SP setting - my PC burner (set at 16x) won’t even come close to burning that movie at 16x. It will start out at 6x then gradually go higher and peak at about 12x if that.

My data regarding folks and sites like digital faq recommending AZO 1x to 16x discs for real-time 1x stand alone burning wasn't written based just on post 2013 discs. Folks with slower and/or aging burners have been recommending Verb AZO 1x to 16x discs for many, many years and still recommend them. That said any modern deck that was designed for DL disc burning (DL discs are laser hogs) should not choke on 1x to 16x AZO discs which are not laser hogs. After all laser power is selected by the burn speed not the max speed tolerance of a disc and AZO dye apparently is easy on the laser.