Charter cable box--Magnavox H2160 MW9, MDR515H - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-25-2014, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been recording Charter, without a box, with the 2160. The 515 has not been used. Would either of these models work with the box, when it is required in a couple of weeks?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-25-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 377
What I'd hoped you'd get from the links I posted was that any recorder will work if your cable box has composite outputs (and they're not copy protected). You may run into the issue with Motorola boxes outputting a postage stamp sized picture, in which case you'll need an alternate solution (component outputs and a converter box).

If you go down to your local Charter office, I'm sure they'd let you take a look at the kind of box you're going to get.

Personally, as I said in the other thread, I think switching to a cable card solution and no cable box is the best solution these days. You can make a fortune selling that EH-55 and EH-75 that would more than cover a used Tivo with lifetime or a PC based solution, each around $300. That way you'd have something that worked in full HD, multi-tuners, and a guide like the old TVGOS again. There's no since in continuing to add more and more layers of complexity to keep this obsolete system working when there are much better, cheaper solutions out there today. If you want to keep DVD burning capability, then keep one of your Pannys for that and connect it to your new Tivo. A PC based solution can burn DVDs without any external burners.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-26-2014, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I have Tivo, and I like it, but I really miss the editing of the Panasonics. I love to add chapter marks, by just pressing a button, as I watch a film. I can then delete chapters, commercials, rename the title, etc. With the Tivo, you have to transfer everything to a computer, before you can do anything. If the Tivo had the editing of the Panasonic, I would never use a Panasonic for recording again.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-26-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90

Then do as I do, record everything to the Tivo(of course except DVDs or things like VHS tapes) then play the Tivo and record in realtime to my EH-55. Edit the title on the Panasonic and finally HS burn to DVD. Using S-video the quality is actually better than if I had first recorded to the Panasonic and with OTR or FR I don't even have to be around when playing the Tivo, the DVDR will shut off and the Tivo will stop playing when the title is over.

I really never record TV direct to my Panasonic, everything is first recorded to my Tivo which is much easier to program and extremely reliable. I like you like to edit on my Panasonics so I have the best of both worlds doing it the way I do.

post #5 of 11 Old 03-26-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta View Post

Thanks for the info. I have Tivo, and I like it, but I really miss the editing of the Panasonics. I love to add chapter marks, by just pressing a button, as I watch a film. I can then delete chapters, commercials, rename the title, etc. With the Tivo, you have to transfer everything to a computer, before you can do anything. If the Tivo had the editing of the Panasonic, I would never use a Panasonic for recording again.
Or do as I do and ditch the cable box and Panasonic and do everything on a PC. All you need is a cable card tuner like the Ceton InfiniTV 4 or Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime. Then you have all your subscribed channels in full HD, 3-4 simultaneous tuners, and automatic commercial stripping (no effort whatsoever on your part). Convert to MP4 and do further editing to your heart's content. Plus you don't have to pay cable box fees. I highly recommend it. Selling those Panasonics and Tivo will pay for all of your new equipment and then some. You'll even have enough to set up a whole home DVR system. I have 5 TVs, all running independently and sharing all recordings by having a Ceton Echo at each. Xbox works for that purpose too, if you have any of those. I'm also saving about $45/month in DVR and box fees. My initial equipment costs were recovered in the first 2 years.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

...Then you have all your subscribed channels in full HD, 3-4 simultaneous tuners, and automatic commercial stripping (no effort whatsoever on your part)...
  • Have you ever owned a ReplayTV with Commercial Advance? (Just for a point of comparison)
  • What software do you use to strip the commercials?
  • Does it ever make a mistake?
  • Can you manually rewind over the mistake or is the material deleted?
    - It's my understanding that ReplayTVs insert 'markers' and if for example a man wearing a dark suit blocks the entire screen and triggers a false commercial, I can just temporarily disable Commercial Advance and rewind to view the missed material.
  • Does it create a second 'Commercial Free' file, while keeping the original? If so, are these files also .WTV or are they something else?
Thanks! smile.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #7 of 11 Old 03-27-2014, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there a remote control that you can use like a TV remote to play back stuff on your PC, and use it like a TV? I can't seem to fast forward through movies on my PC, like I do wth a TV remote and dvds, tivo, etc. that are hooked up to my TV.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-27-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

• Have you ever owned a ReplayTV with Commercial Advance? (Just for a point of comparison)
  • What software do you use to strip the commercials?
  • Does it ever make a mistake?
  • Can you manually rewind over the mistake or is the material deleted?
    - It's my understanding that ReplayTVs insert 'markers' and if for example a man wearing a dark suit blocks the entire screen and triggers a false commercial, I can just temporarily disable Commercial Advance and rewind to view the missed material.
  • Does it create a second 'Commercial Free' file, while keeping the original? If so, are these files also .WTV or are they something else?
Thanks! smile.gif
I don't really have much experience with the commercial skipping software, just throwing that out there as a labor saving option.

I've never had a Replay, but I assume my old Dish Hopper worked about the same way. It was pretty much 100% accurate.

I tried MCEBuddy a few years ago. It was fairly accurate. It made copies of each file, and the one it modified essentially had markers. But you couldn't go back and watch what it marked unless you opened the original file. I ultimately decided I didn't mind skipping manually, so I quit using it. That, and the fact that I prefer to keep things simple.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-27-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta View Post

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there a remote control that you can use like a TV remote to play back stuff on your PC, and use it like a TV? I can't seem to fast forward through movies on my PC, like I do with a TV remote and dvds, tivo, etc. that are hooked up to my TV.
I just use the same universal remotes I've been using for years. It works so well, my wife still thinks we have Dish. You can use the remotes that come with your MCE IR dongle as well, of course, but I've never done that.

Maybe the program you use to watch movies on your PC simply isn't remote friendly. WMC works perfectly for me. I can do several speeds of ffwd/rew, skips, jump directly to specific times, and go frame by frame, pretty much the same as a disc player works. For the few video formats that WMC can't handle, Daum can play. It works fine with a remote too. You can even fully customize exactly what remote button does what. Do you have an MCE IR dongle? Some work better than others. The really cheap Chinese ones aren't so good ($7 or less, typically). But genuine MCE and Ortek work quite well ($12 and up).

I will say that watching videos on other devices via DLNA is not a smooth experience. I rarely do that, but when I do, it's a crap shoot whether something will freeze or search properly. If I stick to WMC and extenders, it works fine. Then again, the only DLNA devices I have are Sony BD players which really aren't up to the task. A dedicated streaming device would probably work a lot better.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-29-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again. Would the Mag. H2160 or the MDR 515H work better with the Charter cable box? This would be for video that I am not going to keep or edit.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-30-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Nothing works well with Charter cable boxes. I used to do nearly 10 years ago what you're trying to do now. Nothing has changed in that time. The problem lies in the cable box. My ultimate solution back then was to get satellite. Now I'm back with Charter and use a PC. I could have gotten an HDMI to composite converter I suppose, but that would have just been an expensive band aid.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
Gear in this thread - H2160 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page