Panasonic DRM E85H - mysterious "Title X" - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-12-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Panny DVR threw me an interesting curve this morning. I made a long recording over the weekend and started to divide it into shorter titles for editing. (Yeah, I know -- that was my first mistake....)

The first two "divides" worked just fine, but after editing them, I noticed that there was way more time showing as free on the HDD than there should have been. It should have been about 35 minutes, but was showing at over 2 hours remaining. Meanwhile, the long main part of the last title, which hadn't been edited yet, showed the correct recording length, the original recording time minus the 30 or so minutes I'd deleted.

Then, after marking and deleting some unwanted chapters in the second-to-last title, the last title is now showing as an "x" where the title number should be, and "--/--" where the recording date should be. That title is also now unplayable.

I've tried doing a restart/self-check and it boots up as expected, but this last title is still showing as bad. Any ideas what could have caused it? Is there anything else I can do to try to restore/recover it before I try to delete it? I'm guessing it's toast, but I thought I'd check here and see if anyone else had experienced this.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-12-2014, 04:03 PM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 146

I don't have your Panny but I have had some experience with an "X" file that can't be deleted after editing with the HDD quite full... mine were just blank w/ no visible title info.

I found that doing lots of editing on a HDD, esp. when it starts getting full, can result in some odd behavior, which I attribute to fragmented files... titles fragmented in empty spaces on a pretty full HDD, which then get added edit instructions, causing a brain hemorage in the OS.

I had two of those or so and remember one that happened after editing. I tried several times and several ways to Delete it, with no success. I turned the machine off and told by wife/cfo about it. She fired up the machine and deleted it immediately, with no problem whatsoever.

I suspect you might not be able to delete your "X" title as well, much less play it. If all else fails, let your S.O. or one of your kids try! :) 

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-12-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 87

Heavy sigh....I miss my Panasonic E85H, died over 5 years ago....Good times. Sniffle, sniffle. ;)

It's been a very long time since actively using the E85, but this sounds like a case where your 3rd part of this very long, single session recording, was copy protected, while the first parts weren't. Any editing or dividing triggers this 'X' scenario. As a newly separated and/or edited title, the 85 'sees' the protection signal, marked it as either copy once or play once, treats it as if you already have, won't allow you to play it again, or dub to disc, and automatically blanks it out with the 'X'.

When the digital transistion occuried, I bought a Panasonic EZ47 & 48 for the digital tuners. I connected one to the E85 and would record the digital channels to the hdd. This would sometimes happen if an incorrect copy protection signal was included in a program that wasn't CP-ed. Randomly, recordings made on the other unit to RAM discs, I would dub it to the 85's HDD, only to see the 'X' in the title lineup after trying to dub to DVD-R after editing.

You can delete it, it's not a hdd failure or disk problem.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #4 of 9 Old 05-12-2014, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Huh, interesting about the copy protection. I've never seen that before. I wouldn't be surprised if fragmentation was part of the problem too. I've done more than a little editing on this machine.

Well, the good news is, no S.O. or kids were needed to erase the bad title. smile.gif It quite happily removed itself when asked nicely.

Westly, I hear ya about your attachment to your old E85H. I've been very lucky to get many years of good service from this one and I only wish there was something still being made that was at all similar. I might wind up having to go with a European unit when this one can no longer be repaired, but I'm not looking forward to that day. I read somewhere that the European models use a different kind of signal to change channels that isn't compatible with US cable boxes and that would be a definite downside.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-12-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 87

The European Panny hard drive models come with PAL tuners which aren't compatible in the US. You can still connect a cable box/DVR with composite outputs to one in order to record with it though.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-12-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have had this happen to my E85, and near as I could tell, it was the result of disk fragmentation. After that incident, where I lost some recorded content, I switched all my editing to playlists and never had that problem again. this is what I have used since, and what I recommend.

If your file structure has been damaged by too much editing on a nearly full HDD, the only thing I can recommend is painful. frown.gif Using -RAM disks or whatever you have, get all the content off the HDD and reformat it. eek.gif Yeah, I know, painful. Sorry...

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 9 Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

On the European unit, the issue isn't the tuner. Near as I can tell from the EH69 manual, the European unit doesn't seem to have anything like an IR blaster to change the channel on the cable box for unattended recording. Making a recording shouldn't be a problem if I'm there to set the cable box to the right channel sometime before the recording starts, but if I want it to record several shows across different channels while I'm away for a few days, I think I might be out of luck. Granted, there's less reason to do that these days with so many programs available online or via on-demand. But I'd still like to have the option.

I probably will have to reformat the disk at some point. Like you said, painful! Undoubtedly why I've been avoiding it for so long!
post #8 of 9 Old 05-13-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryQue View Post

On the European unit, the issue isn't the tuner. Near as I can tell from the EH69 manual, the European unit doesn't seem to have anything like an IR blaster to change the channel on the cable box for unattended recording....

That is correct, for a IR blaster you'd need a N. American model. The international DVDRs also have a slight issue with black level(ever so slightly light) but many don't seem to notice or or bothered by this.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryQue View Post

On the European unit, the issue isn't the tuner. Near as I can tell from the EH69 manual, the European unit doesn't seem to have anything like an IR blaster to change the channel on the cable box for unattended recording. Making a recording shouldn't be a problem if I'm there to set the cable box to the right channel sometime before the recording starts, but if I want it to record several shows across different channels while I'm away for a few days, I think I might be out of luck. Granted, there's less reason to do that these days with so many programs available online or via on-demand. But I'd still like to have the option.

I probably will have to reformat the disk at some point. Like you said, painful! Undoubtedly why I've been avoiding it for so long!

Many cable boxes have the ability to be programmed, so you could put matching programs in your cable box, and your E85 (or EH59/69) and that would work. It's a bit clumsy, but I have used that method many times over the years. If your cable box does not have that feature, perhaps your cable company has one that does have that capability and you could swap your current one for the one with that feature.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)