Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gastrof

post #1 of 6 Old 06-10-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, have a Magnovox DVR MDR533h/F7, when I load a DVD that was made in 5.4 my TV shows it in wide or stretched format and it looks bad. My TV will only stretch a 5.4 like an old show to a 16.9 but it wont do it the other way.

I really think its a setting on the DVR but I can't find what to do? some DVD player have certain ways to set things up but on my DVR/DVD player I can't find anything.

All the channels on the tuner of the DVR display the same way the TV does except for one of the sub channels, 56.3, kind of strange.

I don't think there is anything I can do with my aspect ratio while watching the older DVD's but does anyone have a suggestion?

I bought this product mainly for recording newer TV show's and am very happy with it.

The DVD part of it is a bonus but I never really thought much about it since it kind of loads the discs slow.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-10-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

For details, here's the help file on aspect, but you can probably get the right combination of settings between your Mag and your TV.

(Huddler has to "play" with complex links for awhile, so be patient until the page resolves on its own... don't try scrolling before that.)

The Mag has a Video > TV Aspect that changes what aspect the Mag sees and records, and your TV has aspect settings that you can coordinate with your Mag and its recordings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What in the world is the 5.4 aspect ratio, and what TV stations/networks are broadcasting in that format?
billmich likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-16-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I know what you're asking so I'll try to answer based on assumptions I'll make. I think what you're saying is that whenever you load a DVD that has a 4:3 aspect ratio (i.e. an old TV show or old movie) you're recorder is stretching the video to fill your 16:9 screen and distorting the picture. I'll further assume that you have your recorder hooked up via HDMI to your TV. If all this is true and your recorder is like my Toshiba DR430 then that's just the way the recorder plays back 4:3 video when it's upscaling to a 1080p or 720p picture. See if your remote has an HDMI button and use it to lower the resolution to 480p then it'll play back a 4:3 DVD without stretching it to 16:9. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-16-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshaver76 View Post
I think I know what you're asking so I'll try to answer based on assumptions I'll make. I think what you're saying is that whenever you load a DVD that has a 4:3 aspect ratio (i.e. an old TV show or old movie) you're recorder is stretching the video to fill your 16:9 screen and distorting the picture. I'll further assume that you have your recorder hooked up via HDMI to your TV. If all this is true and your recorder is like my Toshiba DR430 then that's just the way the recorder plays back 4:3 video when it's upscaling to a 1080p or 720p picture. See if your remote has an HDMI button and use it to lower the resolution to 480p then it'll play back a 4:3 DVD without stretching it to 16:9. Hope this helps.
Just wanted to thank you very much, I do have a hdmi button on the remote, no idea what the heck it was for but now i know. I hit the button while playing the dvd (3rd rock from the sun) and it went to the 4:3 format and looked fine.

Also the DVR seems to want to stretch some of the old TV shows so I will try this out next time.

Thank you very much for helping out.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You're welcome. I'm glad it worked.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page