Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 57 Old 06-26-2014, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question I got a new HDTV, now what?

Hoooooowdy!(Sorry, but I just couldn't imagine starting this thread in any other way.) Hello there AVS DVDRSD forum! It's been a long time.

But I recently just purchased my first HDTV and I would like to know what would be the best route in replacing my archaic, old fashioned, standard definition Magnavox H2080MW8?

Also, as some of you may know, the images from a standard definition HDD DVR looks terrible on a HDTV. Or at least it does mine. Therefore, what would be some options in replacing my Maggie HDD DVR? Plus, I wanted to know if I'm posting in the correct forum for this.

Now I know that Maggy has a couple of high definition HDD DVRs.(Which I understand that this is the last year that they're making these.) However, I also know that there are other DVR options such TiVO. Therefore, folks, whatever you know....let me have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 06-26-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is it not possible to keep them both? Computer plugs into HDTV as does DVR. DVR also plugs into 15?year old Toshiba 4X3, so sometimes I'm watching older shows on it while enjoying my 70" computer monitor.

It is crowded a bit though...
post #3 of 57 Old 06-26-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
There isn't much out there thats simple, records in HDTV quality, and isn't a subscription-based device. You might want to try setting your Magnavox 2080 hard drive to record at the fastest HQ (or XP) speed: this is watchable for most people on a 32 or 42 inch screen.

If you want a standalone, TV-dedicated box similar to your Magnavox DVR (but with true HDTV recording quality), there are only two primary alternatives: the CM-7500 recorder for off-air-antenna, or TiVO which can work with off-air or cable service. Neither has built-in disc burning.

The CM-7500 is less expensive, since it has no upfront or monthly guide service fees. But it is limited to off-air signals (can't be used with cable or satellite service). Discussion of it can be found towards the end of the main AVS Channel Master DVR thread (here). The CM-7500 is a little funky to operate and has glitches here and there, but overall seems a great choice if you use an antenna to receive TV.

TiVo, of course, is the premium TV recording box. The higher cost gets you a better on-screen timer guide with many convenience features, plus ability to install a CableCard decoder to make it compatible with your cable service. Some TiVo models can network to your PC to transfer recordings (so you can store them on external HDDs or make DVDs or BluRays). TiVo is either cheap upfront with monthly guide fees, or expensive upfront if purchased with lifetime service (no monthly fees).

The choice really comes down to whether you have cable service or not. If not, look at the CM7500.
post #4 of 57 Old 06-26-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Are you OTA or cable? If OTA then a CM DVR+(dual tuner replacement for the 7500 CB mentioned) might be a good option, add a USB HDD and your good to go. It uses a PSIP or internet guide thats not as polished or flexible as a Tivo but it's ~ 1/3rd the cost and of a no monthly fee Tivo(which has 4 not 2 tuners).
Another option is the single tuner Magnavox DVR, it only uses PSIP and is currently a bit cheaper than the CM DVR+ but includes a 500 GB built in HDD. The cheapest option would be the little quirky iView 3500(or very similar Homeworx) for ~$40 for the unit and another $50?? for any 500 GB USB HDD(can use up to a 1TB I believe). This option is a bit quirky but records in full HD and only uses PSIP or start/stop times for events.
There you have it, ~$700 for a full featured very reliable 4 tuner Tivo, $250 + USB HDD for a dual tuner CM DVR+ that uses PSIP or internet guide, $200 for a 500 GB single tuner Magnavox that uses PSIP or start/stop times or $40 + USB HDD for the single tuner PSIP and start/stop time iView/Homeworx models. Oh the iView cannot record one event while playing back a already recorded event, although it can chaseplay the event your recording. The iView records to the HDD in a standard format easily playable on any Windows PC, not so for the CM or Magnavox and the Tivo can be networked to a PC for offloading.
post #5 of 57 Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I assume you posted your question from a computer, right? Now just get a Ceton or Silicon Dust tuner, plug it in, and use Windows Media Center (free guide, free DVR) as you full HD DVR. Plug directly into your TV and operate with a remote, or get a used Xbox or Ceton Echo and use that to stream live and recorded TV to any TV in your house. Tuner runs about $100 on ebay as does a used Xbox or new Echo. Works just as well as Tivo and pretty seamless too. Works with cable card just like Tivo, so you get all your subscribed channels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 57 Old 06-29-2014, 11:25 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon665 View Post
Is it not possible to keep them both? Computer plugs into HDTV as does DVR. DVR also plugs into 15?year old Toshiba 4X3, so sometimes I'm watching older shows on it while enjoying my 70" computer monitor.

It is crowded a bit though...
Hi. This is AudeoandVidio and my account got hacked along with the email account that I used for this account. Therefore, you now have AudeoandVidio.2.

But to answer your question, Demon665...well, first of all, what is a Toshiba 4X3? Also, what do you mean by "older shows"? Plus a 70'' computer monitor? Mm-hm. So, are you pulling my leg or diabolically messin' with my head?
post #7 of 57 Old 06-29-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post
There isn't much out there thats simple, records in HDTV quality, and isn't a subscription-based device. You might want to try setting your Magnavox 2080 hard drive to record at the fastest HQ (or XP) speed: this is watchable for most people on a 32 or 42 inch screen.
But I have a 46 inch screen. Also, I tried that, but it still doesn't look that great, especially compared to the crisp, clean images from my HDTV. Plus, I plan to get cable again(without the box) and since my Maggy is standard def, it won't be able to pick up all of the stations that an HDTV can.

Quote:
If you want a standalone, TV-dedicated box similar to your Magnavox DVR (but with true HDTV recording quality), there are only two primary alternatives: the CM-7500 recorder for off-air-antenna, or TiVO which can work with off-air or cable service. Neither has built-in disc burning.
Well, lately, I really haven't burnt any discs in a long time, therefore, that has become less of an issue for me. Also, off the top of your head, do you or anyone else know how much TiVO service cost?

Quote:
The CM-7500 is less expensive, since it has no upfront or monthly guide service fees. But it is limited to off-air signals (can't be used with cable or satellite service). Discussion of it can be found towards the end of the main AVS Channel Master DVR thread (here). The CM-7500 is a little funky to operate and has glitches here and there, but overall seems a great choice if you use an antenna to receive TV.
Well, I do now, but as I have mentioned, I will eventually be switching back to cable. Also, I just clicked on your link, and are you talking about that thing that costs $249.99? It's a DVR for air antennae reception? Do you know how stable of a picture it has?

Quote:
TiVo, of course, is the premium TV recording box. The higher cost gets you a better on-screen timer guide with many convenience features, plus ability to install a CableCard decoder to make it compatible with your cable service. Some TiVo models can network to your PC to transfer recordings (so you can store them on external HDDs or make DVDs or BluRays). TiVo is either cheap upfront with monthly guide fees, or expensive upfront if purchased with lifetime service (no monthly fees).

The choice really comes down to whether you have cable service or not. If not, look at the CM7500.
Well, also I wanted to mention that I have a Smart TV and I was recently talking to someone who has cable and a Smart TV and they told me that they mainly watch Netflix through their Smart TV. Well, I didn't ask this person this, but if Netflix is that intriguing, does it feature anything else besides movies and original programming(i.e. Netflix television series, etc.)?

Last edited by AudeoandVidio.2; 06-29-2014 at 11:56 PM.
post #8 of 57 Old 06-30-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Are you OTA or cable? If OTA then a CM DVR+(dual tuner replacement for the 7500 CB mentioned) might be a good option, add a USB HDD and your good to go. It uses a PSIP or internet guide thats not as polished or flexible as a Tivo but it's ~ 1/3rd the cost and of a no monthly fee Tivo(which has 4 not 2 tuners).
Well, I'm OTA, but plan to get cable(such as a lower level cable or even basic cable), however, I wanted to ask you want is the significance of a dual or more tuner? Does that mean that they can record more than one station at a time(which I've become interested in lately)? Also, I must admit that I like idea that the CM DVR+ is 1/3 the cost of TiVO and has no monthly fee.

Quote:
Another option is the single tuner Magnavox DVR, it only uses PSIP and is currently a bit cheaper than the CM DVR+ but includes a 500 GB built in HDD.
Is that one of the two high defs that Walmart sells or is that one a standard def? Also, what exactly is PSIP?

Quote:
The cheapest option would be the little quirky iView 3500(or very similar Homeworx) for ~$40 for the unit and another $50?? for any 500 GB USB HDD(can use up to a 1TB I believe). This option is a bit quirky but records in full HD and only uses PSIP or start/stop times for events.
What do you mean by: it's a bit quirky? Also, do you have any links to either one of those devices?

Quote:
There you have it, ~$700 for a full featured very reliable 4 tuner Tivo, $250 + USB HDD for a dual tuner CM DVR+ that uses PSIP or internet guide, $200 for a 500 GB single tuner Magnavox that uses PSIP or start/stop times or $40 + USB HDD for the single tuner PSIP and start/stop time iView/Homeworx models. Oh the iView cannot record one event while playing back a already recorded event, although it can chaseplay the event your recording.
Well, that doesn't sound good.

Quote:
The iView records to the HDD in a standard format easily playable on any Windows PC, not so for the CM or Magnavox and the Tivo can be networked to a PC for offloading.
The iView records in a standard format? Is that the same as standard definition? Also, what exactly is offloading?
post #9 of 57 Old 06-30-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I assume you posted your question from a computer, right? Now just get a Ceton or Silicon Dust tuner, plug it in, and use Windows Media Center (free guide, free DVR) as you full HD DVR. Plug directly into your TV and operate with a remote, or get a used Xbox or Ceton Echo and use that to stream live and recorded TV to any TV in your house. Tuner runs about $100 on ebay as does a used Xbox or new Echo. Works just as well as Tivo and pretty seamless too. Works with cable card just like Tivo, so you get all your subscribed channels.
Okay, I'm going to have to learn more about a Ceton or Silicon Dust tuner, but are you saying that Windows Media Center can function as a free full HD DVR? Also, I have a Smart TV(where I haven't utilized the 'smart' part of it yet), therefore, don't Smart TVs do some of the same things that an Xbox can do? Plus, could you elaborate a little bit more about a cable card?
post #10 of 57 Old 06-30-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
You might want to try setting your Magnavox 2080 hard drive to record at the fastest HQ (or XP) speed...
I forgot to mention that the 'old timer' that I have only records up to 80 GB, which gets used up really fast at the highest speed.
post #11 of 57 Old 06-30-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudeoandVidio.2 View Post
Well, I'm OTA, but plan to get cable(such as a lower level cable or even basic cable), however, I wanted to ask you want is the significance of a dual or more tuner? Does that mean that they can record more than one station at a time(which I've become interested in lately)? Also, I must admit that I like idea that the CM DVR+ is 1/3 the cost of TiVO and has no monthly fee.
Of the ones I talked about Tivo is really the only one that works reliably with cable, nothing with the CM on cable and the iView is very problematic to say the least. Other than Tivo the Magnavox would probably be the best for "basic" clear QAM cable, although clear QAM is basically dead or will be for the most part very shortly. If your planning on cable they you'll need something with a cable card, Tivo or build a HTPC(home theater PC).

Quote:
Is that one of the two high defs that Walmart sells or is that one a standard def? Also, what exactly is PSIP?
Yes, it's high def and PSIP is the very limited guide(12hrs to a few days) that individual TV stations send out, it's not known to be very accurate but all we have for a free OTA guide in the US.

Quote:
What do you mean by: it's a bit quirky? Also, do you have any links to either one of those devices?
Yes I have a couple of the iViews, I only use it to supplement my Tivo, it's very cheap but it's picture quality is basically as broadcast. It's major limitation other than just one tuner is you cannot play back a prerecorded title while also recording a new one. Quirky meaning for what ever reason it doesn't always record as it should, it probably works 95% of the time but if you need closer to 100% then look elsewhere, the iView is cheap and as so isn't always reliable.

Quote:
The iView records in a standard format? Is that the same as standard definition? Also, what exactly is offloading?
It records in the same format HDTV is broadcast in, which is MPEG2. It's easily playable in a PC that plays HD MPEG2, it's not a odd format like the CM or Magnavox. Offloading is also called archiving which means saving something for future use so you can free up space for new recordings.

This is probably the most complete chart on various DVRs and I believe has info on all the models I mentioned. Like all charts written by people on AVS it may be a little biased one way or the other but it's a good start.
2014 list of consumer available DVR's

Last edited by jjeff; 06-30-2014 at 05:11 AM.
post #12 of 57 Old 06-30-2014, 07:44 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Hi. This is AudeoandVidio and my account got hacked along with the email account that I used for this account. Therefore, you now have AudeoandVidio.2.

But to answer your question, Demon665...well, first of all, what is a Toshiba 4X3? Also, what do you mean by "older shows"? Plus a 70'' computer monitor? Mm-hm. So, are you pulling my leg or diabolically messin' with my head?
Well, I am a bit diabolical... My old TV set was an analog Toshiba. I bought it just as 16x9 HDTVs were hitting the market and I went for size at the time. By older shows, whether it's "Perry Mason" or something shot as late as the first 54? episodes of "Naruto Shippuden" (late 2000s) that were in the 4x3 format, watching them stretched out to fill the screen just doesn't work sometimes. And right now, with my computer connected to my 70" Vizio, I'm actually looking at it as I type instead of my 24" Samsung monitor, so in essense, it's a 70" computer monitor. But as I'm viewing it, I've got the old Toshiba on tuned to news. And I can watch the DVR on both depending on needs.
post #13 of 57 Old 06-30-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
A 46" HDTV starts bumping up against the limit of being tolerable for watching standard-def recordings, so I can understand why even at HQ/XP you are no longer happy with your old Magnavox 2080.

Before doing anything else, I'd suggest you try a much newer Magnavox with built-in digital tuner and larger hard drive. You can get the MDR533 from WalMart website for about $230: this has a modern 16:9 tuner more compatible with HDTV screens, and a 320GB hard drive. The recording quality of the standard-def 16:9 off-air tuner at HQ/XP is satisfactory for most people in the 42"-46" range, but of course it depends on the TV model and your eyes. The Magnavox 533 has HDMI with several settings, one of which usually looks decent on larger screens. If you can live with this option, it is relatively cheap, self-contained and still allows recording/playback of DVDs.

OTOH the newer Magnavox, like any other DVD recorder, is quickly being outmoded by cable companies. If you are seriously entertaining the idea of cable, forget any DVD recorder: the tuners are becoming useless for anything but shopping networks and ABC, CBS, NBC (if you're lucky). The TV itself likely has a more clever cable tuner that might pull in a few more stations than a DVD recorder, but overall most people are running into problems unless they cave and accept using a decoder box. Check who your local cable monopoly is: if ComCast or Time Warner, you can forget using any recorder but a TiVo (unless you enjoy daily frustration).

"No decoder box" cable service isn't going to be an option much longer: the cablecos finally found a loophole allowing them to force boxes on everyone. If your favorite channels move to a box requirement, you can only record them in low definition to a DVD recorder (with thick black borders around a reduced picture size). Recording in full HDTV quality requires the cable company PVR, or a TiVo with CableCard installed, or a PC-based recorder with CableCard. (CableCard is just a miniature decoder box that fits in a slot inside the TiVo or PC).

The CM7500 aka DVR+, the Magnavox HDTV recorder at WalMart, and the cheap little iView device will all record full HDTV from an antenna. If you can get the channels you like from an antenna, forget cable and buy one of these. You will save a lot of money. Recording HDTV from cable means spending at least $80/mo for a package that includes their PVR. Or, spending $200 for TiVo plus $19.95/mo for their service (unless you go for a TiVo lifetime package, $800 upfront with no monthly fees). A PC-based recorder will cost whatever, plus $2-$4/mo for the CableCard rental fee. Using you PC is nifty if thats your thing, not so nifty for other family members unless they're equally geeky.

"Multiple tuners" means you can record multiple shows or movies that are on at the same time on opposing channels. The off-air boxes usually have two tuners, the cable company PVR generally has three or four, and TiVO can go up to eight or more (as can PC-PVRs).

Re NetFlix: yes, they are slowly taking over the world. Many MANY people have dropped cable in favor of a roof antenna + NetFlix subscription. NetFlix has a huge library of older and recent movies/TV shows plus an increasing number of original series. The "gotcha" with NetFlix is you still need a really good internet connection to enjoy it, and who provides internet service for most Americans? Yep: a cable company. Getting really good internet service from cable is like pulling teeth, esp ComCast which does everything in its considerable power to thwart NetFlix users. Like everything else, NetFlix is somewhat of a compromise that works GREAT for some people and not so hot for others. Someone in your neighborhood must have it: ask to see how it works for them. If you like it, you can probably get the same level of functionality. But if you see problems with it at your neighbors, you will have the same problems. Note recording NetFlix is a whole other can of worms.

Last edited by CitiBear; 06-30-2014 at 09:02 AM.
post #14 of 57 Old 06-30-2014, 09:53 AM

Liked: 12
My 42" LG Smartv was the same for me last year.
The Mag 535 looked bad.NETFLIX and Amazon Prime looked great.
Jan.2014
A couple of AT&T reps tried to sell me U400 , I settled on the U200 cable deal.
So back to Black-Bar TV and poorer PQ. They say their HD is really good.
I'm not buying that.
I clicked on HD channel 11 here,its a 1080 channel OTA.
I didn't know what was on...........The Hockey game was Stunning!!
Full Frame HDTV.
Watch 'em put the Kings victory on BD in BBTV!!

I still use my 535.I think 24 LAD looks better from the Magnavox MDR 535 than from
my DVR.
The DVR is provided by AT&T.
It says CISCO on it not sure of the manufacturer.
90% chance it's CHINA.

Mark
post #15 of 57 Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay, I'm going to have to learn more about a Ceton or Silicon Dust tuner, but are you saying that Windows Media Center can function as a free full HD DVR?
Yes
Quote:
Also, I have a Smart TV(where I haven't utilized the 'smart' part of it yet), therefore, don't Smart TVs do some of the same things that an Xbox can do?
Sure. But Xbox or Echo give you live and recorded TV from Media Center. That's impossible or at least awkward on a smart TV.
Quote:
Plus, could you elaborate a little bit more about a cable card?
Cable card allows you to get encrypted cable on your own device, like TiVo, Ceton or silicon dust. Mine costs $2/month. On other providers they may be a little more or a little less. TiVo would not be able to exist without cable card. The number of channels you can get without a card is shrinking fast on all providers. I personally wouldn't spend any money on a non cable card solution at this point.

Last edited by mdavej; 06-30-2014 at 01:07 PM.
post #16 of 57 Old 08-05-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Of the ones I talked about Tivo is really the only one that works reliably with cable, nothing with the CM on cable and the iView is very problematic to say the least. Other than Tivo the Magnavox would probably be the best for "basic" clear QAM cable, although clear QAM is basically dead or will be for the most part very shortly. If your planning on cable they you'll need something with a cable card, Tivo or build a HTPC(home theater PC).
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a similar situation that the Original Poster has. We recently purchased a 50 inch smart tv, but also own a Magnavox HDD standard definition recorder. But what do you mean about QAM being basically dead and will be for the most part very shortly? So are you saying that purchasing a high definition Magnavox HDD recorder isn't really a good investment in the long run?

Quote:
This is probably the most complete chart on various DVRs and I believe has info on all the models I mentioned. Like all charts written by people on AVS it may be a little biased one way or the other but it's a good start.
2014 list of consumer available DVR's
Thanks. That looks like it might be helpful.
post #17 of 57 Old 08-05-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Before doing anything else, I'd suggest you try a much newer Magnavox with built-in digital tuner and larger hard drive. You can get the MDR533 from WalMart website for about $230: this has a modern 16:9 tuner more compatible with HDTV screens, and a 320GB hard drive. The recording quality of the standard-def 16:9 off-air tuner at HQ/XP is satisfactory for most people in the 42"-46" range, but of course it depends on the TV model and your eyes. The Magnavox 533 has HDMI with several settings, one of which usually looks decent on larger screens. If you can live with this option, it is relatively cheap, self-contained and still allows recording/playback of DVDs.
Sorry for butting in, but about what jjeff said about QAM cable being basically dead or will be for the most part very shortly? We have standard cable(without the box). Is that what QAM cable is?

Quote:
OTOH the newer Magnavox, like any other DVD recorder, is quickly being outmoded by cable companies. If you are seriously entertaining the idea of cable, forget any DVD recorder: the tuners are becoming useless for anything but shopping networks and ABC, CBS, NBC (if you're lucky). The TV itself likely has a more clever cable tuner that might pull in a few more stations than a DVD recorder, but overall most people are running into problems unless they cave and accept using a decoder box. Check who your local cable monopoly is: if ComCast or Time Warner, you can forget using any recorder but a TiVo (unless you enjoy daily frustration).
Well, that did answer a lot of my questions. However, we were thinking about doing what some of our friends are doing, and that is to downgrade to basic cable for a clear picture and then using our smart tv's apps and signing up for services such as Neflix. With a situation like that, would a new high definition Magnavox HDD recorder be suitable for that?

Quote:
"No decoder box" cable service isn't going to be an option much longer: the cablecos finally found a loophole allowing them to force boxes on everyone. If your favorite channels move to a box requirement, you can only record them in low definition to a DVD recorder (with thick black borders around a reduced picture size). Recording in full HDTV quality requires the cable company PVR, or a TiVo with CableCard installed, or a PC-based recorder with CableCard. (CableCard is just a miniature decoder box that fits in a slot inside the TiVo or PC).
Well, that answers even more of my questions. So in other words, we can't even downgrade to basic cable and use a new high definition Magnavox HDD recorder to record network television in high definition while also being able to get more of a variety of movies and original tv shows with Neflix? Also, what is cable company PVR?
post #18 of 57 Old 08-05-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_A View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a similar situation that the Original Poster has. We recently purchased a 50 inch smart tv, but also own a Magnavox HDD standard definition recorder. But what do you mean about QAM being basically dead and will be for the most part very shortly? So are you saying that purchasing a high definition Magnavox HDD recorder isn't really a good investment in the long run?
Clear QAM is quickly disappearing in most areas, without a cable card, devices like the Magnavox will only be able to record from the line output of a STB or DVR. Whether the Magnavox or any DVDR is a good investment for cable in this case is totally up to the user. For me I still frequently use my DVDRs but only for offloading my DVR for things I want to archive or save permanently. I also use them to record from other line output devices such as a VCR or another DVD player. If your only use for a Magnavox(or any DVDR) is for timeshifting cable then I'd think the loss of clear QAM would seriously reduce it's usefulness. It would still work quite well for OTA recordings though.
A PVR is another term for DVR, Digital Video Recorder and boxless cable can either be analog(channel 2, 3, 4, etc.) or digital(2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.) cable companies are eliminating both older analog and clear QAM in most areas. My area has no analogs left and last I checked no clear QAM either

Last edited by jjeff; 08-05-2014 at 04:02 PM.
post #19 of 57 Old 08-05-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
The CM7500 aka DVR+, the Magnavox HDTV recorder at WalMart, and the cheap little iView device will all record full HDTV from an antenna. If you can get the channels you like from an antenna, forget cable and buy one of these.
Now that's starting to sound more appealing.

Quote:
You will save a lot of money. Recording HDTV from cable means spending at least $80/mo for a package that includes their PVR.
Okay, a PVR sounds like cable's version of a DVR.

Quote:
Or, spending $200 for TiVo plus $19.95/mo for their service (unless you go for a TiVo lifetime package, $800 upfront with no monthly fees). A PC-based recorder will cost whatever, plus $2-$4/mo for the CableCard rental fee. Using you PC is nifty if thats your thing, not so nifty for other family members unless they're equally geeky.
I've noticed that people seem to like to spend lots of money of cable... and that the cable companies love getting their money. Also, no one here is all that geeky, therefore, there would be a lot of learning involved in using the PC to record tv in high definition.

Quote:
"Multiple tuners" means you can record multiple shows or movies that are on at the same time on opposing channels. The off-air boxes usually have two tuners, the cable company PVR generally has three or four, and TiVO can go up to eight or more (as can PC-PVRs).
What do you mean by the off-air boxes?

Quote:
Re NetFlix: yes, they are slowly taking over the world. Many MANY people have dropped cable in favor of a roof antenna + NetFlix subscription. NetFlix has a huge library of older and recent movies/TV shows plus an increasing number of original series. The "gotcha" with NetFlix is you still need a really good internet connection to enjoy it, and who provides internet service for most Americans? Yep: a cable company. Getting really good internet service from cable is like pulling teeth, esp ComCast which does everything in its considerable power to thwart NetFlix users. Like everything else, NetFlix is somewhat of a compromise that works GREAT for some people and not so hot for others. Someone in your neighborhood must have it: ask to see how it works for them. If you like it, you can probably get the same level of functionality. But if you see problems with it at your neighbors, you will have the same problems.
Thanks, will do.

Quote:
Note recording NetFlix is a whole other can of worms.
Ohhhh! Although, like the old saying goes: You can't have everything.
post #20 of 57 Old 08-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
What do you mean by the off-air boxes?
From the context, I think the intent was to say "over-the-air" as in receiving the signal from an antenna. (When I was growing up, "off air" meant the signal or show wasn't being broadcasted, and "on the air" meant the signal or show was being broadcasted. E.g., "We are on the air!" means the show is currently being broadcasted.)

I have a HD DVR that I am renting from Comcast, my local cable provider, and it has two tuners in it, so the box can be recording two channels at the same time (and any viewing I do would be of something I had previously recorded or am currently recording), or the box could be recording one channel while I watch another channel.

Some DVRs from a pay provider (cable or satellite) have more than two tuners, and likewise some models of Tivo and some PC-DVRs can handle 6 or 8 channels at once.

(DVR = Digital Video Recorder, meaning it records a signal digitally onto a hard drive. PVR = Private Video Recorder, which is the same thing as a DVR. The "HD" I mention for the "HD DVR" that I am renting just means that the box receives and records High Definition channels as well as Standard Definition channels.)

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #21 of 57 Old 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Clear QAM is quickly disappearing in most areas, without a cable card, devices like the Magnavox will only be able to record from the line output of a STB or DVR. Whether the Magnavox or any DVDR is a good investment for cable in this case is totally up to the user. For me I still frequently use my DVDRs but only for offloading my DVR for things I want to archive or save permanently. I also use them to record from other line output devices such as a VCR or another DVD player. If your only use for a Magnavox(or any DVDR) is for timeshifting cable then I'd think the loss of clear QAM would seriously reduce it's usefulness. It would still work quite well for OTA recordings though.
A PVR is another term for DVR, Digital Video Recorder and boxless cable can either be analog(channel 2, 3, 4, etc.) or digital(2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.) cable companies are eliminating both older analog and clear QAM in most areas. My area has no analogs left and last I checked no clear QAM either
Hi, jjeff. I'm just now seeing your post where you snuck it in a few minutes before my 11:03PM post. But would a high def Magnavox be useful if you only had basic cable(the lowest level with the major networks for a clear stable picture and a few other channels), which would have a cable connected directly to your high def Magnavox from the wall? Would that set up provide the high def Magnavox with high def images in the same way that having the cable directly connected to an HDTV provides that HDTV with high def images?
post #22 of 57 Old 08-15-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
From the context, I think the intent was to say "over-the-air" as in receiving the signal from an antenna. (When I was growing up, "off air" meant the signal or show wasn't being broadcasted, and "on the air" meant the signal or show was being broadcasted. E.g., "We are on the air!" means the show is currently being broadcasted.)

I have a HD DVR that I am renting from Comcast, my local cable provider, and it has two tuners in it, so the box can be recording two channels at the same time (and any viewing I do would be of something I had previously recorded or am currently recording), or the box could be recording one channel while I watch another channel.

Some DVRs from a pay provider (cable or satellite) have more than two tuners, and likewise some models of Tivo and some PC-DVRs can handle 6 or 8 channels at once.

(DVR = Digital Video Recorder, meaning it records a signal digitally onto a hard drive. PVR = Private Video Recorder, which is the same thing as a DVR. The "HD" I mention for the "HD DVR" that I am renting just means that the box receives and records High Definition channels as well as Standard Definition channels.)
Thanks, Mark. Also, those multi-tuner DVRs sure do sound attractive where we might end up going that route and get a higher level of cable.
post #23 of 57 Old 08-15-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi, jjeff. I'm just now seeing your post where you snuck it in a few minutes before my 11:03PM post. But would a high def Magnavox be useful if you only had basic cable(the lowest level with the major networks for a clear stable picture and a few other channels), which would have a cable connected directly to your high def Magnavox from the wall? Would that set up provide the high def Magnavox with high def images in the same way that having the cable directly connected to an HDTV provides that HDTV with high def images?
Yes, the HD Magnavox should tune and record whatever your HDTV will tune. Of course no guarantee your cable company will continue to provide the "clear QAM" channels but for now is should work for you.
post #24 of 57 Old 08-15-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, the HD Magnavox should tune and record whatever your HDTV will tune. Of course no guarantee your cable company will continue to provide the "clear QAM" channels but for now is should work for you.
Thanks, jjeff. Also, I'm still not exactly sure what 'clear QAM' means and how the cable companies are providing that.
post #25 of 57 Old 08-15-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_QAM
AKA not scrambled digital channels.
post #26 of 57 Old 08-15-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
But would a high def Magnavox be useful if you only had basic cable
Quote:
Yes, the HD Magnavox should tune and record whatever your HDTV will tune.
???
What hi def magnavox?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #27 of 57 Old 08-16-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
???
What hi def magnavox?
Your right, hi def Philips. I tend to think of Philips and Magnavox the same as in the US they are both under Funai but I guess not anymore??

Last edited by jjeff; 08-16-2014 at 06:47 AM.
post #28 of 57 Old 08-16-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok then what hi def Philips (what model exactly)? This is the first I've heard of such a thing. Up to now, all DVD/HDD recorders have been standard def.

My iView is the only subscription free, clear QAM, hi def, stand-alone recorder I know of. For scrambled cable, my 6 tuner Ceton does a fantastic job, and is also hi def and subscription free of course. TiVo is another option, but pricey.

If the OP is looking to replace his cable DVR, Philips/Magnavox isn't an option for hi def or scrambled cable, unless you use it like a VCR (record what you're watching, 1 program at a time, using timers and being limited to low def).
post #29 of 57 Old 08-16-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Philips HD DVR.

|
|
|
post #30 of 57 Old 08-16-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Sweet. I can't believe I missed that. Doesn't seem $200 better than my iView though. Maybe I can find a cheap one on eBay to play with.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page