Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
How does this work?

Last night i recorded a movie with a running time of 153 min.
I recorded it in the SPP mode.After i HSD the movie to disc,there was still 27 min.left on the disc according to the DVDR.Obviously i didn't believe there could be that much time left.Maybe a coupla mins.but certainly no more than that.
To test how much actual space was left i recorded a 24 min.episode of The Twilight zone(SPP mode),then HSD that to the same disc,and still have 8xx mins.left on the disc!
I uploaded this pic.so you can see,(looking in the top right corner) that the correct record mode was selected(SPP),NOT LP.
(Click on attachment).
How the heck is it possible to record 177 mins.of content in the SPP mode(to disc) and STILL have 8xx mins.left??

PS:The disc is a standard Verbatim 8x azo disc.

Last edited by greaser; 07-10-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
What model do you have... whatever it is, keep it because it's doing the impossible!

All other models can fit 166 min. on a DVD using HSD, as shown here.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-27-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
What model do you have... whatever it is, keep it because it's doing the impossible!

All other models can fit 166 min. on a DVD using HSD, as shown here.
It's a Mag.533.I know it's not supposed to be possible,that's why i started this thread.But i have a disc showing the impossible.
177 min.w/8xx mins.remaining,all recorded in the SPP mode on the same disc.If ya want,i'll post a pic.of the recorded disc with the 2 titles and remaining time showing (i haven't finalized the disc yet).This ain't no joke or mistake on my part.
I know those figures look like what you'd expect from the LP record mode,but i've already shown in the attachment that the movie is recorded in SPP.I can also post a pic.of the record mode for the TZ recording,which was also recorded in the SPP mode.

Last edited by greaser; 06-27-2014 at 03:22 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-28-2014, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are two more pics.One shows the running time of the 24 min.recording in SPP as shown in the upper right corner of the pic.,the other shows both titles recorded in SPP on the same disc .Yes that's right,even though it's not supposed to be possible,both titles were recorded in SPP on the same disc with a combined total run time of 177 mins.
How did this occur??

Last edited by greaser; 07-10-2014 at 12:05 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-28-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Only explanation I can think of is in how titles are generated. If you don't customize the title, the rec mode remains part of that title throughout your recording/dubbing process so, for example only, you can have a title recorded in SPP that you convert to LP, but the title will retain the SPP in the title.

This is described in "Notes on DVD Titling" in this help file (scroll down).

You can also inadvertently change your DEFAULT rec mode by doing a RTD in a different rec mode than your current default mode. That will change your DEFAULT rec mode to the mode you did the RTD in, and you won't realize that unless you check in advance of any future recordings done without menus (where you can select a specific rec mode).

Last edited by wajo; 06-28-2014 at 07:02 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Only explanation I can think of is in how titles are generated. If you don't customize the title, the rec mode remains part of that title throughout your recording/dubbing process so, for example only, you can have a title recorded in SPP that you convert to LP, but the title will retain the SPP in the title.

This is described in "Notes on DVD Titling" in this help file (scroll down).

You can also inadvertently change your DEFAULT rec mode by doing a RTD in a different rec mode than your current default mode. That will change your DEFAULT rec mode to the mode you did the RTD in, and you won't realize that unless you check in advance of any future recordings done without menus (where you can select a specific rec mode).
Wajo i'm not sure i understand everything you're saying but i didn't do any conversions,RTD,or anything else.These recordings were done the usual straight-forward way.
Get ready to record,set the record mode(in this case SPP),hit the Record button and record to the HDD.When done i title the recording then HSD to disc.A very straight-forward deal.I didn't change a thing in my recording method,but this is the first time i've ever seen anything like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well then, you do have a "miracle machine."

Why don't you test it with a RTR on a NEW blank disc... set rec mode for SPP, select any channel, then press REC and wait until the DVD is filled up and it stops recording. Check time on DVD. Or if your source is L1, set that source for any channel and record live TV that way.

It has to be live TV to remove any "outside" influence(s).

Last edited by wajo; 06-28-2014 at 07:21 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-28-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That recording is definitely an oddity.Yesterday i tried to reproduce what happened Thurs.night but couldn't.
The most i was able to HSD onto a disc in SPP mode was 165 min.w/2m.06s remaining.
If i do a RTR today my feeling is that i'll probably end up with a very normal recording time.
I'd just like to know how what happened on Thurs.happened at all.I know it wasn't due to any conversion process that i'm aware of,nor a RTD.I Always record to the HDD,then HSD to disc.I was absolutely shocked when the 24 min.TZ ep. actually HSD'd to disc.I never thought i'd be able to do that.I thought i'd see one of the lower record modes highlighted because i already had 153 mins.on the disc.There was no way another 24 min.could be added in SPP,but it happened anyway.

Last edited by greaser; 06-28-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page