Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-04-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AV Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SSD in a Magnavox 5xx series

I was wondering if anyone has tried installing a SSD into a Magnavox 515/535 - I happen to have a spare 256GB SATA SSD lying around and I thought that it would make for a neat experiment.

I know that SSDs have a lower write life to their NAND devices than a traditional magnetic HDD, and over time, that may be an issue, but I wonder if it would make any difference in access speeds, etc. Anything worthwhile, anyway.

Also, since I do a lot of editing with the Magnavox - the only quick way of doing it I have found, is the supplied NC003 remote - I am familiar with the button layout, and I can zap commercials from a 30-minute sitcom in about 3.5-4 minutes! - I was just wondering if someone has found a remote with slightly larger buttons and a better button layout - if there is something that you all use for editing that you prefer, please do let me know.

Thanks,

-Nick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-04-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Here's a universal remote available at Walmart that works well with these recorders.

Here;s some info on SSDs and recent endurance stats to disprove the "old news" that they don't last as long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 4 Old 07-04-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AV Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Walmart remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Here's a universal remote available at Walmart that works well with these recorders.

Here;s some info on SSDs and recent endurance stats to disprove the "old news" that they don't last as long.
Thanks for the links, wajo -- the thing is, the remote from Walmart does not have the 'SKIP' and 'REPLAY' buttons right next to the FF/REW buttons - one of the reasons why I like the NC003 is because I can blast through a show and edit/delete using just my thumb and it is easy to use because the most used buttons are right next to each other.

I bought a BOSE programmable universal remote ($30) because I liked the button feel, and I also use a URC R-50 for general use, but for a quick edit with soft-touch controls, you really can't beat the factory supplied NC003 - so far. The BOSE programmable remote has a great key feel and feedback, but still, it takes both hands to control quick stop-starts, etc. The URC also has a good key feel, but the IR processor is very latent and requires almost a 0.5 second wait before each key press.
If there is a better remote -- that has a somewhat similar key layout as the NC003, then that would be preferable.

I have set the MDRs to a 1-minute skip forward and a 30-second skip backward, so that makes it easy to go through commercial breaks and delete marked points.

Thanks for the links,
-Nick

post #4 of 4 Old 07-04-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_515 View Post
Thanks for the links, wajo -- the thing is, the remote from Walmart does not have the 'SKIP' and 'REPLAY' buttons right next to the FF/REW buttons - one of the reasons why I like the NC003 is because I can blast through a show and edit/delete using just my thumb and it is easy to use because the most used buttons are right next to each other.

I bought a BOSE programmable universal remote ($30) because I liked the button feel, and I also use a URC R-50 for general use, but for a quick edit with soft-touch controls, you really can't beat the factory supplied NC003 - so far. The BOSE programmable remote has a great key feel and feedback, but still, it takes both hands to control quick stop-starts, etc. The URC also has a good key feel, but the IR processor is very latent and requires almost a 0.5 second wait before each key press.
If there is a better remote -- that has a somewhat similar key layout as the NC003, then that would be preferable.

I have set the MDRs to a 1-minute skip forward and a 30-second skip backward, so that makes it easy to go through commercial breaks and delete marked points.
If a new user reads my Learning explanation, the large green buttons on top left and top right of the 2nd circle, around the PLAY button, can be taught the Skip and Replay functions. Then, the bottom-most left and bottom-most right buttons can be taught the NEXT and PREV (Chapter Skip) functions.

I have a list in that help file for everything a new user needs to do to make that remote eminently workable for these Mag recorders.

|
|
|
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
magnavox515

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page