Closed Caption does not work with DMR-EZ48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Closed Caption does not work with DMR-EZ48

When I was without the Panasonic (out for repair*) I ran S-Video from my Dish box to the TV. The Closed Captions worked! CC never had worked before when I had the Panasonic in between. I'm running HDMI to connect the Panasonic and the TV.

So here's the question.... do you think the CC would work if I ran S-Video (and not HDMI) from the Panasonic to the TV?

Ya I know I could buy another S-Video cable and try it BUT if any of you know the answer this might save me a trip to buy another cable.

Thank you.

Paul

*Speaking of REPAIR... if you need help contact mickinct here on the forum. Great repair, great communications and fast service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruez View Post
.... do you think the CC would work if I ran S-Video (and not HDMI) from the Panasonic to the TV?

Ya I know I could buy another S-Video cable and try it BUT if any of you know the answer this might save me a trip to buy another cable.
I believe that is correct, AFAIK HDMI and Component won't carry CC but S-video and composite will. The CC is making it to your EZ-48v but not making it from the EZ-48v to your TV because of the HDMI connection.
Wajo has lots of info on CC in his Magnavox master thread, go to the first page and he has a table of contents, I'm sure CC is one of the things he covers.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-11-2014, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruez View Post
When I was without the Panasonic (out for repair*) I ran S-Video from my Dish box to the TV. The Closed Captions worked! CC never had worked before when I had the Panasonic in between. I'm running HDMI to connect the Panasonic and the TV.

So here's the question.... do you think the CC would work if I ran S-Video (and not HDMI) from the Panasonic to the TV?

Thank you.

Paul

*Speaking of REPAIR... if you need help contact mickinct here on the forum. Great repair, great communications and fast service.

I can confirm what jjeff said. The CC info is not imbedded in the HDMI (digital) signal from your EZ48, but it IS in the composite and S-Video signals. I don't have an EZ48, but you MIGHT be able to turn on closed captioning in it, then the CLOSED captioning will become OPEN captioning and will be visible in the picture area. Page 63 of the EZ48 manual has information on controlling closed captioning.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #4 of 5 Old 07-11-2014, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I can confirm what jjeff said. The CC info is not imbedded in the HDMI (digital) signal from your EZ48, but it IS in the composite and S-Video signals. I don't have an EZ48, but you MIGHT be able to turn on closed captioning in it, then the CLOSED captioning will become OPEN captioning and will be visible in the picture area. Page 63 of the EZ48 manual has information on controlling closed captioning.
Thanks guys... I'll pick up another S-Video cable and report back. Should work!

Appreciate it.

Paul
post #5 of 5 Old 07-20-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

S-Video & CC AOK

Thanks again for your comments... the S-Video as opposed to the HDMI has the CC working just fine.
... only issue now is when the typist hits the wrong keys and CC starts looking like a morph between Russian and Greek, etc!

At least it works when it works and that's great - Thanks again.

ps... is anyone knowledgeable about how to transfer video from a Dish to a ATT-Uverse box?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
closed caption or cc , mickinct , panasonic repair

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page