Panasonic DMR EH-59 - increasing HDD size - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-10-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Panasonic DMR EH-59 - increasing HDD size

i did a search on this topic, actually on the panasonic EH-59 in general and could find nothing but i suspect it has been discussed or explored by some.

will the EH-59 allow replacement of the hard drive with a higher capacity drive? or is it only programmed to recognize 250 GB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
It is hardwired in it's firmware to no more than 250GB, could be smaller but not larger. The EH-69 is a bit larger(320GB) but I've never heard of anyone flashing a EH-59 with a EH-69 firmware, may be able to be done but I've never heard of it.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-10-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 13
thanks - had a suspicion that'd be the case. Wonder if someone like Logic Design could be entirced to rewriting the software code to allow larger HDDs
post #4 of 4 Old 07-11-2014, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
jjeff is correct in that the firmware in the EH59 will only recognize 250GB of HDD space. You can feel free to put in a bigger one, but it will only format to 250 GB. He is incorrect about the smaller drive comment. Everyone I have ever known with a Panasonic HDD DVD recorder who tried to put in a HDD drive with less capacity than the one that the recorder originally came with, got a drive failure notification. The power-up self test fails.

So far, no one has been able to decompile and change the drive size in the firmware of one of these machines. The EH75 has an 80 GB HDD, and there were a lot of people with those who were trying to get THAT expanded--no luck.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
Gear in this thread - EH-59 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page