Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Magnavox mdr533h/f7 issues - screen too wide on HDMI 1080p

Hello,

I recently purchased one of the units. Pretty happy with the quality and performance so far, but have had an issue when I switch to 1080p mode. It seems TV gets stretched to the whole size of the screen on 4:3 too wide, and it does not crop at all on 16:9 which ends up also being too wide.

I am not sure if this is a settings issue, but I noticed I am not getting HD channels that should be HD. I have regular cable and I should be getting Fox and Comedy Central as HD. I realize the recorder will downscale this, which is fine, but I am thinking I am only getting standard def, which is responsible for the problem above.

What should I be doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-15-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Here's a help file on aspect that might help explain what's happening and what to do about it?

Basically, try all 4 HDMI format settings on the Mag, combined with all the settings of your HDTV. Sometimes, 1 1080p setting is not the best for some TVs, and 480p sometimes works better for both 4:3 and 16:9... experiment.

Last edited by wajo; 07-15-2014 at 08:09 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-15-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Many HDTVs make automatic assumptions that any HDMI input of 1080 must be anamorphic 16:9 format, and will force 4:3 and letterboxed videos into a wrongly stretched frame. If your TV does this, your only option is to drop the Magnavox HDMI setting to 480 as wajo suggested. Some TVs will accept 720 without distortion, but many will force stretch that as well. The 480 setting is the only HDMI output guaranteed to display 4:3 and letterboxed videos properly.

As far as your cable goes, cable is the curse of all DVD recorder owners: you could spend hours and days combing thru thousands of posts here from people complaining they can't tune cable on their DVD recorder as nicely as they can on their TV. For whatever reason, recorder tuners are far more flaky and picky than most TV tuners, so you are almost certain to have different performance when viewing thru the recorder.

Your TV tuner will usually group the SD and HD versions of channels and subchannels together in some sensible fashion, while DVD recorders will very often work on the level of "Comedy Central SD comes in on gibberish channel 101.6 while Comedy Central HD comes in on gibberish channel 71.3, neither of which are remotely similar to the channel numbers the cable company says they're on." Some brands like Magnavox further distinguish between analog and digital versions of each channel: you may need to do some careful hunting with your remote on both bands using the Digi/Ana button until you track down all your favorites. When you find them, write down the channel numbers the Magnavox tunes them with.

Last edited by CitiBear; 07-15-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page