Sony RDR-HX750/Pioneer DVR-550 Help Needed ASAP - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony RDR-HX750/Pioneer DVR-550 Help Needed ASAP

Hi there guys

I've extremely at my wits end here.

I've been working on this issue for 4 days now, and I've gotten nowhere.

I have a Sony RDR-HX750, which has been sitting around, gathering dust, due to a lack of a remote control.

After I finally got a remote sorted, I attempted to, and was partially successful in upgrading the HDD, via service disk, and the service remote controller.

The only issue I had, was that when I wiped the device ID, when I reentered the one that was there before, (started with 20008), it said ID NG.

So I modified the original Device key, to something that looked right. Changed it to something like 002082414, and once I had gone through the ID disk, it said rom write okay.

Once it was all done, I can play DVDs, and everything works, but my HDMI port isn't working, and I've been working day in, and day out to try and fix it, to no avail.

Here's some photo of the info, and issues I'm facing. (using AV out, all is fine, but I want HDMI for this model.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-17 16.00.09.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	165753

Name:	2014-07-17 16.02.43.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	165761

Name:	2014-07-17 16.04.24.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	165769

I live in New Zealand, and my device is an Australian model, and I've tried upgrading the firmware, with both Sony, and Pioneer firmware, on each occasion, I get "DISK DWNLD" on my indicator, the briefly "DOWNLOAD 1", then the unit spits the disk out, reinserts it, then gets "POWER OFF", and then nothing, I've tried so many times, with so many different ID numbers, and I'm starting to give up.

Maybe, the firmware issues is, because I'm installing foregin firmware, on my Australian reigon machine.

If there was any way to change the region firmware to UK, or even Europe, I would at the earliest opportunity.
I don't give a damn about loosing Tuner record abilites, as Analogue is dead on this side of the world, and all my recording is coming from an IPTV box connected to my LINE 1 input.

So please, how do I fix this issue?
One last thing to note, the Device ID (Usually on the back of the unit) is nowhere to be seen.
I've gutted the unit, then reassembled it, hoping that it would be somewhere inside, but it's not.
I still have access to the original drive, and would there be any way of attaching it to a PC, and using some kind of software, to try and recover the ID numbers?

hanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	165777  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Over the years that I've been repairing these Pioneer/Sony machines and following such topics, this little "change the ID trick" has consistently proven a 50/50 all-or-nothing gamble: either you get lucky, and it takes perfectly, or you get unlucky, resulting in a dysfunctional doorstop (or as in your case, a semi-usable unit with some disabled features).

Some Sony and Pioneer models had no restrictions and could be upgraded to any random HDD size. Some could be upgraded by simply snipping a resistor. Others were armed to the teeth with firmware interlocks to prevent it. Of those, some were easily fooled by the "virtual model ID" trick, while others would punish you for it with varying degrees of failure. Unpredictable even within the same model run: for every person who successfully upgraded their RDR-HX750, two others bricked it. Restoring such a unit back to normal afterward generally meant a trip to the factory service center and a rather large repair fee.

This AVS recorder forum is populated mostly by North American members who typically had limited access to the many Sony DVD/HDD models popular in Europe/Aus/NZ. Even fewer have experience with this "ID hack" (which operates somewhat differently between the Pioneers and the Sonys). You will have much greater chance of someone being able to help you at the Euro-centric AVforums: see this link. Try PMing some of the Sony experts there: they may have a solution to your HDMI issue. Good luck!

Last edited by CitiBear; 07-17-2014 at 06:30 PM.