Frustrated with Panasonic DMR EZ48VK - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-18-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Frustrated with Panasonic DMR EZ48VK

My Sony RDR-GX7 DVD Recorder I had for eleven years suddenly stopped working. Any blank disc I loaded (including Sony) stated "Unreadable, load another disc". Contacted Sony Reps and they suggested a variety of possibilities but none worked. To repair, cost $250 (excluding shipping). Didn't make sense for something eleven years old and becoming obsolete. However needed a dvd recorder to convert a bunch of old family VHS tapes to DVD for my mom. Decided to buy another DVD Recorder. Surfing the internet, I found a used Panasonic DMR-EZ48Vk. From everything I read and its simplicity to convert VHS to DVD it seemed perfect for my needs. I found this from a reputable internet dealer so I bought it.

It arrived today and I've spent all day trying to get it to work. With the Sony recorder I was getting the Sony screen and setup information visible on my TV, it just wouldn’t record any blank discs. I left the Sony hooked up until the Panasonic arrived. Left the RF, Video Out and Component Out connectors in place so I could easily exchange and connect the Panasonic. Thought this would be a simple swap - Wrong. For whatever reasons, I can't get the Panasonic DVR Set Up screen to appear on my TV screen. Without it, I can't set-up anything. To make matters worse, a lot of the set-up functions requires the remote. Getting an error message that the remote control and the main unit are using different codes, can't change the code without visible TV screen. Tried working with the main unit but no luck. Unfortunately, the main unit only shows Cable TV mode. I need to access Antenna TV Mode. Seems I can't do it without a visible TV screen and workable remote. If I could someway access the Antenna Mode, this might solve my problem.

On a side note, loaded a regular DVD and it appeared on the TV screen and played with no problem. Also double-checked TV inputs and connections to DVR and their fine. I have RF connected by antenna cables via Antenna Wall Outlet. In using the Panasonic main unit for accessing channel numbers, for the cable numbers, some of the numbers appear on the TV screen in a Panasonic remote control picture saying, “No Signal”. Also for the heck of it, I reconnected the Sony to see if I still get the Sony set-up on my TV screen - yep.

Dealer is no help, they just sell the product. Panasonic support no longer provides support for this model. AVS Forum is my only hope. I’ve got sometime (14 days) to return but I must pay return shipping and restocking fees. If could just get the setup to appear on my TV screen, I think I’ll be fine. If not, I guess I have no recourse but to return it. So I’m hoping someone can help me in this regard.

Thank you for your time.
artcal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
You do have the Panasonic remote along with the ez48? If so..
Try holding down the #1 key on the remote and the Enter key at the same time (for a couple seconds). This will change the remote control back to remote 1.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3 of 5 Old 07-18-2014, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I think pressures from the studio and distributors have resulted in many electronics firms getting rid of disc recorders of all kinds. The interesting thing is: it was easier to make a permanent copy of any videos 10 years ago than it is now.

HD DVRs present a particular problem, since it's becoming harder and harder to get things out through the analogue hole. In theory, anything you can see on your set you can also record, but HDMI is problematic.

The self-contained DVD recorders out there were good for their time, but I think the reality is 1) the whole world has gone HD, and 2) the transports on the machines all eventually fall apart. It's sobering to note that standalone Blu-ray recorders have existed for many years in Japan but have yet to be imported as consumer products in America. (So-called "pro" Blu-ray recorders do exist, but you'll pay a premium price for them.)
post #4 of 5 Old 07-19-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Okay, a few things to start out: The manual can be downloaded here, it will answer many of your questions, like the remote control CODE issue.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...REZ48V-MUL.PDF

You can do ALMOST nothing with this machine without the remote. There are a few front panel buttons, but everything else, and that is a lot, is accessed from the setup screens that require the remote, which has to be on the proper code.

When you press a button on the remote, the main unit will flash a message containing a number. You need to set the remote to THAT code for the two to work together. This prefix code is to allow you to have as many as three units in the same location without having interference between them. The info on this is on page 57 of the manual.

I don't have an EZ48, but I doubt you can even get to the setup menus without the remote.

If you can see a DVD playback from this machine on your television screen, then you have the wiring correct. It is likely just the remote code.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 5 Old 07-19-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Frustrated with Panasonic DMR EZ48VK

Everyone,

Got problem solved and remote working. I want to thank everyone for your input. Now can visually see TV screen and access set-up data. Your advise was extremely helpful and very much appreciated.

Thank you!
artcal
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page