Can I Use a Toshiba RS-TX20 WITHOUT TiVo Service? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can I Use a Toshiba RS-TX20 WITHOUT TiVo Service?

I'm still using an outside TV antenna to watch over the air broadcasts from the 8 or so local major affiliate's stations. The signal comes from the antenna into the Input of a digital to analog converter box, then into my Panasonic DVD recorder and then into the TV. Works great and costs NOTHING.

I recently purchased a used Toshiba RS-TX20 and Humax remote to use as a backup DVD recorder. The onboard HDD was a nice little extra. The Toshiba plays previously recorded DVD movies and other machines' finalized DVD-RWs fine, so I assume the drive is OK. Unfortunately, I have been unable to do even the most basic of SETUPs on the machine (can't even get the friggin' CLOCK set), and I can't format or RECORD blank DVDs. Whenever I go to SETUP I keep getting a warning that I haven't used TiVo in X months and I need to call a certain phone number to set the machine up. I've downloaded parts of the operator's manual but it's been of no help.

I'm just interested in using the machine as a simple DVD and possibly HDD recorder. Is there any way to do this without subscribing to TiVo service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 463
TiVo Basic service (3 day guide) was free with that model which is a TiVo series 2 recorder. However, the thing is so old that TiVo may have pulled the plug on the free service. All I can tell you is to call the number you are given and talk to whoever answers to get the information you need.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine