switching connections with equipment on - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 19
switching connections with equipment on

i realize it's a pretty basic question but after i'd switched leads (hdmi, rca composite and S-video) leads while components were turned on, i found a couple of warnings to not disconnect/connect with equipment powered up.

what is the risk or danger? - is it that critical?

tks in advance

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
i realize it's a pretty basic question but after i'd switched leads (hdmi, rca composite and S-video) leads while components were turned on, i found a couple of warnings to not disconnect/connect with equipment powered up.

what is the risk or danger? - is it that critical?
The risk is damaging your equipment -- sometimes irreparably.
The warnings are there for a reason.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 07-29-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I always hot swap my equipment and have never had any issues, of course I never unmount(or whatever it's called) my USB devices either and also never had any issues because of it(of course not while writing to it). Not saying thats the way to always do it, but it works for me
Old 07-29-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I always hot swap my equipment and have never had any issues, of course I never unmount(or whatever it's called) my USB devices either and also never had any issues because of it(of course not while writing to it). Not saying thats the way to always do it, but it works for me
thanks - i kind of figured it'd be best to turn everything off but the damn delay in restarting and waiting for everything to load is a pita and i kind of figured most folks don't bother - and as i hadn't seen multiple reports of equipment frapping so i was ready to assume the risk wasn't that high.

As soon as i pickup some more cables i can connect that switch i ordered and there'll be no more hot connection swaps

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK