Recording problem with Magnovox MDR557H - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2014, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Recording problem with Magnovox MDR557H

I did the initial setup with a new Magnavox MDR557H tonite and have a problem with the record option. When I use the record option the unit displays random numbers as it's recording, and the same numbers are posted on the TV screen as well as the red record button. The unit records the show ok, but the numbers and the red record button never disappear from the TV screen. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, goldhawk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldhawk View Post
I did the initial setup with a new Magnavox MDR557H tonite and have a problem with the record option. When I use the record option the unit displays random numbers as it's recording, and the same numbers are posted on the TV screen as well as the red record button. The unit records the show ok, but the numbers and the red record button never disappear from the TV screen. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, goldhawk.
Did you consider posting this question in the thread already dedicated to this recorder, instead of starting a whole new thread?

I'd also explain what you mean by "random numbers" and 'the red button never disappears from the TV screen'. (For example, with regards to the 'red button', do you mean it stays on screen even after the recording is over?)
Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
funny numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Did you consider posting this question in the thread already dedicated to this recorder, instead of starting a whole new thread?

I'd also explain what you mean by "random numbers" and 'the red button never disappears from the TV screen'. (For example, with regards to the 'red button', do you mean it stays on screen even after the recording is over?)
------------------------
"random numbers" may be what I experienced with two different Magnavox units. When REC is pressed, the system quickly cycles through the pre set recording times (30, 1, 1:30, etc.) At the same time the red record light is displayed. The time left count down number acts like the system is recording. However pressing STOP causes a brief symbol flashing and the systems continues to cycle the numbers as before. The only way to stop the unit is to turn it off and then the current recorded program is lost.

This happened to me on both a new MDR533H/F& and a new MDR 557H/F7. Magnavox tech support lady was no help at all. She simply tried to read the instruction manual and apparently had no technical background.I returned both machines (through Amazon) and have no idea what to do for a HDD DVD recorder.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd Spot View Post
------------------------
"random numbers" may be what I experienced with two different Magnavox units. When REC is pressed, the system quickly cycles through the pre set recording times (30, 1, 1:30, etc.) At the same time the red record light is displayed. The time left count down number acts like the system is recording. However pressing STOP causes a brief symbol flashing and the systems continues to cycle the numbers as before. The only way to stop the unit is to turn it off and then the current recorded program is lost.

This happened to me on both a new MDR533H/F& and a new MDR 557H/F7. Magnavox tech support lady was no help at all. She simply tried to read the instruction manual and apparently had no technical background.I returned both machines (through Amazon) and have no idea what to do for a HDD DVD recorder.
What you're describing is One-Touch Recording, which normallt requires multiple presses of the REC button, which adds manual recording time in 15-min. increments (557) or 30-min. increments (533). It usually works like this: select HDD or DVD (with DVD inserted), press REC, recording starts, press REC again and 1st 15-min. shows on screen (meaning the current recording will continue for 15-min.), press REC again and display shows 30-,in., press REC again and display shows 45-min., etc. You do NOT hold the REC button, just normal press each time.

While recording, the front-panel display will count down from the total time you set by pressing REC multiple times.

To STOP a recording, press AND HOLD the STOP button until you see a dialog asking your to confirm that you want to stop the recording... a precaution against "accidental" stopping of a recording.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; 08-13-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Tags
record icon stays on tv with magnavox mdr557h