Recording Error E25 for certain channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-08-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Recording Error E25 for certain channels

I have Comcast Cable box (STB) RNG110 and a Magnavox MDR515H/F7 HDD/DVD recorder with digital tuner. I do NOT have or want a DVR. My Magnavox is slaved to the cable box. Yesterday I discovered that I could not record "network" channels-I received "Recording Error, This program is not allowed to be recorded E25". This only occurs for network channels (PBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, etc) regardless of whether I try standard or high definition. I can record these channels by using the OTA transmissions I receive through RCA rabbit ears (which feeds into the coax in-I did this because timer programming is MUCH simpler using the Magnavox tuner and timer without fussing with the cable guide (and frankly, most of the time the cable does not change channels)) or by using the DTA cable box (but then I cannot have the recorder change the station). I can, however, record ESPN, HBO, HGTV etc. in high definition. Repeated calls to Comcast were useless as they claim hands off for third party equipment.

Has anyone else run into this? I suspect that Comcast has inserted some encryption into the STB and while my workaround with the rabbit ears is okay for now, I am concerned that it will propagate to other channels over time. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-08-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
If you're trying to record to the Mag's HDD... not a DVD, which is more problematic than the HDD... that most likely means that Comcast has added strong CP protection. If that's the case, you'll need a "filter.converter" between the STB and the Mag, as described here.

Here are some Tips from other STB users on coordinated timer recording, incl. the RNG110.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-08-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 93
If you need a video filter I'd suggest the Grex. Works good and decent price though Amazon including free shipping. Only thing negative about it IMO the the odd shape, reminds me of a pace pacemaker, or what they used to look like I've never ran into anything that the Grex wouldn't let me record.
http://www.amazon.com/XDIMAX-GREX-7-...deo+stabilizer
post #4 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also posted on the Comcast (Xfinity) website and got the following in reply:

"The RNG110 has a long history of the recording flag being set wrong so recordings can't be made on certain devices.

Take the box, power supply and remote to your local Comcast office and try to get a Motorola RNG150 or DCX3200 box instead."

Wary of putting money into the Grex-won't it become cat and mouse as Comcast puts through new encryption and I have to buy increasingly updated Grex?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
If you need a video filter I'd suggest the Grex. Works good and decent price though Amazon including free shipping. Only thing negative about it IMO the the odd shape, reminds me of a pace pacemaker, or what they used to look like I've never ran into anything that the Grex wouldn't let me record.
http://www.amazon.com/XDIMAX-GREX-7-...deo+stabilizer
jjeff - in that thread on cp stripping filters, iirc there were some user reports of inconsistent quality with the Grex? - that was one reason i went with the LD Video Filter. Only issues i've had were twice, with sony DVDs in a Sony blu-ray player and i think you mentioned sony was notorious for CP protection, ie overdoing it

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
post #6 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
jjeff - in that thread on cp stripping filters, iirc there were some user reports of inconsistent quality with the Grex? - that was one reason i went with the LD Video Filter. Only issues i've had were twice, with sony DVDs in a Sony blu-ray player and i think you mentioned sony was notorious for CP protection, ie overdoing it
Holy cow,can hardly believe the LD Video Filter doesn't solve the issue.Are you sure it's connected properly??

I recently bought a Grex and it does work well.There does seem to be a slight softening of the pic.,but not enough to complain about.

Last edited by greaser; 08-09-2014 at 01:18 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
Holy cow,can hardly believe the LD Video Filter doesn't solve the issue.Are you sure it's connected properly??

I recently bought a Grex and it does work well.There does seem to be a slight softening of the pic.,but not enough to complain about.
the LD filter has been great - like i said, the only issues were sony entertainment dvds in a sony player (BDP-S580)
and i reconnected it 3X to see if it was the sony/sony combo and it was - two of those times were after the DVD copied from a samsung dvd player

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
post #8 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
the LD filter has been great - like i said, the only issues were sony entertainment dvds in a sony player (BDP-S580)
and i reconnected it 3X to see if it was the sony/sony combo and it was - two of those times were after the DVD copied from a samsung dvd player
Strange things happen sometimes.I once tried to record a video from NF with my Sima CT-2 filter only to get the dreaded "cannot copy" error message.Don't know why,and it only happened with that particular video.
It's the only time the Sima couldn't do its job.Weird.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-10-2014, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I have used a Logic Design Video Filter many years now, and there were two video tapes that managed to get a copy prohibit signal through. I don't understand it exactly, but it was 100% repeatable. It wasn't the beginning, but at some specific time, like 22:17 into the tape, the DVD recorder (Panasonic) would signal a copy protection fault and stop recording. In both cases, my Sima allowed me to make the copy, but the result was badly brightened and washed out, something the LDVF never did. I should point out that this was two tapes out of hundreds. They were both exercise videos for the wife. She had many of them from the same company, but those two were the only ones with that issue. I don't get it, but this stuff is sometimes more like Voodoo than science.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Comcast , e25 , magnavox mdr515h
Gear in this thread - mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page