post #31 of 110 Old 08-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
Church - tks for the info - the differences in the formats wasn't what i was asking but you did answer what i was so thanks for that

I've been googling the TY DVD-R DL discs and somehow found sears.com offering them for a much better price ($45 + about $17 shipping) to a virginia address so i assume they're still coming from Japan, but i'm a little more comfortable with the sears name

http://www.sears.com/book-taiyo-yuden-that-s-dvd-r-8x-speed/p-SPM10776074315

well, i ordered them and sears even accepted the $8 worth of "shop your way" points i had with them
they're projecting delivery by Aug 18th, so we'll see if they were delivered from inside the US
they are sold by these people
Contact Seller

OUTLETZON
About Us Return Policy 2014 Rain Storm Ct
North Las Vegas NV 89032
UShttp://www.sears.com/search=?sellerId=28125

MickinCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 Old 08-18-2014, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 19
yeah, i got an order confirmation from them - the $17 seems a little high for shipping for a 2 lb pkg from Vegas, but at least if there are any issues with the order, i'll be dealing with sears and not someone in japan 14 hours apart time zone wise and who's english is not much better than my japanese

still, they were $63 + some change before the sears "shop your way" points, which is still cheaper than the japanese pricing - hell, ebay japan also offers them for $78.99

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
post #33 of 110 Old 08-18-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Church - tks for the info - the differences in the formats wasn't what i was asking but you did answer what i was so thanks for that

I've been googling the TY DVD-R DL discs and somehow found sears.com offering them for a much better price ($45 + about $17 shipping) to a virginia address so i assume they're still coming from Japan, but i'm a little more comfortable with the sears name

http://www.sears.com/book-taiyo-yuden-that-s-dvd-r-8x-speed/p-SPM10776074315

well, i ordered them and sears even accepted the $8 worth of "shop your way" points i had with them
they're projecting delivery by Aug 18th, so we'll see if they were delivered from inside the US

Wow! My hat's off to you for THAT find. I am very impressed. I have been diligently looking for these disks for a long time, but never thought to include Sears in my search. Like jjeff, I am also completely shocked that Sears would carry such a niche product.

Please keep us informed as to the time of arrival and how well they work for you.

I'm STILL puzzled by the your +R DL experience.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #34 of 110 Old 08-18-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Wow! My hat's off to you for THAT find. I am very impressed. I have been diligently looking for these disks for a long time, but never thought to include Sears in my search. Like jjeff, I am also completely shocked that Sears would carry such a niche product.

Please keep us informed as to the time of arrival and how well they work for you.

I'm STILL puzzled by the your +R DL experience.
Thanks but i only found it cause i googled "Taiyo Yuden DVD-R DL (with the 50 disc spindle part #) DR-C21WWY50BA on the amazon japan page" . So basically i was just building on what you'd found. It also pulled them up on ebay japan, but at prices starting at $78.99 shipped.

and only reason i ordered those, is I'm hoping it will eliminate the time delay in recording to +R DL discs.

jjeff - suspect you must be closer to the west coast than i am (here in VA) as the cheapest price i saw on amazon was $69.XX (crowding $70). But even so, the $17.63 shipping charge from vegas, i suspect the vendor is shielding some profit from sears while playing off the shipping cost from asia. Plus the "show your way" points thing at sears, gave me $2.28 in points toward my next sears purchase.

One thing about sears, in case you guys aren't aware - their partsdirect page http://parts.sears.com/partsdirect/index.action . Any appliance, tool (30 yr milwaukee, 30 yr old craftsman it doesn't matter) - you punch in a model number and it queries you "is that for a maytag washer etc" and then gives you a choice of "parts schematic" or parts reference page - open both pages.

Had a 1980 purchased maytag washer hose burst on a saturday afternoon - a stupid little "S" shaped hose reducing from 1/2" to 3/8" - i jury rigged a splice for the wife, went on the web, identified the hose on the schematic, ordered it on saturday afternoon ($6.86 + $6 for priority shipping) and it was here on Tuesday. Whiz, Bam thank you madam - simple & sweet.

i've found parts for two ancient belt sanders, a 1974 purchased craftsman circular saw, 2 differnent ryobi table saws, a makita finish sander. Only tool i couldn't find what i wanted parts for was a frigging bosch router - bosch wants you to buy new replacement.

fwiw

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK

Last edited by larryccf; 08-18-2014 at 06:54 PM.
post #35 of 110 Old 08-18-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
and only reason i ordered those, is I'm hoping it will eliminate the time delay in recording to +R DL discs.

jjeff - suspect you must be closer to the west coast than i am (here in VA) as the cheapest price i saw on amazon was $69.XX (crowding $70). But even so, the $17.63 shipping charge from vegas, i suspect the vendor is shielding some profit from sears while playing off the shipping cost from asia.
As I said, I STILL don't understand the +R DL reluctance to make an HS copy. That has NOT been my experience, in that I have made high speed copies using +R DL disks from my EH59.

What you said about shipping was exactly what I was thinking, but I couldn't imagine what advantage there would be in moving some of the cost from the item to the shipping. You have (I think) got it right. I live in California, and the web site says $17.61 for shipping AFTER I entered my zip code. I don't know where the two sents went! There was only one shipping option, so I think it's a flat-rate shipping charge, shifting some of the product cost to shipping.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #36 of 110 Old 08-20-2014, 11:21 AM

i knew there had to be a "hiccup" - just got a call from the vendor (outletzon), really hard to understand asian dialect - had to ask the guy to repeat what he was saying 3 times - and sounded like the call was coming from overseas on a poor computer connection. The call was to inform me that they were out of stock on the TY DVD-R DL discs but that they were coming in, ordered from china, and would be here in 17 - 28 days - this after sending me an email saying Aug 21 for delivery.

does anyone know, are the TYs made in japan or china?

tks

post #37 of 110 Old 08-20-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
All the Tys I've seen are made in Japan, maybe it's just the distributor who is based in China??
Out of stock on something as obscure as these discs sounds rather odd, I'd be surprised it they sold more than a spindle this year, I mean who else orders such a thing. Again the whole thing sounds fishy to me......Hopefully dealing with Sears if things never pan out you'd be able to get your money back but I wouldn't wait forever to get the discs, if they keep coming up with excuses(slow boat from China) I'd pull the plug and look elsewhere.
post #38 of 110 Old 08-20-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
All the Tys I've seen are made in Japan, maybe it's just the distributor who is based in China??
Or maybe it's the chinese JVC factory.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #39 of 110 Old 08-20-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i knew there had to be a "hiccup" - just got a call from the vendor (outletzon), really hard to understand asian dialect - had to ask the guy to repeat what he was saying 3 times - and sounded like the call was coming from overseas on a poor computer connection. The call was to inform me that they were out of stock on the TY DVD-R DL discs but that they were coming in, ordered from china, and would be here in 17 - 28 days - this after sending me an email saying Aug 21 for delivery.

does anyone know, are the TYs made in japan or china?

tks
This just keeps getting weirder and weirder. I can't wait to hear the next chapter after this cliffhanger. With well known vendors like Sears and Amazon, I find it hard to believe that these are just vaporware. Three to four weeks is a bit of a wait compared to tomorrow like earlier promised.

I have never heard of any disk bearing the Taiyo Yuden name that was not made in Japan. Maybe things have changed, like Kelson suggests. On the other hand, if jjeff is right, having the product go from Japan, to China, then to the US is not very direct. I would expect them to be more expensive, just for all that shipping and handling.

Luke

post #40 of 110 Old 08-20-2014, 03:24 PM

the only fact keeping me in the game is that i can't imagine anyone counterfeiting such a low volume, sales wise, item

post #41 of 110 Old 08-20-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
the only fact keeping me in the game is that i can't imagine anyone counterfeiting such a low volume, sales wise, item
True, it's a VERY niche product. It's like making a product used only by, say, Jewish Eskimos or something. There is no value in counterfeiting a product with such limited (narrow) application.

BOY! Am I glad I decided to start this thread!

Luke

post #42 of 110 Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:

I think i'll hold off for a bit before i agree

post #43 of 110 Old 08-20-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
And after following it I'm glad +DL works so very well for me.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #44 of 110 Old 08-20-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
I think i'll hold off for a bit before i agree

You did catch the rolling of the eyes, didn't you? The discussion has been interesting though.

Luke

post #45 of 110 Old 08-20-2014, 06:57 PM

yep - i caught it, notice i'm grinning in my post

Last edited by larryccf; 08-20-2014 at 07:15 PM.
post #46 of 110 Old 08-24-2014, 09:27 AM

i keep getting ads on whatever pages i visit for these Ritek Ridata DVD-R Dual Layer (DL) 4X Silver Branded Double Layer Media Discs (DRD-85-RDUSA-CB25) 8.5GB in 25 Pack Cake Box

any opinions on ritek ridata discs? - these are $0.60 per, so price is fairly cheap

post #47 of 110 Old 08-24-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
i keep getting ads on whatever pages i visit for these Ritek Ridata DVD-R Dual Layer (DL) 4X Silver Branded Double Layer Media Discs (DRD-85-RDUSA-CB25) 8.5GB in 25 Pack Cake Box

any opinions on ritek ridata discs? - these are $0.60 per, so price is fairly cheap
I have used RiTek and they are OK. Not bottom of the barrel but not as good as the Verbatim disks. My expectation is that they will burn OK in a recent vintage (2-3 yr old) PC burner but may give you problems in a DVD recorder with an old burner. I say may, not will -- ymmv.

- kelson h

post #48 of 110 Old 08-25-2014, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I personally have had NOTHING but very bad experiences with these Ritek -R DL disks. A while back I made several of them for my wife from her exercise VHS tapes. They originally worked fine, but after only a few months, she started to complain about pausing and pixelating. I looked at them with a disk evaluation program, and they were very bad, much worse than when I made them. About a month later she said that she was abandoning the DVDs I had made and was going back to the tapes. I looked at them a second time, and they all--yes all--had fatal errors. After doing some research, I found a couple of reviews of them like this one:

Quote:
I have been using these discs for over 2 years, and had "thought" they were very nice. Nero 8 rarely reports any issues when burning files TO them. But the real telling is now, 2 years later, when I am trying to access the 8GB of files I had saved to each of them. I am re-cataloging hundreds of discs, and I had completely used 2 packages of these discs over the past few years creating the backups I am now sorting through. After having found my third one that gets CRC errors and hangs the computer trying to read them, or sometimes appears to not even be a disc when inserted into the DVD-DL drive, I would certainly never recommend these to anyone! I have lost over 20GB of important backup files that I had thought I could rely upon because of these discs.

Tonight I have also found many complaints about them online after a quick search. I will completely avoid this brand in the future!

You might not get as bad results as I did, but I cannot recommend these disks. They did not work for me. I purchased two spindles, and within 18 months, not a single one was playable. 100% failure is not a good track record. I have made some Verbatim +R DL disks dating back to the first week I owned an EH55, (late 2006, early 2007 time frame) and those have shown no degradation whatsoever.

Buyer beware!

Luke

post #49 of 110 Old 08-25-2014, 03:58 AM

thanks - 60 cents per seamed too good to be true

post #50 of 110 Old 08-25-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

larryccf, I second Church AV Guy, I would NOT suggest Ritek DVDs, especially the -R DLs. Really too bad as they are very well priced but junk IMO.
Are you still waiting for the Ty -R DLs(THAT's label) or did you go ahead and cancel your order? Just wondering.
post #51 of 110 Old 08-25-2014, 02:05 PM

didn't cancel the order - still waiting but it'll probably be another month B4 they get here - outletzon had said in their broken english "17 - 28 days", so we'll have to see if he meant per our calendar or ??????

I say that cause one shop that used to do work for us would promise turn-around in "xx" weeks - and it would always be 1.5 - 2X "xx" weeks - i finally figured out the problem was they weren't using the same calendar everyone else does

post #52 of 110 Old 08-28-2014, 04:24 PM

i didn't think this merited a thread it's own, but figured would want to know - noticed the past few days verbatim DVD-R discs have been going up (pricewise) on amazon - one seller that i was buying from actually had best pricing on 50 disc spindles at $12 shipped. Now he's at $16.86 shipped.

everyone seems to have raised their pricing, but one seller is fairly low at $19.45 for a 100 disc spindle of the verbatim -R discs - these are SL, not DL but are the AZO coated discs - but still that's the best price i've seen i the 3 or 4 months i've been buying them. amazon disc vendor

In case that serves someone.

post #53 of 110 Old 08-28-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually I just noticed today the price of Verbatim AZO +R DLs(8x variety) have dropped to below $1 per disc in the 50 spindle(shortly after I paid $55 )
$48.85/50 As usual with Amazon that price is sure to change by the hour or for sure day
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F2YPH2/...ZXYEHQE0&psc=1
post #54 of 110 Old 08-28-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TA DA!

Okay, here is the story so far. Just so I didn't;t seem like a dummy parted from his money, I never stated that I did make a purchase of those DVD -R DL disks from Amazon.com. If the never showed up, I didn't want people thinking I was a mark for a scam. Well, I placed the order on August 9th. It said right off, that

Delivery estimate: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - Wednesday, October 1, 2014 by 8:00pm

So I wasn't holding my breath. Well, here it is, Aug 28, well before Sept 10th, and they showed up today. There was a nice note packaged with them. It cost me $63.78 delivered for one 50 disk cakebox, oh, and it looks very much like the standard T-Y cakebox.

The only thing on the cakebox that was not in Japanese was a red box with the warning, "USE ONLY IN JAPAN". Am I in trouble for using them in the US? It doesn't say Taiyo Yuden on it anywhere, at least not that I could read. There was a lot of writing on the shrink-wrapped cover that I could not read. It DID say DVD-R DL and http://startlab.co.jp also. That web site has pictures of THAT'S media and says it is a joint venture of Sony and Taiyo Yuden and is pretty hard to read as not all of it is translatable. It does have a picture and description of what I just purchased.

I haven't written one of these yet, but the DMR EH55 sees it as a -R DL, it does not ask to format it, and it reports the size as 8064MB. It DID give me the standard, "you can't write directly to this DL disk..." message though, but I wasn't expecting anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	234121  

Luke

post #55 of 110 Old 08-28-2014, 06:00 PM

HA - and i'm still sitting here waiting for my sears TY discs - they'll probably show up around christmas, but at least, with that http://startlab.co.jp link, i have some idea of what they should show on the label (hopefully the fact they're shipping from china is only cause the distributor is in china).

Last edited by larryccf; 08-28-2014 at 06:06 PM.
post #56 of 110 Old 08-28-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
HA - and i'm still sitting here waiting for my sears TY discs - they'll probably show up around christmas, but at least, with that http://startlab.co.jp link, i have some idea of what they should show on the label (hopefully the fact they're shipping from china is only cause the distributor is in china).

Oh yes, thanks for reminding me. Mine came from Japan. The postmark was Japan, and the letter inside was from JP-Product, which I assume is Japanese.

From the ninth to the twenty-eighth is nineteen days. I'm sure it wasn't sent air mail. They have white top rather than a lacquer top--not shiny. There was no damage to the box or contents at all. Yours may come soon, or not... That's why I didn't tell anyone, to avid looking foolish in case it really took until October 1.

Luke

post #57 of 110 Old 08-28-2014, 07:24 PM

unfortunately, "fear of looking foolish" has never made me hesitate, LOL!!

post #58 of 110 Old 08-28-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Luke have you looked at the MID of your new -R DLs?
If you still have a Magnavox I believe they tell it somewhere, otherwise if you have IMGBURN(free DVD burning software) it shows the MID under the discovery option.
Videohelp shows the THAT's media but none for their DL media, only -R. In fact they only show 6 different -R DL types, none Ty.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dv...+or+List+Media
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dv...+or+List+Media

Last edited by jjeff; 08-28-2014 at 08:00 PM.
post #59 of 110 Old 08-30-2014, 08:36 AM

interesting how positive all the reviews on amazon are, re the Taiyo Yuden DVD-R SL discs

http://www.amazon.com/Taiyo-Yuden-JV...DateDescending

post #60 of 110 Old 08-30-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Ty DVDs are probably the most revered discs followed closely by Verbatim AZO DVDs.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page