Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
DVD -R DL discs

I stumbled on this yesterday:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Thats-8XSPEED-...That%27s+DVD-R

I had never seen these before. The brand name "That's" is really silly. You know how many hits you get searching on "That's"? I have been told that the brand "That's" is Taiyo-Yuden, and has been their Asian brand for a long time, long before they acquired the JVC brand name.

Has anyone had any experience with them, or even heard anything about them?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA

Last edited by Church AV Guy; 08-12-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 08-10-2014, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Have bought TY and Verbatim for years. Never heard of "that" brand.
post #3 of 110 Old 08-10-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Disc prices are good, of course shipping from Japan really adds to the cost....if they are Ty -R DLs they should be good. Too bad no one has imported these to the US wonder if it's a licensing thing....
post #4 of 110 Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Googling the item model number, turned up the amazon Japan page for it, where it's claimed to be T-Y in the description, with additional links down the page for related items with ''Taiyo Yuden That's'' posted.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.amazon.co.jp/DVD-R%25E3%2583%2593%25E3%2583%2587%25E3%2582%25AA%25E 7%2594%25A8-CPRM%25E5%25AF%25BE%25E5%25BF%259C8%25E5%2580%258D %25E9%2580%259F215%25E5%2588%25868-5GB-%25E7%2589%2587%25E9%259D%25A22%25E5%25B1%25A4%25E 3%2583%25AF%25E3%2582%25A4%25E3%2583%2589%25E3%258 3%2597%25E3%2583%25AA%25E3%2583%25B3%25E3%2582%25B F%25E3%2583%2596%25E3%2583%25AB-%25E3%2582%25B9%25E3%2583%2594%25E3%2583%25B3%25E3 %2583%2589%25E3%2583%25AB%25E3%2582%25B1%25E3%2583 %25BC%25E3%2582%25B950%25E6%259E%259A%25E5%2585%25 A5-DR-C21WWY50BA/dp/B0037NYFJY&prev=/search%3Fq%3DDR-C21WWY50BA%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DdUB%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26channel%3Drcs

Again, no way to find out if they're genuine TYs.

Edit-wow, I don't supposed there's a way to shrink that link down to something asthetically pleasing, is there?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; 08-10-2014 at 07:56 AM.
post #5 of 110 Old 08-10-2014, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Visually pleasing linky

Just change the text at the end of the brackets for a hyperlink
post #6 of 110 Old 08-12-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank the system administrators for fixing the thread title. It SHOULD have been "DVD -R DL discs" but I made a typo and it turned out to have been +R, which is the OPPOSITE of what I was trying to say. Sheesh!

Here is why I posted this thread...

I have Panasonic DVD recorders: EH50, EH55, EH75, EH59, EH69. With the exception of the EH50, the others all will use DL media. They have an odd way of processing +R media though. When I put a +R or +R DL into the machine, it tells me that the disc needs to be formatted. Once I do that, it allows me to continue writing to and closing the disc. The result does not play back properly in many DVD and BR players. some players won't play the disc at all, others will play the first chapter of the first title, and then return to the top menu, some have no problem with them. This isn't much of an issue with single layer media since really good -R discs are readily available (T-Y, Verb). The problem really exists though with DL media. Like with -R SL media, good quality +R DL media is readily available made by Verbatim, but good -R DL media is all but non-existent. There are these:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...e-dvd-media-25

but when I tried to use them, they started breaking down within a few months and in a half a year, were unplayable! After a LOT of searching, I found a source for these:

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-VD-R85HGS1...pr_product_top

though not in the US. The UK vendor where I bought them a while back no longer lists them.

The DVD recorders I have do not request the -R DL discs be formatted before use, and I have not found a single player that won't play them, so I have an interest in finding good -R DL media. There is another "pocket" of weirdness associated with these discs though.

I make a duplicate of nearly every disc I burn. I figure if it's worth my time making, it's worth expending another $0.20 for a backup copy. I discovered something odd about DL media and my Microboards CD/DVD duplicator, and probably with my CopyPal, but I haven't tried it with the CopyPal so I can't be sure. Here is the weirdness: If I create a +R DL disc with my DVD recorder, it (as I said) won't work in some of my DVD players, though the -R DL discs play fine. If I make a duplicate of the +R DL disc onto +R DL media, the duplicate won't work just like the original. Once, I got confused and made a duplicate of a +R DL disc onto -R DL media. I was surprised that it worked--the duplicator didn't complain at all--but the resulting -R DL duplicate would not play on the same machines that the original +R DL would not play on. Being curious, I made a -R DL disc, and tried to duplicate it to +R DL blank media. Again, it worked with no complaints from the duplicator. The resultant +R DL disc played just fine in the machines that would not play a +R DL disc that was created in my DVD recorder. So, whatever the original disc had in terms of playability, the duplicate, whatever the format, retained the characteristics of the original, not the characteristics of its native media type.

So, I have been writing -R DL media and duplicating it onto +R DL media, but with new -R DL media all but unavailable, when my supply is gone, I am out of luck. THAT'S why I was interested in the "THAT'S" media. If there really is a supply of -R DL media that isn't landfill junk, I am interested.

Note: I hope I got all the plusses and dashes right in this post!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA

Last edited by Church AV Guy; 08-12-2014 at 12:23 PM.
post #7 of 110 Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Well if you order some and they work I may just follow and order a spindle
Ty DLs and - at that, sounds good to me!
I don't burn many DLs in my Panasonics, I mainly use DLs in my PC or CopyII duplicator and those burn +R DLs just fine but for the rare occasions I'd be using my Panasonic I'd really prefer -R DLs. In fact after inserting a +R DL Verbatim AZO in one of my EH-55s and having the laser fail, I've pretty much swarn off DLs in my Panasonics. I guess I would risk -R DLs, especially if the Ty brand. Not that +R DL AZO Verbs aren't top quality it's just that Panasonics are so adverse to the + format I don't want to use them anymore or risk any premature laser failures.
post #8 of 110 Old 08-12-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've been using the Ridata for 3 years now, never an issue,
When I make copies for friends, they get a +R dub...lol

Moving on to Blu-ray discs for this coming season
post #9 of 110 Old 08-12-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I've been using the Ridata for 3 years now, never an issue,
When I make copies for friends, they get a +R dub...lol
I can't explain the Ridata issue either, but when I have complaints about discs I have made after only a few months, and total failures after a half a year, I'm not too happy. When I find complaints like these, I conclude that these are not for me.

Quote:
I have been using these discs for over 2 years, and had "thought" they were very nice. Nero 8 rarely reports any issues when burning files TO them. But the real telling is now, 2 years later, when I am trying to access the 8GB of files I had saved to each of them. I am re-cataloging hundreds of discs, and I had completely used 2 packages of these discs over the past few years creating the backups I am now sorting through. After having found my third one that gets CRC errors and hangs the computer trying to read them, or sometimes appears to not even be a disc when inserted into the DVD-DL drive, I would certainly never recommend these to anyone! I have lost over 20GB of important backup files that I had thought I could rely upon because of these discs.

Tonight I have also found many complaints about them online after a quick search. I will completely avoid this brand in the future!

Quote:
Bought 100 - the first 10 have failed to burn, while other brands have done fine. Don't waste your money and time.

Quote:
After I bought my MacBook Pro, which included an 8X double layer Super Drive, I lpurchased a set of Ridata 8X DL's. I immediately got error messages. I spent about an hour trying to get a clean burn. I tried varrying the size of the burn, the types of files, burning Mac only or Pc and Mac with no success. I used both the latest Roxio Toast program and the simpler Mac program. Nada. Then I put a Verbatim 4X Dl disk in the Mac and "no problema". The Verbatim disks worked with both programs. The Ridata would not even record. Not a very good buy!

Granted there are as many positive reviews as negative reviews, but when the bad ones are so bad, I notice.

Luke

post #10 of 110 Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ci tried some verbatim azo +R DL in my Pan EH-59, hoping to be able to record a 3 hour movie in SP on one disc - the PAN formatted the disc, but when i tried to copy the movie from hdd to the disc it indicated there wasn't enough space - so i assumed it formatted it as a SL disc

interesting to know the issue is "DL" related and not my Pan EH-59

tried three different discs (all verbatim) same result with all three. Luckily i only bought a small 10 disc pack

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK

Last edited by larryccf; 08-12-2014 at 07:22 PM.
post #11 of 110 Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Were you doing a HS dub? Doing a HS dub the EH-59 should show you have 8028MB or roughly 3hrs 55 minutes of SP material. Sounds like your trying to do a realtime dub?
post #12 of 110 Old 08-12-2014, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
ci tried some verbatim azo +R DL in my Pan EH-59, hoping to be able to record a 3 hour movie in SP on one disc - the PAN formatted the disc, but when i tried to copy the movie from hdd to the disc it indicated there wasn't enough space - so i assumed it formatted it as a SL disc

interesting to know the issue is "DL" related and not my Pan EH-59

tried three different discs (all verbatim) same result with all three. Luckily i only bought a small 10 disc pack

I agree with jjeff. The Panasonic DVD recorders will not do real-time dubbing to DL disks. At least, the EH55, and EH75 won't. I don't actually remember trying to see if the EH59 will. Just a moment ... Okay, I just looked it up, and on page 11 of the manual, it says:

Quote:
You cannot directly record to a DVD-R DL and +R DL disc on this unit. Record to the HDD and then copy to the disc.

It should format to a size just over 8000Mb, or about 1.8 times the size of a single layer disk. That amounts to about 3:50, plus or minus a bit. You said:

Quote:
...when i tried to copy the movie from hdd to the disc it indicated there wasn't enough space...
Exactly how did you try to do the copy?

Luke

post #13 of 110 Old 08-13-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I agree with jjeff. The Panasonic DVD recorders will not do real-time dubbing to DL disks. At least, the EH55, and EH75 won't. I don't actually remember trying to see if the EH59 will. Just a moment ... Okay, I just looked it up, and on page 11 of the manual, it says:

It should format to a size just over 8000Mb, or about 1.8 times the size of a single layer disk. That amounts to about 3:50, plus or minus a bit. You said:

Exactly how did you try to do the copy?

didn't try real time dubbing - all recording i do is first to the HDD in SP, then copy > advanced copy to the dvd. Tried high speed first, then each of the normal speeds. FR was the one speed i was hopefull would be successful and got same message - "not enough space"

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
post #14 of 110 Old 08-13-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

What did it say was the total of your copy list and what did it say was the capacity of your target? I don't believe I've ever used DL media in my EH-59s but I have on my EH-55 and other than the fact that the very cheap Windata +R DL DVDs did not work, +R DL AZO Verbatims burnt quite well.
post #15 of 110 Old 08-13-2014, 07:13 AM

Remember what i said about my dyslexia and CRS in another post? - just went to re-insert one of the "DL" discs and they were not DL at all, but "RW" and obviously 120 minute (SP) 4.7 GB discs

insert sound of me smacking self on back of head

i just went to put one in to see what it showed for size - i think i was using RW discs as they were on the shelf next to the DLs and i'd only gotten 3 of the DLs and none had the cellophane wrapping removed and 10 of the RWs with three missing the cellophane wrapping gone - just popped a DL in, formatted it and it shows 1.51 hours capacity in XP mode, so it's looks like it was purely operator error

Last edited by larryccf; 08-13-2014 at 07:46 AM.
post #16 of 110 Old 08-14-2014, 09:37 AM

last night i dubbed a 2.5 hour movie from the hdd on my pan EH-59 to one of the +R DL discs. I had selected "normal speed SP" for the transfer (it wouldn't accept high speed).. When i hit "copy", it messaged me that it had to first copy the file to HDD and then transfer to the DVD - there was no option to tell it it was already on the HDD, and it should have known as that was part of the copy selection process.

is there something i missed? - as it "copied" the file to the HDD it seemed to take the same time as the original movie, then the copy to DVD seemed a little faster, maybe at the 1.3X speed. But is there any way to avoid that unnecessary transfer or did i miss something in the transfer process setup?

post #17 of 110 Old 08-14-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
last night i dubbed a 2.5 hour movie from the hdd on my pan EH-59 to one of the +R DL discs. I had selected "normal speed SP" for the transfer (it wouldn't accept high speed).. When i hit "copy", it messaged me that it had to first copy the file to HDD and then transfer to the DVD - there was no option to tell it it was already on the HDD, and it should have known as that was part of the copy selection process.

is there something i missed? - as it "copied" the file to the HDD it seemed to take the same time as the original movie, then the copy to DVD seemed a little faster, maybe at the 1.3X speed. But is there any way to avoid that unnecessary transfer or did i miss something in the transfer process setup?
I can hazard a guess -- which is probably not entirely correct since I don't have an EH-59.

Did you try to do the dub at a different recording mode (speed) than what you recorded the original as? If you did then that would cause the EH-59 to re-code the video which is a real-time operation. As to why it would insist on writing the re-code to the HDD instead of burning it directly to the +DL disk -- well here is where I can make an educated guess based on experience burning DL media.

An important consideration of burning +DL media is "where do you put the layer break". You don't just put it anywhere when you fill up the first layer. First, the layer break position for +DL media is adjustable and it likes it best when the file is split 50/50 between the layers. Second, it has to make the break at specific spots between PGC cells and some spots are a lot better than others. So the burning module has to do a quick analysis of the video file to determine the optimum layer-break position before it starts the burn. It can't do that if it has to re-code the file at the same time which means it doesn't know the final size of the file so it can't look at the 50/50 point for a suitable cell break. Hence it has to write it to the HDD first.

So first look to see that you are not re-coding the video. If you are not re-coding the video you should be able to do a direct burn to DVD+DL. Second is to use DVD-DL. -DL does not have an adjustable layer break -- you burn until you fill up layer #1 then switch to layer #2 . The resulting disk is unsymmetrical wrt layer usage but you can code the video and burn it in real time through the layer break without missing a beat.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #18 of 110 Old 08-14-2014, 11:39 AM

that makes sense but above my literacy grade - i get the drift of it though

but as to changing recording mode, nope - actually recorded two movies to +DL last night, first was 2.5 hours long, recorded in SP - when i tried to do a high speed burn it said it couldn't, so i went down the list to normal speed SP and that's what's described above

same happened with the 2nd movie, it was a nearly 2 hour XP recording (1:56) that i wanted on one disc, and same results - would not do a high speed burn, so had to select normal speed XP with the same "recording to HDD first".

i'll have to get my hands on some -R DL discs to try out if it does a direct burn - tks for the response

Last edited by larryccf; 08-14-2014 at 11:48 AM.
post #19 of 110 Old 08-15-2014, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can explain what is going on, sort of. The machine cannot record directly to any DL disk. For some reason, it has decided that it could not high speed copy your title to the DL disk, so in order to copy to the disk at all, it had to make a temporary, realtime copy of your source material, then high speed copy THAT temporary file to the DL disk. It has nothing to do with the layer break. In my experience, regardless of what would be BEST for the disk in general, the machine always completely fills the first layer before performing a layer break.

The real issue is, why did your EH59 not allow you to do a HS copy to the blank +R DL disk. On page 43 of the manual, there is a list of circumstances that will prevent HS copying from working:

Quote:
To high speed copy titles (or playlists created from those titles), set “Rec for High Speed Copy” to “On” before recording to the HDD (The default setting is “On”. ������ 58).
However in the following cases, copying to DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW (DVD-Video format), +R, +R DL and +RW using the high speed mode does not work.
≥When arranging multiple titles for copying, if any titles are recorded with “Rec for High Speed Copy” to “Off”, then you cannot perform with high-speed copy.
≥Playlists created from titles using a variety of recording modes or multiple titles using FR recording mode.
≥Playlists mixed with a variety of audio types (Dolby Digital and LPCM, etc.).
≥Titles that contain many deleted segments.
≥[EH69] SD Video titles copied to the HDD from an SD card.
≥[+R] [+R]DL] [+RW] Titles recorded in “EP” mode and “FR (recordings 5 hours or longer)” mode. (Displayed )
Don't ask me HOW MANY is "many deleted segments" because I don't know. I do know that sometimes, if I combine segments of different titles, even if they were recorded at the same mode, it won't allow HS copying of the playlist. Also, if I recorded a title on my EH50, for example, and then copied it to a -RAM disk, then copied it to the EH59, it won't allow HS copying. There is something squirrelly and capricious about some of these restrictions. FR recordings are a particular issue that you need to be cautious about. YOU WOULD THINK that recording a very long title at EP or FR was what the DL disks were made for, but they are restricted. I can get eight hours on a SL disk, but only 5 on a +R DL. You are doing the right thing, just find the right process. DL disks DO take a LONG time to write. It's just the way these things work.

In the select the titles for copying page, was there an icon on the thumbnail?
>>O means okay
>>! means -R only, no +R HS recording

Did any of these indicators (or others) appear? (manual page 46).

Luke

Last edited by Church AV Guy; 08-15-2014 at 12:21 AM.
post #20 of 110 Old 08-15-2014, 02:33 AM

thanks for that - but none of the conditions described in the manual existed

it was a single movie, no editing or deleted sections, dubbed to the HDD from streaming device and "record for HS copy" has been selected from the beginning, but i'll check it later today.

i did another movie last night, and recorded it originally in XP (1 hr 41min), and again would not allow HS copy, I went with normal speed FR to see if that would affect it, and no such luck -

as an fyi, it does HS copy when dubbing 2 episodes of monarch of the glen (SP 48 minutes per episode) to a -R SL disc with none of the "making a termporary HDD copy" at original play speed

I'm going to see about ordering some of those -R DL disc from japan, and see what results i get with those (spent 20+ minutes googling for -R DL here in the US and like others have stated, i might as well be looking for unicorns

Last edited by larryccf; 08-15-2014 at 02:42 AM.
post #21 of 110 Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the layer break. In my experience, regardless of what would be BEST for the disk in general, the machine always completely fills the first layer before performing a layer break.
That is a shame, but not unexpected or surprising for a simple stand-alone unit. If that is the way it works then the DVDR is much more suited to burning DVD-DL than +DL. But then we already knew that Panasonic favors burning "-" media.

+DL really is fussy about the location of the layer break if you want the resulting disk to playback with a smooth transition between layers. It's great for burning in PC's with software that can optimize the layer break position to balance the layers and keep the recorded area away from the disk edge when possible. That's probably why you see +DL all over the place and -DL is like hen's teeth. I would probably want to burn -DL in a Panasonic DVDR but not with my PC and ImgBurn.

I've been burning about 25 +DL disks to use up my old stash of Verbatims. At 2.4X speed they take forever to burn -- they actually take about 10 min longer to burn than a 4X BD-R.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #22 of 110 Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
That is a shame, but not unexpected or surprising for a simple stand-alone unit.

+DL really is fussy about the location of the layer break if you want the resulting disk to playback with a smooth transition between layers.

I've been burning about 25 +DL disks to use up my old stash of Verbatims. At 2.4X speed they take forever to burn -- they actually take about 10 min longer to burn than a 4X BD-R.
Yes, it is a simple minded machine, so I would not expect a lot of intelligence, including where to put a layer break for optimal disc performance, mostly because at any given time, it really doesn't know what the extent of your copy operation might be. If I copy a title to a disk, there is no reason to assume that I won't copy another title to the same disc later. The machine HAS to assume that I MIGHT completely fill the disk, so it starts at the beginning and writes to the end of layer one before it starts layer two. It isn't intelligent enough to realize that if you select copy & finalize, that there won't be more added, so it just uses the same process.

The fussiness you describe MIGHT be why the +R DL disce written by my Panasonic DVD recorders won't play in some machines.

Yes, burning DL disks IS a v.e.r.y slow process.

Luke

post #23 of 110 Old 08-16-2014, 04:55 AM

has anyone recently ordered from those japanese -R DL vendors? - if so, any problems receiving them, ie from customs or lost in shipment etc?
and which vendor did you order from? - the one showing a 100% feedback score states he doesn't provide or use a tracking svc shipment method

tks in advance

post #24 of 110 Old 08-16-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, burning DL disks IS a v.e.r.y slow process.
It takes about 1 hr to burn/verify a 2.4X +DL on my fastest reading burner -- 45 min for the burn and 15 min for the verify. I chewed up most of my 2.4X stash and have only 5 disks left. From then on the rest are 8X so we'll see how much that speeds up the process.

- kelson h

post #25 of 110 Old 08-16-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kelson,

I have both 2.4x and 8x +R DL discs. They both appear to burn at the same rate, at least I have not seen any obvious difference in the time it takes to make one over the other. The same with -R DL vs. +R DL discs. They seem to subjectively take roughly the same amount of time to copy. That must be due to the firmware in the burner in the DVD recorder.

Bear in mind, I only use DL discs when absolutely necessary. That's limited to two situations, where I have a long movie and I don't want to split it across two discs, and when I have a television series whose episodes are too long to fit three per SL disc, but I can fit five per DL disc.

The last time I purchased SL discs was November, from Amazon. I paid $0.2164 per disc. The last time I bought DL discs they cost me $1.2756 per disc. That is 5.89 time as much PER DISC. Since we are really buying capacity, not physical discs the cost of SL disk space is 20,375Mb per dollar (almost five discs at 4409 Mb per disc) wile the DL disk space is 6,294Mb/dollar (less than one disc at 8028Mb per disc). That makes DL disc space 3.24 times as expensive as SL disk space.

Luke

post #26 of 110 Old 08-16-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Kelson,

I have both 2.4x and 8x +R DL discs. They both appear to burn at the same rate, at least I have not seen any obvious difference in the time it takes to make one over the other. The same with -R DL vs. +R DL discs. They seem to subjectively take roughly the same amount of time to copy. That must be due to the firmware in the burner in the DVD recorder.

if they both burn at the same rate, i'm curious what exactly is the attraction to -R DL discs then?

At least with the verbatim +R DL, they employ the AZO coating that seems to be favored for durability vs the unknown of the TY discs from japan

post #27 of 110 Old 08-16-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have both 2.4x and 8x +R DL discs. They both appear to burn at the same rate, at least I have not seen any obvious difference in the time it takes to make one over the other . . . That must be due to the firmware in the burner in the DVD recorder.
Yes, I would assume they won't burn anything over 2.4X just like DVDR's won't burn 16X DVD-R at 16X. My PC burner will burn +DL faster.

Quote:
The last time I purchased SL discs was November, from Amazon. I paid $0.2164 per disc. The last time I bought DL discs they cost me $1.2756 per disc. That is 5.89 time as much PER DISC . . . That makes DL disc space 3.24 times as expensive as SL disk space.
And I pay $0.50/disk for BD-R which = 5xDVD-R. So DVD-R storage is 2X the cost of BD-R.
You knew I was going to throw that in --

BTW, did you ever get that disk?

- kelson h

post #28 of 110 Old 08-16-2014, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kelson,

Yeah, I expected you to chime in with the relative lower cost of BR media. Thanks for that!

Quote:
if they both burn at the same rate, i'm curious what exactly is the attraction to -R DL discs then?

At least with the verbatim +R DL, they employ the AZO coating that seems to be favored for durability vs the unknown of the TY discs from japan
larry, the difference between the dash and plus formats are available on line, just google it. As far as I am concerned, the +R DL format, as the Panasonic DVD recorders make them, is a lot less universally accepted than the -R format. I have sent +R DL discs to friends who have not been able to play them. I have never sent a -R DL disc to anyone who has had an issue with it. My experience, YMMV.

Luke

post #29 of 110 Old 08-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Church - tks for the info - the differences in the formats wasn't what i was asking but you did answer what i was so thanks for that

I've been googling the TY DVD-R DL discs and somehow found sears.com offering them for a much better price ($45 + about $17 shipping) to a virginia address so i assume they're still coming from Japan, but i'm a little more comfortable with the sears name

http://www.sears.com/book-taiyo-yuden-that-s-dvd-r-8x-speed/p-SPM10776074315

well, i ordered them and sears even accepted the $8 worth of "shop your way" points i had with them
they're projecting delivery by Aug 18th, so we'll see if they were delivered from inside the US

Last edited by larryccf; 08-18-2014 at 01:27 PM.
post #30 of 110 Old 08-18-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The Ty -R DL DVDs shipped from Japan would be ~$64 including shipping, the Sears deal comes in ~$63. I agree though I'd probably rather order from Sears than direct from a Japanese vendor I've never dealt with. Shipping also seems to be faster from Sears, I was quoted Aug 27 Sears, vs Sept 10th-Oct1 from Japan. Very very odd Sears carry such a rare and rather orphan product......
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page