To copy from VCR to HDD/DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To copy from VCR to HDD/DVD

My TV (Sharp, Model LC 60LE640U) is hooked up to my HDD/DVD Recorder (Philips 3576) and functions great.
I have a VCR (Sansui, Model 4510C) that I want to use to copy home movies from my VCR to my Philips.
How do I connect the VCR to the Philips and then how do I copy my movies? Please explain in simplest terms because I am not technically savvy. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Nana B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i looked for a copy of the user manual on your VCR but couldn't find one online - I'm probably the least qualified to answer but this is a fairly easy question plus i've got that same TV (and love it):

you should have 3 round receptacles on the rear side of your VCR that are colored Yellow (video), Red & White (audio) - they will accept RCA Composite cables like the ones pictured (can be had on Amazon approx $6). Be sure the sockets are labeled "OUT" beside or under them, that tells you they are for output. Your Phillips 3576 shows to have RCA composite input, so you'd simply connect the other end of the cables to the RCA sockets marked "IN". Be sure to keep the colored cables matched, ie red into red at both ends etc.

From there it's simply a matter of queing your VHS tapes to the point that you want to start recording, hit pause to stop the tape at that point, at the phillips, there should be a menu to select input component, and without a phillips manual i can't tell what it's will be called, but it shouldn't be difficult to figure out which one is the VCR or the RCA composite cable input - if it is confusing, after selecting the input on your TV for the philips HDD/DVD, just try all three till you see displayed on the TV screen what you saw displayed on the VCR when you stopped it - start record and then release the "pause" on the VCR

hope that helps

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK

Last edited by larryccf; 08-14-2014 at 04:33 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Larry - THANK YOU!!!!! You explained it beautifully. I won't be able to get to it till next week, but you gave me confidence that I CAN do it - - - even tho I'm NOT technically savvy : )

I hope this is where I should post my response.

Nana B
post #4 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 14
one suggestion - do some research or reviewing in this forum regarding blank dvds - i had no idea some were so cheaply mfgr'd (and brand names you'd think were quality) that they deteriorate after a few months. for a Short answer, go with Verbatim brand and DVD-R blanks - a spindle of 50 on amazon just ran me $12, so it's not like they're expensive

and no need for the the thanks, i'm not far ahead of you in terms of electronic literacy, and just passing forward the assist others gave me

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
post #5 of 5 Old 08-15-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The cable pictured is readily available at places like Radio Shack, Walmart, etc. There is no need to send away for it. I have a pretty large box full of them that I have never used. They just keep accumulating on me.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page