Panasonic EH-59 question - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Panasonic EH-59 question

was playing a movie i just recorded last night, and had HS copied to DVD - it had been recorded in SP

in playback, it started out once every 10-20 seconds the audio would drop out for maybe a 1/4-1/2 second. Within 15 minutes into the movie it was worse, like once every 5 seconds audio would drop out for a part of a second. By the 30 minute mark into the movie, it's doing it ever 2-3 seconds

I stopped the dvd and played the movie from the HDD - plays fine, no audio dropouts

figure i'll try recording it to dvd in normal speed to see if it's a high speed issue

anyone had this happen?

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have never seen or heard of this happening, and I have made a LOT of disks with my EH59s. I have no idea what it could be.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #3 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

i'm wondering if it was a bad disc - movie played fine from HDD, then i dubbedd it again to dvd-r but at normal speed FR and dvd was fine. Then i tried two discs (4 episodes of breaking bad) that had been recorded after the movie and also dubbed HS after the movie and they were fine.
Today i'll try another high speed dub of the same movie - if i get same results it has to be something in the bitrate or whatever of the movie (2 Guns)

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
post #4 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I've never had that happen and all I ever do is a HS copy from HDD to DVD.....really sounds like a bad DVD, what brand and format is it? Also what are you playing the disc back in, the EH-59 or some other DVD player? if another DVD player how is it hooked to your TV.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

all i've been using are verbatim azo dvd-R - and played back on another dvd (Sony BDP-S580)

as i said in my last post, i've ruled out the Pan EH-59 as 2 discs dubbed after the subject disc, played fine with no dropouts

and same HDD recording, dubbed at normal speed SP, recorded fine with no drop outs - i've since dubbed 4 more episodes of breaking bad at HS onto 2 discs and they played fine as well.

Either it's something to do with the bitrate or coding on that particular movie that doesn't tolerate HS dubbing or it was a bad disc. At this point, i'm not curious enough to waste a disc trying to HS dub that movie again. I will play closer attention, ie check my discs after dubbing, from now on.

post #6 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

What is really curious about this is that you reported audio glitches, but no corresponding video frame drop-outs. When the title is HS copied from the HDD to the DVD, it's all just digital data, so, theoretically, there should be no distinction between the audio and video information. I assume the audio was dropping out of both right and left channels. THAT'S a really weird glitch if ever I saw one.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
What is really curious about this is that you reported audio glitches, but no corresponding video frame drop-outs. When the title is HS copied from the HDD to the DVD, it's all just digital data, so, theoretically, there should be no distinction between the audio and video information. I assume the audio was dropping out of both right and left channels. THAT'S a really weird glitch if ever I saw one.
yeah, both channels with maybe a 1/3 of a two syllable word dropping out - it was odd noticing at first as the audio dropouts were spaced out but after a bit i noticed it was a repeating glitch, and occurring or repeating at shorter intervals.

post #8 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
yeah, both channels with maybe a 1/3 of a two syllable word dropping out - it was odd noticing at first as the audio dropouts were spaced out but after a bit i noticed it was a repeating glitch, and occurring or repeating at shorter intervals.

If it had started out with short intervals, and the time between dropouts became longer, I could blame the disk with a bad spot that was a line from the center to the edge, as the disk spins faster in the beginning, and slows down as it reads further and further from the center hub. Yours was doing the opposite, so it's really hard to imagine the cause if it isn't in the recorded copy on the HDD, as you said it was not. I'll have to think about it, but it's got me stumped. (I guess "wasting" another disk testing the title wouldn't be a problem for me since I have about 2500 blanks on the shelf.)

Luke

post #9 of 10 Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
If it had started out with short intervals, and the time between dropouts became longer, I could blame the disk with a bad spot that was a line from the center to the edge, as the disk spins faster in the beginning, and slows down as it reads further and further from the center hub. Yours was doing the opposite, so it's really hard to imagine the cause if it isn't in the recorded copy on the HDD, as you said it was not. I'll have to think about it, but it's got me stumped. (I guess "wasting" another disk testing the title wouldn't be a problem for me since I have about 2500 blanks on the shelf.)
I may be reversed in my thinking, but physically, with the disc turning at a constant speed, the laser is moving or covering more distance as it travels outward from the spindle, so it'd seem like that would dictate "faster". But i think i understand what you were saying, ie if it was a bad disc, the intervals between drop outs would seem to have been closer or shorter intervals at the beginning of the movie and grow larger as the movie progressed.

on thinking about it,(i've already tossed the subject dvd out) i believe the video was there but was freezing for the micro second that the audio dropped out. This afternoon i will burn another HS copy of the same movie - if it recreates the same dropouts, then it's something to do with the bitrate or coding on the movie, if it doesn't then it was a bad disc.

We'll see.........

post #10 of 10 Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

okay, Church AV Guy, you shamed me into burning another HS copy of that movie

this copies plays fine, played in 2 different players (sony & samsung) and no drop outs
it had to be some freaky defect on the disc - as i said earlier, no video drop out that i saw, but i seem to recall there was a slight "freezing" to the video whenever the audio was out so it may have been the player compensating thru whatever ability that keeps motion scenes from looking like they're "stuttering" - hope that conveys, i'm sure it conveyed my AV illiteracy

it might still have been a freaky software glitch in the pan or maybe a small pc of dust on the disc, but i'm satisfied it was the disc, as i've burnt about 7 episodes of Breaking Bad at HS with no repeat of the drop outs and now a 2nd copy of the same movie, which at least eliminates the coding in the movie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page