No power; is HDD salvageable in a Magnavox MDR515H? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > DVD Recorders (Standard Def) > No power; is HDD salvageable in a Magnavox MDR515H?

DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

cb83580
08:25 AM Liked: 0
post #1 of 7
08-29-2014 | Posts: 3
So, after a few years of faithful use, my 515 died last night. No power, won't turn on. I had quite a lot stored on the harddrive.

Am I screwed? Or is there a way to get the data off of that HDD?

I'm planning on making a trip to Walmart to buy a replacement this weekend (likely the MDR535H/F7).
mickinct's Avatar mickinct
08:35 AM Liked: 24
post #2 of 7
08-29-2014 | Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb83580 View Post
So, after a few years of faithful use, my 515 died last night. No power, won't turn on. I had quite a lot stored on the harddrive.

I'm planning on making a trip to Walmart to buy a replacement this weekend (likely the MDR535H/F7).
hi open unit and press reset button.
wajo's Avatar wajo
08:41 AM Liked: 142
post #3 of 7
08-29-2014 | Posts: 14,089
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
hi open unit and press reset button.
You can revive your 515 without opening the box, just use a Soft Reset as described here... the no-risk procedure for non-gearheads
cb83580
08:51 AM Liked: 0
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
You can revive your 515 without opening the box, just use a Soft Reset as described here... the no-risk procedure for non-gearheads
I tried that this morning. No dice

I'm not sure how long it needs to be unplugged, though. I think I had left it about 30 minutes or so. I'll try that again, though.

It's weird. My power went out last night and all other devices plugged in to the same power strip seemed fine, except the DVR.

ETA: now, I see that the link says to leave it unplugged for 2.5 hours. I'll definitely try again later.
wajo's Avatar wajo
09:16 AM Liked: 142
post #5 of 7
Quote:
I tried that this morning. No dice

I'm not sure how long it needs to be unplugged, though. I think I had left it about 30 minutes or so. I'll try that again, though.

It's weird. My power went out last night and all other devices plugged in to the same power strip seemed fine, except the DVR.

ETA: now, I see that the link says to leave it unplugged for 2.5 hours. I'll definitely try again later.
For a 515 you have to keep unplugged for at least 2.5 hours. When you replug while holding the power button on front of unit. Hold power button in until you see "P-on" in front panel display. You should then see dashes (--:--) in the front panel display, indicating the unit has lost all residual power.

Make sure you write down or take a pic of your timer programs because you'll lose those.
cb83580
11:12 AM Liked: 0
post #6 of 7
UPDATE: The soft-reset worked! All is not lost.

But I'm still curious about my original question, though. Does anyone know if there's anything that we could do if either the hard or soft reset does not work? Are the HDDs able to be hooked up to/transferred to a computer?
wajo's Avatar wajo
11:23 AM Liked: 142
post #7 of 7
The best I can offer is info from the latest Philips DVR 5710 where I found that at least two apps can access files on that unit's external USB-HDDs. Its Linux/XFS/.tts files can be accessed and copied to a PC HDD.

Those apps can access many file systems and file types, so odds are good (speculation only) that they can also access older Mag files. The hardest part might be removing the HDD and connecting it to your PC via USB.

Your PC does not have to "mount" the HDD with the PC's OS (USB HDDs won't appear in your Windows file system)... you just need to open one of the access apps while the HDD (or thumb drive) is connected.
Gear in this thread - MDR515H? by PriceGrabber.com
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Subscribe to this Thread