No power; is HDD salvageable in a Magnavox MDR515H? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs down No power; is HDD salvageable in a Magnavox MDR515H?

So, after a few years of faithful use, my 515 died last night. No power, won't turn on. I had quite a lot stored on the harddrive.

Am I screwed? Or is there a way to get the data off of that HDD?

I'm planning on making a trip to Walmart to buy a replacement this weekend (likely the MDR535H/F7).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb83580 View Post
So, after a few years of faithful use, my 515 died last night. No power, won't turn on. I had quite a lot stored on the harddrive.

I'm planning on making a trip to Walmart to buy a replacement this weekend (likely the MDR535H/F7).
hi open unit and press reset button.

MickinCT
post #3 of 9 Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
hi open unit and press reset button.
You can revive your 515 without opening the box, just use a Soft Reset as described here... the no-risk procedure for non-gearheads

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-29-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
You can revive your 515 without opening the box, just use a Soft Reset as described here... the no-risk procedure for non-gearheads
I tried that this morning. No dice

I'm not sure how long it needs to be unplugged, though. I think I had left it about 30 minutes or so. I'll try that again, though.

It's weird. My power went out last night and all other devices plugged in to the same power strip seemed fine, except the DVR.

ETA: now, I see that the link says to leave it unplugged for 2.5 hours. I'll definitely try again later.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-29-2014, 08:16 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:

I'm not sure how long it needs to be unplugged, though. I think I had left it about 30 minutes or so. I'll try that again, though.

It's weird. My power went out last night and all other devices plugged in to the same power strip seemed fine, except the DVR.

ETA: now, I see that the link says to leave it unplugged for 2.5 hours. I'll definitely try again later.
For a 515 you have to keep unplugged for at least 2.5 hours. When you replug while holding the power button on front of unit. Hold power button in until you see "P-on" in front panel display. You should then see dashes (--:--) in the front panel display, indicating the unit has lost all residual power.

Make sure you write down or take a pic of your timer programs because you'll lose those.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: The soft-reset worked! All is not lost.

But I'm still curious about my original question, though. Does anyone know if there's anything that we could do if either the hard or soft reset does not work? Are the HDDs able to be hooked up to/transferred to a computer?
post #7 of 9 Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 AM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The best I can offer is info from the latest Philips DVR 5710 where I found that at least two apps can access files on that unit's external USB-HDDs. Its Linux/XFS/.tts files can be accessed and copied to a PC HDD.

Those apps can access many file systems and file types, so odds are good (speculation only) that they can also access older Mag files. The hardest part might be removing the HDD and connecting it to your PC via USB.

Your PC does not have to "mount" the HDD with the PC's OS (USB HDDs won't appear in your Windows file system)... you just need to open one of the access apps while the HDD (or thumb drive) is connected.

Last edited by wajo; 08-31-2014 at 02:30 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-13-2015, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

This has happened several times to my mdr515 after a power outage. The soft reset for the mdr515 is unplug for 2 1/2 hours minimum. Then hold the power button on the unit when you plug it back in. Works every time for me. My DVD burner quit working. Won't recognize blank discs that have worked in this unit for 3 years. Anybody know anything about it ?
post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2015, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I too have used the soft reset many times on my MDR515H, but now it is no longer working. When I plug it in while also holding the power button nothing happens. There is nothing on the display. I hear a quiet high pitch sound but that is all. Any ideas on what I can do to regain power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page