3Likes
  • 3 Post By jjeff

post #1 of 3 Old 04-06-2015, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sima Video Copymaster

I am not sure which forum to post this but I thought I would start with this one.
I have copied quite a large number ( more than a thousand) of vhs recordings to my DVD recorder, which is an old Panasonic DMR HS2 (brand new at the time) and I ran them through a Sima Copymaster, with the belief that the video would copy better. Was I misguided, as I found out much later that that device could remove copy protection from videos. All my videos were self-recorded, mostly clips of horse races broadcast OTA.
Was this procedure unnecessary, does the Sima actually enhance the video and improve the quality of the recording?
Anyone have any positive experience with this device? Or should I not bother in future?
Any advice would be appreciated.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-06-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 278
IMO the only purpose of such a device is to remove CP, they all degrade the picture to some degree.
I made a similar mistake, I installed a converter on the line input of my DVDR and ran all my DVDs and VHS tapes through the converter before burning them to DVD, only later did I discover that my converter lightened the picture as well as very slightly softened the picture The vast majority of what I burnt to DVD wasn't CP so it was a complete waste. Now I only use such converters if my source is CP'd, otherwise I remove the filter.
I have several Simas and even a Grex, they all degrade the picture to a varying degree, some quite badly, some barely noticeable, but they all degrade the picture
billmich, Kelson and Cetewayo like this.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-18-2015, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
IMO the only purpose of such a device is to remove CP, they all degrade the picture to some degree.
I made a similar mistake, I installed a converter on the line input of my DVDR and ran all my DVDs and VHS tapes through the converter before burning them to DVD, only later did I discover that my converter lightened the picture as well as very slightly softened the picture The vast majority of what I burnt to DVD wasn't CP so it was a complete waste. Now I only use such converters if my source is CP'd, otherwise I remove the filter.
I have several Simas and even a Grex, they all degrade the picture to a varying degree, some quite badly, some barely noticeable, but they all degrade the picture
Thanks for the input.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page